cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable control on pump headers on Strix X299-XE?

FaaR
Level 7
I just finished assembling my new PC, based on the above mentioned Strix X299-XE, and I have to say there aren't a whole lot of fan headers on this board. Also, the extra fan headers and temp probes card I'm sure was listed as included in the box on ASUS' website just days ago is now almost barely mentioned.

Of course, that add-on board isn't in the box either. So here I am, stuck with 5 case fans and only 3 fan headers to run them off of (and one is labelled as M.2 fan, not case fan)! I tried using the two pump headers, but the fans ran 100% duty cycle all the time and made a horrendous racket. Is there no way to reconfigure these headers as fans instead of pumps, or are they hardwired to go full tilt constantly and no PWM control or supply voltage adjustment? I'm rather bummed by this actually. I have just as many case fan headers on my old socket 1150 Haswell uATX mobo as on this full-sized, much higher-powered, Core i9 ATX board!

I could use fan splitters of course, and I will have to in the short term, but these don't allow individual RPM monitoring and control, which is something I like, so I really need to get hold on that add-on fan controller board. Where is this thing sold? My local PC dealers don't carry board-specific stuff like this...

Also, can one order an additional graphics card support plate from somewhere? I'm going dual barrels in this rig, so it would be nice to have two supports...

Also again, no trusted platform module connector, but a 1960s era RS-232 header? Wow, excellent priorities there! lol

Thanks for any help! 🙂
5 REPLIES 5

Moloch
Level 7
On my R6A I use the AI Suite Fan Xpert to control the speed. The default for the Pump headers is 100%, but it is adjustable, and I can hear it spin down as I lower it. I think it is also adjustable in the bios

Moloch wrote:
The default for the Pump headers is 100%, but it is adjustable, and I can hear it spin down as I lower it. I think it is also adjustable in the bios

It did not seem adjustable in my BIOS (UEFI or whatchamacallits these days), there was no speed settings for the pump headers (like silent, full and so on), and the duty cycle graph was permanently stuck at the top/100%. Then again, I don't know which version the board came with from factory... Updating is on my priority list now that I am awake again, and I also haven't installed windows yet on this rig so I can't test the Fan Xpert software route (yet.) 🙂

It would royally suck to have the headers adjustable in Windows environment only, having howling fans whenever I'm in UEFI would just make going through all those settings even more of a headache, so may I suggest to ASUS you add a setting to optionally switch the pump headers over to fan mode so they can be speed adjusted even from UEFI? The universe would thank you! 🙂

Chino
Level 15
Hello FaaR,

Are you in the correct section of the BIOS? I have the original STRIX X299-E GAMING motherboard and I can control both the Water pump and AIO pump headers in the BIOS.

Chino wrote:

Are you in the correct section of the BIOS? I have the original STRIX X299-E GAMING motherboard and I can control both the Water pump and AIO pump headers in the BIOS.

It would seem I was not! 😄 I hadn't even noticed these options when I went through the various pages.

There's so many settings and features in UEFI these days, it's easy to get overly whelmed! Thank you so much for this info, I will definitely check it out as soon as I've gotten the fan headers reconnected again.

Again, triple thanks for your awesome post. 😄