cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX: HD Volumes E: and F: suddenly gone missing....

Swampthing
Level 8
I noticed this morning that hard drive volumes E: and F: no longer show up in My Computer and are no longer accessible. Given the computer is just three weeks old, this is kind of bizarre. I had to remove one of the hard drives earlier when accessing the network card because a small screw got loose and I thought it might have gone under the hard drive. I carefully removed the drive with all screws, found the little screw, and reseated the hard drive. After noticing this was not available, I decided to remove the hard drive again, and reinsert. They still don't show up under My Computer or Device Manager. Any ideas how to get them back?

BTW, the drives are the originals and I have barely put anything on them except for pictures and stuff like that.
Asus Strix G733QSA-XS99-17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop
GeForce RTX 3080, AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
360Hz 3ms 17.3” Full HD 1920x1080 IPS-Type Display
Razer Deathadder v2 Mouse
Verizon FiOS: Gigabit connection
3 REPLIES 3

Chastity
Level 10
If the drive bay in question is the one with the ribbon connection, then I suggest checking the ribbon cable connections on the SATA breakout card, and on the mobo connection.

Case: 1637901
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Swampthing
Level 8
Spoke with Asus Technical Support. Once again an utter waste of time. His only advice was to reboot (duh...) and then check "My Computer" and see the volumes weren't there. When they didn't show up... his only advice was to pack up the entire 10lb computer and mail it off to some Asus support somewhere. If that's the best Asus can do for telephone tech support, I won't waste my time with them anymore.

UPDATE: Not sure which drive handles volumes E: and F: to be honest. I'll try pulling both drives and reseating them to see if that makes a difference. I'll also check the drive ribbon by pulling it and resetting it.

ANOTHER UPDATE: So I removed the ribbon cable and reseated it carefully. Looks like it might have been tugged a bit as it was a little exposed. Turned the computer back on, and both volumes are back...

SAD to think Asus Close Support would have had me send something back and do a 10 day turnaround for something this simple...
Asus Strix G733QSA-XS99-17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop
GeForce RTX 3080, AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
360Hz 3ms 17.3” Full HD 1920x1080 IPS-Type Display
Razer Deathadder v2 Mouse
Verizon FiOS: Gigabit connection

Chastity
Level 10
Glad to be of service. 🙂
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]