cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front Panel Audio Connectors not working PROPERLY

Assassinguy2623
Level 7
Hi,
I am currently having problems with the front audio connectors on my S340 Elite case.

HERE IS WHAT HAPPENS:

When I plug headphones into front jack I get a crackling noise (no audio) but it is worth to note that interaction with the computer like clicking buttons and doing things that normally wouldn't create a sound and also plugging the HDMI cable to the graphics card make the crackling noise change slightly.

When I have got a speaker plugged into the back LINE OUT the audio works fine. But when I plug my headphones into the front connector WHEN THE BACK SPEAKER IS PLUGGED IN and click 'headphones' in the asus realtek audio manager I am getting clear audio for about 5 seconds until it goes crackly again but then the audio starts to come out the speaker again clearly so I am not sure what that is all about but I believe this proves that there is a clear connection to the front audio connector so I just believe there is a driver/software issue but I am now sure how to fix it so I would like any help anyone can offer thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

Korth
Level 14
If you can, try routing the front audio cable away from any power-carrying cables. Just an idea.

I see some random complaints about "defective" or "poor quality" audio in that chassis model. If the cables are low-quality or poorly-shielded then you might want to upgrade/replace/mod them.

Which motherboard and BIOS version, operating system, ASUS audio software, Realtek driver versions, and headphone model/impedance, etc?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

I do not believe this is interference because for the first 5 seconds I plug my headphones in and select headphones in realtek audio manager the audio is crystal clear this is why I am kinda confused and believe this is a software issue.

BIOS VER: 0906
Audio Software: Sonic Studio 3, Latest Ver of Realtek Audio Manager from Asus website
MOBO: Asus Strix z270f
My headphones are turtle beach but I know they are not the problem
What is impendence?

So yeah, I believe this is a driver/software issue but I don't know how to fix it so any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Korth wrote:
If you can, try routing the front audio cable away from any power-carrying cables. Just an idea.

I see some random complaints about "defective" or "poor quality" audio in that chassis model. If the cables are low-quality or poorly-shielded then you might want to upgrade/replace/mod them.

That's all I got, lol.

Maybe somebody else can offer you a better solution.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Welp, thanks for your help anyways.

Korth
Level 14
If it was a software issue then it would likely sound the same regardless which audio output you use. The software processes digital audio data, the same data regardless which output is used, not different processing for each output, it gains noise only after it's passed through the DAC hardware and has become an analog waveform.

That mobo uses one codec (SupremeFX S1220A aka Realtek ALC1220) for all audio ports. Some audio-grade op-amps (one RC4580, two OPA1688), audio-grade capacitors, and other parts (for "de-pop" and filtering) are attached directly to one stereo (L+R) channel audio output for the headphones. I couldn't find whether this headphone-dedicated enhanced audio is connected to the rear outputs or the front outputs, but I note that only the rear circuitry has full-channel PCB-layer isolation and shielded parts.

It could be a software issue, but I think it's almost definitely hardware.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267466-31-front-panel-audio-static-noise

[/Korth]

Okay, it was just that I was a bit confused why it was working for the first 5 secs and I swear the software sometimes mutes one output it another output is being used but I believe what you are saying is right and I am going to remove the Hard Drive and see if I am still getting the static and I'll go from there.

Will the hard drive being unplugged be enough to stop the interference?

Korth
Level 14
Just unplugging/disconnecting the drive would be enough, it could only cause interference when powered and active.

But before removing a drive, first test whether it actually causes any interference. Start a large file/folder copy or something to make the drive busy while playing audio through the front jack, it if doesn't add any noise then the drive isn't a problem.

Likewise you can also listen for increased noise when any chassis fans, CPU fans, GPU fans, or PSU fans spin up; when pumps (on liquid coolers) spin up; when processor performances increase under load; even when system temps begin to increase. You can force these sorts of things to happen on demand by running heavy software. You can also wiggle the audio connector cable (at both ends) and pinch, pull, or flex it a little to determine if it's a source of noise.

If none of the "active" hardware in your system seems to cause noise then there's no need to remove or replace anything.

[/Korth]

I have disconnected the Hard Drive plugs and moved the audio cable away from any other cables, but still no difference.
I am at a bit of a loss here, any other suggestions?