cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 way sli

Detleg
Level 12
Hi Yall
Will the Apex support 4 way sli with the Intel Core i7-7820X Processor with 28 lanes or do I need the i9-7900X Processor with 44 lanes
Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

JustinThyme
Level 13
Not with the 7820 Bro. Not enough PCIe lanes. Best you can do is 3 at X8 and that leaves but 4 lanes for everything else.
Im not sure Id bother personally. From what Ive read (no personal experience at it) there is no gain to be had other than a few points in some synthetic benchmarks for competitive clocking. Zero in gaming. Well at least that's with all things pascal, there is a reason they only make a 2 way HB SLI bridge. Officially not supported and Ive seen multiple reviewers show its a waste of time to try. Get 2 high end cards and call it a day and take that leap to the 7900X or better so you can run them both at X16 otherwise its one at one at X8 even though the manual has a typo saying 2 at X16. How can you run two at X16 when you only have 28 lanes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCCEBfoUUPU

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Detleg
Level 12
Thanks Bud 🙂

Korth
Level 14
https://www.asus.com/microsite/mb/cross/X299/

One ASUS X299 model - PRIME X299-DELUXE - allows 28-lane CPU x16/x4/x8/x2 and 16-lane CPU x8/x1/x8/x2.
(And I know it doesn't quite add up, maybe more typos, maybe ASUS secret sauce, but that's what the ASUS specs say, lol.)

There might not be much practical difference between x16 and x8 outside of benchmarks, but x4 and x2 and x1 will certainly throttle GPU contributions towards game fps.
A terrible waste if you're running 4 GPU cards. I agree with above - get only 2 (maybe 3) GPU cards or get a CPU with more lanes. x16/x16 is the sweet spot, x16/x8 is still excellent, x8/x8 is still very good, 3-GPU and 4-GPU add diminishing returns, and that's on the few games which actually make good use of multi-GPUs (most games scale multi-GPU quite poorly, sad to say).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

JustinThyme
Level 13
Yeah the technical writer is using common core math..........You know where you have to subtract to add and 2+2 takes 4 steps to get to 4...
CPU lanes and SLI arent the same though. Any card made in the last several years needs a minimum of X8 to even work. No matter what you do you cant do more than 3 on a 28 Lane CPU, thats in all the board manuals.

In this table is shows a 28 lane CPU supporting 32 lanes.
With a 44 lane all is good and you can run X16, X8, X8, X8 if you want. Sadly Nvidia does not support more than 2 since pascal hit the scene. I read up on this one a lot and a several reviewers tried it and actually got worse scores adding a 3rd card. If you are using them for nose mining....uhh I mean BC mining tou can probable get better results but that doesn't involve SLI AFAIK. If you could get any tangible benefit out of it Id be all over it. For what I've spent already whats another $1600 on two more Strix 1080 Ti OC cards.

When Im ready to switch over to the RVIE rig being my main Ill plug in the two Strix 1080 A8G cards to see what happens. My bet is what I have will deault backwards to the 1080 and Ill end up with worse performance.

Out of my RVIE user guide 1-8 The dual config on the 28 lane is impossible and it would be X16, X8 amd even the single would be X16, X8, X4

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Korth
Level 14
Hmm, a lot of people run x8/x4/x4 multi-GPUs on non-HEDT mobos.

Not my thing, I don't see the sense in buying $3000 worth of GPUs then cheaping out a few hundred bucks on mobo+CPU. So I've never bothered to look up the benchmarks, etc.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Detleg
Level 12
Thing is I already got 3 gtx 1080's probably not gonna waste to buy another but at least I want to use it and to the full extent i can get, so if it means the x9, so be it lol and the Rampage vi E

Detleg wrote:
Thing is I already got 3 gtx 1080's probably not gonna waste to buy another but at least I want to use it and to the full extent i can get, so if it means the x9, so be it lol and the Rampage vi E

Well seeing how your going there anyhow, let us know if you see any difference between 2 and 3 in SLI. Like I said officially Nvidia does not support 3 way SLI on pascal GPUs. Ive seen multple reviewers set them up and actually get a drop in performance adding the 3rd. If it can be done with some gain other than looking good Ill jump all over it.

Detleg
Level 12
Thanks for putting in your input Bud, but while im still waiting for a particular X299 mobo to hit the market it looks like they will jump straight to X370 pissin me straight off, I know it probably makes no sense of the way I want it, but I want it because I can, lol you know how it is!! how many good x299 are out?? but none of the top makers producing one that will blow you away just like the RIVE did, and still probably is the best out today.

Korth
Level 14
All X299 motherboards are "good", there are no "bad" ones, they all have more features than R4E.

Already RAMPAGE VI APEX and EXTREME mobos. If any kind of "R6E10" comes out it will be late-gen, after the first couple waves of 3xx Series mobos are well underway, probably just before Intel comes out with their next "X399" (?) HEDT.

What mobo are you waiting for?

[/Korth]