cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! ux501jw 960m throttling

KareemS
Level 7
so I have a ux501jw with a 960m in it, and the card all of a sudden throttles at 78c (which it always hits when starting a game). I was out of warranty so I sent it to someone to replace the thermal paste and added new thermal pads, so the machine runs much cooler and cools down faster, but this hasn't done anything to stop the 960m to throttle to 405mhz base clock and memory clock. weird enough it doesn't matter whether the machine is plugged in or not, performance is the same, hits 78c and then throttles down. i updated the bios to the latest version, did a fresh install of the drivers and then did a factory when none of those worked. Batman AK used to run 30 to 40fps now runs at 12fps. I'm not sure what to do. I tried installing new vga and chipset drivers from the asus website, contacted asus whom said to pay 670 for repair, and been googling to see if anyone else had the issue. after some digging I realized some people have had a similar issue, but no answer was worked out. i heard there was a ROG laptop that was locked to 74c and figured this community might know better.
1 REPLY 1

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
KareemS wrote:
so I have a ux501jw with a 960m in it, and the card all of a sudden throttles at 78c (which it always hits when starting a game). I was out of warranty so I sent it to someone to replace the thermal paste and added new thermal pads, so the machine runs much cooler and cools down faster, but this hasn't done anything to stop the 960m to throttle to 405mhz base clock and memory clock. weird enough it doesn't matter whether the machine is plugged in or not, performance is the same, hits 78c and then throttles down. i updated the bios to the latest version, did a fresh install of the drivers and then did a factory when none of those worked. Batman AK used to run 30 to 40fps now runs at 12fps. I'm not sure what to do. I tried installing new vga and chipset drivers from the asus website, contacted asus whom said to pay 670 for repair, and been googling to see if anyone else had the issue. after some digging I realized some people have had a similar issue, but no answer was worked out. i heard there was a ROG laptop that was locked to 74c and figured this community might know better.

Sorry for the trouble.

According to your description, we might still suggest you to bring back your laptop to our service center to check the condition of the machine.

The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/

Also you can contact the local service center for help. The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/CallUs#