cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need USB 2.0 header clarification for apex VI

mandomagic
Level 7
Hi all,

Just a little confused with the actual amount of USB 2.0 header on the APEX VI board. Like many have to use at least 3 headers for front panel and corsair link.

The specs on asus for USB ports state 5 x USB 2.0 port(s) (3 at mid-board) .

The specs related to internal I/O connectors say 1 x USB 2.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 1 USB 2.0 port(s).

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-APEX/specifications/

In the user guide that came with the board claims there are only 2 USB 2.0 headers mid-board.

I would really like to know if the headers circled below can all be used as USB 2.0 Headers.

3 REPLIES 3

jab383
Level 13
The distinction in the specs and user's guide is between 'ports' and 'headers'.
The two midboard USB2.0 headers give you 3 USB2.0 ports numbers 10, 13 and 14. The other 2 ports, 11 and 12, are on the back panel, making 5 total.
The ROG extension 8-pin connection is not a USB header - no USB ports on there.

JustinThyme
Level 13
USB 2.0 has certainly go to the wayside in the last few chipsets. You can add an internal hub, that’s what most have done to get the extra connections.*

*https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Internal-Controller-Black-AC-IUSBH-M1/dp/B01IFGFTJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks for clearing that up. So essentially I have 2 usb 2.0 headers on the board and if I used a overclocking panel then I would only have one header free, Really im only short one header to connect 2 corsair link devices and front panel usb.

The hub is a little overkill for my needs I might just Combine 2 Corsair USB Cables into One Header by pulling the pins as they are both 4 pin.

Any problems doing this?

Would be nice if someone sold a Y split mini USB2.0 to header cable for the corsair devices but cant find one.