cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A little quiet in here.......

mdzcpa
Level 12
I know its been a crazy year. Kaby Lake never had a chance to settled in. X299 refreshed the HEDT segment. AMD stirred it all up with Ryzen and TR. Maybe folks are just burned out of the new hardware rolling out each quarter. Even if Coffee Lake was a bit rushed by Intel to get into the "more than 4" core arena for enthusiast mainstream, so far these systems appear to be solid beasts. But the lack of internet buzz around Coffee Lake is remarkable.

My current Kaby Lake build (which I love) is going to the wife who is in need of an upgrade. She is still rocking her Devils Canyon and Hero VII, but its time to bump that down to our guest rig for holiday LAN gaming sessions. I'm not sure I'd upgrade from Kaby to Coffee just for the 2 extra cores, but since I'm in the market for new build, I think I'm going to really enjoy it. Kaby was my first non HEDT build in many years and I'm looking for a few more cores now for non gaming activities.

I hope to see some discussion on Coffee Lake & Z370 boards here soon. I won't be building for a few more months and I'm going to choose my parts very carefully. I'm also going back to full on custom water cooling. Post up your Z370 plans if you have 'em

This is the quietest release I can remember in a decade (short of some really lame AMD releases a few years back).
13 REPLIES 13

Korth
Level 14
Intel's CFL launch strategy is all over the map, lol. Their marketing almost appears panicked, they're mud-slinging AMD and trying to assert Intel superiority in consumer and enterprise markets, obvious lack of focus. Trying to push CFL and Z370 (and, presumably other 300 Series chipsets) out the door before they've fully matured 200 Series (and X299 HEDT).

I think Intel got too complacent and caught off guard. They've been artificially structuring Intel dependency for too long, charging ever-increasing prices for too long, arbitrarily locking and limiting features for too long. AMD's products have problems of their own but they (need to) enable and unlock everything possible so their products look compelling and Intel's proprietary lockouts become more evident to the majority.

And then Intel carries the burden of things like Optane. They've already invested (and advertised) so heavily that they're caught in a trap, they have to keep buying more ongoing R&D to figure out a way to make Optane worth all the hype and expectation. AMD has no such burden.

I don't like being exposed to generation after generation of rushed architectures and rushed mobo implementations. Mountains of uncorrected (and uncorrectable) errata keep piling up while another mountain of other issues have not even been properly identified. Just no time to fix existing products when you're behind on upcoming products! But at least the stuff on the very high end tends to remain aggressively supported for a while, long enough to address the most egregious flaws and oversights.

I do like the competitive stimulus. Intel and AMD want our money and loyalty, ASUS and all the rest want our money and loyalty. They have to keep doing better and keep pricing lower to stay ahead of the competition. So we get more options at lower costs. Though I doubt the momentum can be sustained indefinitely, things will settle down to "the old ways" soon enough.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Stock is extremely limited currently.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Stock is extremely limited currently.

Indeed. I ordered my CPU + Mobo 20 minutes past midnight on the 5th (CPU is still on backorder), and I am starting to wonder about the ASUS motherboard stock as well. The Maximus X Hero WI-FI AC I ordered was sold out within a day as well (I'm in Denmark), so now I am hoping they actually set one aside for me while it was still in stock, while I am waiting for them to get the 8700K from their supplier. I probably should have made them separate orders 😛

Once people start actually getting the products the hype and discussion will probably go up a bit.

Maybe wait for the z390 to come out second half next year. Rumours have it that intel might have a 8 core coffee lake that comes with it and maybe even ice lake.

I thought about coffee lake as an upgrade to my 3570k but see the z370 as a one chip board. Just bought a 7740k and an Apex board. Don't really need a 6 cores yet.

mandomagic wrote:
Maybe wait for the z390 to come out second half next year. Rumours have it that intel might have a 8 core coffee lake that comes with it and maybe even ice lake.

I thought about coffee lake as an upgrade to my 3570k but see the z370 as a one chip board. Just bought a 7740k and an Apex board. Don't really need a 6 cores yet.

The Z390 could very well be a year away though.

Personally I'm on a 2500K @4.5GHz. It's still decent, but it's definitely starting to show its age, so I am not going to wait any longer 🙂

Nerror wrote:
The Z390 could very well be a year away though.

Personally I'm on a 2500K @4.5GHz. It's still decent, but it's definitely starting to show its age, so I am not going to wait any longer 🙂

I got tired of waiting but waited the 8700k benchmarks and went with a 7740x. There is very little single core ipc performance increase between the 2. I know the x299 is more expensive but I mainly need single core performance with the games I play and it offers an upgrade path. Hopefully end of next year there will be a coffee lake extreme on socket 2066.

Not many games use 6 cores but with ryzen and intels ditching the 4 cores this will change but not for a while.

8700k should be great though and see you through the next 5 years especially coming from a 2500k but OP does not really need to upgrade soon and has time to wait.

There has been lots of hype just not here regarding z370. Just look at the intel reddit forum people are going nuts trying a buy a coffee lake,

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
I did have the same idea. I want to get z370 cause the six core since i am starting to make streams in my facebook club here in panama. beside i still running a 6700k on a z270 board. I am happy but i was planning to get more cores. Intel just push the chips to fast 3 generacions in less of a year time just to outpaced amd. is nuts. Many thinks that new chip cheaper prices. WRONG. i will try to get the 8700k when they are on stock.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Korth
Level 14
lol @Nerror - I see you already got your upgrade plan - Z370 MAXIMUS X, i7-8700K, 2x16GB DDR4-4000.

(You may need to buy an LGA1151 socket-refit kit for your NH-D15, if you're recycling it from your old LGA1155 system.)
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
lol @Nerror - I see you already got your upgrade plan - Z370 MAXIMUS X, i7-8700K, 2x16GB DDR4-4000.

(You may need to buy an LGA1151 socket-refit kit for your NH-D15, if you're recycling it from your old LGA1155 system.)

I ordered the parts at least. 😄 Well, the RAM I am still slightly undecided on. The NH-D15 is coming brand new, so I hope it fits..?