cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus z170-a motherboard.. putting a sata 4 port card in one of the other pciex16?

markm75
Level 7
I was considering adding 2 more sata ports to the system.. but in doing so i think it may cause an issue.. unsure..

If i add a pciex4 card to the 3rd pciex16 slot.. i'm aware that two of the sata ports that are built in become disabled.. according to the manual.
However..

what if a pciex4 card is added to the 2nd pciex16 slot? Will this degrade the ability of the video card (1080 ftx) in the primary slot.. ie: reduce bandwidth?

I guess if so, the only recourse it to see if i can find a 2 port pciex1 card that would be the "equivalent" of the onboard sata III ports in terms of speed and performance

Thanks for any info here
2 REPLIES 2

G75rog
Level 10
For sata you can use an X1 card because of their low bandwidth. Amazon carries a bunch of them with varying prices according to ports and performance.
I use 2 X4 cards for Samsung 960 Pro NVMEs which reduces the pcie lanes to 8 for the Vega 64 which still runs great.
One of these cards is the Asus new Hyper X16 which only 1 drive can be used in a 170 chipset board. The Rampage VI Apex x299 arrives Monday. 🙂
I used to have 6 1TB ssd's on the board and they were all replaced with 3 960 Pro NVME's with 6 times the read/write rates. No going back.

G75rog wrote:
For sata you can use an X1 card because of their low bandwidth. Amazon carries a bunch of them with varying prices according to ports and performance.
I use 2 X4 cards for Samsung 960 Pro NVMEs which reduces the pcie lanes to 8 for the Vega 64 which still runs great.
One of these cards is the Asus new Hyper X16 which only 1 drive can be used in a 170 chipset board. The Rampage VI Apex x299 arrives Monday. 🙂
I used to have 6 1TB ssd's on the board and they were all replaced with 3 960 Pro NVME's with 6 times the read/write rates. No going back.

Ok, well i guess what i'm asking is what mininum spec card to use in the pciex1 slot or the x16 slots and not lose performance either in the video card or on the hard drives that connect to the card.

It was my understanding, i think, that pciex1 is ok for 2 sata III drives to work at full capacity.. I think x4 was needed for more ports?

Then the whole question of if its x4, can it go in the second x16 slot normally for SLI and not affect the video card.

I guess if a x1 card does the trick to just add two drives, that solves my issue though. (basically i need to add 2 more and not affect anything).