cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel i7 5930k CPU Frequency

pmanis1991
Level 7
Good Evening All,

I have an Intel X99 system (Rampage V Extreme / i7 5930K / Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 3333MHz C16).

I have recently updated my BIOS version as I bought new RAM modules for my system and wanted to ensure maximum compatibility (Corsair's RGB ones instead of Kingston Hyper X Predator that I used to have before).

The problem is that I now realised that my CPU clock speed is locked at 3.68Ghz (turbo boost one) at all times with optimised default settings. However, I remember that when I checked the frequency with the task manager, my CPU frequency was variable depending on the conditions (i.e. idling, etc.). I cannot find out why this is now constantly at 3.68 GHz and I actually regret for updating my BIOS as my PC was perfect before the update.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you!
9 REPLIES 9

meankeys
Level 13
Hi Pmanis1991 Welcome to the ROG forums

A few things or places to check

In Bios (Advanced F7) under Extreme Tweaker Menu check the following these setting will efect the speed stepping of the CPU

ASUS Multi core enhancement - AUTO
CPU core ratio - AUTO
Internal CPU Power Management - Speed step - Enabled - Tubo mode - Enabled
ADVANCED MENU - CPU Configuration - Hyper/Threading - Enabled

These are most of the setting that would control or restrict the speed of the cpu. Also make sure active processor cores is set to ALL
Let us know how you make out - Not sure what your using for voltage setting but you may want to try Adaptive till you get this sorted out as a low voltage setting may prevent you from booting to windows

meankeys wrote:
Hi Pmanis1991 Welcome to the ROG forums

A few things or places to check

In Bios (Advanced F7) under Extreme Tweaker Menu check the following these setting will efect the speed stepping of the CPU

ASUS Multi core enhancement - AUTO
CPU core ratio - AUTO
Internal CPU Power Management - Speed step - Enabled - Tubo mode - Enabled
ADVANCED MENU - CPU Configuration - Hyper/Threading - Enabled

These are most of the setting that would control or restrict the speed of the cpu. Also make sure active processor cores is set to ALL
Let us know how you make out - Not sure what your using for voltage setting but you may want to try Adaptive till you get this sorted out as a low voltage setting may prevent you from booting to windows

Thank you very much for your response.

The problem was at the Internal CPU Power Management section - the C-States were set as "Auto". I changed that to "Enabled" and is exactly as it used to be.

I did not overclock my processor at all. However, I set my ram speed to DDR4-2800MHz and specified different timings (14-16-16-36) but kept the same voltage (1.2V). Will that work with C-States enabled or may cause instability? (I tried DDR4-3000Mhz but the ram overclock failed - probably I need to overclock the processor as well to get past 2800MHz but I am happy with 2800 CL14).

I cannot find any option named as Active Processor Cores. Is this the one were the Sync All Cores option is available?

Many thanks

pmanis1991 wrote:
Thank you very much for your response.

I cannot find any option named as Active Processor Cores. Is this the one were the Sync All Cores option is available?

Please ignore this sentence, I just found it. They were all enabled. 🙂

meankeys
Level 13
Hi Pmanis1991
Great glade you got it going again. As far as your RAM goes I would select XMP this setting should automatically set your RAM to its rated speed and timings - What kit do you have? - and should also set the voltage for it as well.

meankeys wrote:
Hi Pmanis1991
Great glade you got it going again. As far as your RAM goes I would select XMP this setting should automatically set your RAM to its rated speed and timings - What kit do you have? - and should also set the voltage for it as well.

If I select XMP, my pc will not boot into windows (I get an error from windows saying that I need to repair my installation or reinstall windows). When I turned off XMP and selected optimised defaults, my PC booted into windows directly.

I have Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB (4x8GB) with maximum speed of 3333MHz at CL16.

This is the main reason for which I decided to overclock my RAM without selecting XMP. Is there a solution for this then?

Many thanks for your continuous support.

meankeys
Level 13
With out going into to much detail - Select XMP scroll down and set your RAM speed to 3200 MHz go in memory timings and make sure there set to the timings set for your ram also check that the voltage is right as well - then try to boot X99 has trouble booting anything over 3400 but you need a strong CPU - if it wont boot @ 3200 roll it back a bit more

Let me know how you make out

meankeys wrote:
With out going into to much detail - Select XMP scroll down and set your RAM speed to 3200 MHz go in memory timings and make sure there set to the timings set for your ram also check that the voltage is right as well - then try to boot X99 has trouble booting anything over 3400 but you need a strong CPU - if it wont boot @ 3200 roll it back a bit more

Let me know how you make out

Did exactly what you said and my PC booted into windows without issues (XMP and 3200MHz). I was then keen on trying the maximum setting for the RAM (3333MHz) and it worked! I do not know why I got this error before. I will use Realbench tomorrow and run a stability test for 15 minutes and see if everything works fine. My CPU core voltage is around 1.15V but I think it is safe up to 1.25-1.3V, right?

Thank you for your great help!

meankeys
Level 13
What type of cooling are you using? That's fine just watch your core temps

Glade I could help

meankeys wrote:
What type of cooling are you using? That's fine just watch your core temps

Glade I could help

I am using Corsair H100i GTX Hydro cooler. Max temp is about 55 degrees so everything seems to be fine :cool: