cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defective RMA replacements

vpca
Level 7
I purchased a DUAL-RX460-O2G in April 2017 to replace an older AMD video card, and did not have any problems until August 2017, when I started getting random screen artifacts (screen elements not refreshing, random coloured vertical lines), followed by freezing and/or rebooting (sometimes just freezing, sometimes freezing then rebooting, sometimes rebooting without any freezing). This happened while just browsing the web, not putting any load on the video card. I tried the latest drivers from AMD and the latest drivers from ASUS, with no difference in behaviour. Swapping the card out for my original video card I used before buying this one resulted in no screen artifacts, no freezing, and no rebooting.

This was accepted by ASUS for RMA and a replacement was sent out after I returned it. The replacement had a strong smell of burnt electronics when I removed it from the anti-static bag, but I ignored it thinking it's normal for refurbs. Shortly after installing the replacement in my PC, while browsing the web it started freezing up with the screen going black for a few seconds, and then some screen elements did not appear (for example the AMD Settings application was just a rectangle of Windows 7's shaded Aero glass, but the mouse pointer changed between the arrow and hand as normal, and clicking the middle of the rectangle opened up the AMD website as it normally does). Rebooting fixed the problem but it didn't take long for it to happen again. After a couple of days, the whole screen went completely white and the PC stopped responding completely, and I had to shut it down by holding in the power button. I tried the latest drivers from AMD and the latest drivers from ASUS, with no difference in behaviour. Swapping this video card out for my original video card resulted in no screen artifacts, no freezing, no rebooting.

This was accpeted by ASUS for RMA and a replacement was sent out after I returned it. In the support ticket I expressed my concern about receiving another defective video card, requesting a brand new one to avoid having to spend more time diagnosing defective units, but the response to that was "I assure you that our Repair Facility will replace you graphics card with a functioning one." Shortly after installing the replacement in my PC, while browsing the web it started freezing up with the screen going black for a few seconds. The next day, the whole screen went completely white and the PC stopped responding completely, and I had to shut it down by holding in the power button. I tried the latest drivers from AMD and the latest drivers from ASUS, with no difference in behaviour. Swapping this video card out for my original video card resulted in no screen artifacts, no freezing, no rebooting.

Now I'm on the 3rd defective ASUS video card, and I'm getting really frustrated. I have been using ASUS products for about 2 decades because of the quality of the products, but this experience has me doubting the quality of ASUS products and customer service.

Any tips on what I can do to get a functioning replacement from ASUS?
2 REPLIES 2

Bill
Level 7
Hello vpca
Can you please send me a PM with any of the following details that you do have available?

Product S/N:
Case ID#:
RMA#:

Also please pass me your contact details:
Full name:
Phone#:
Email:

I'll pass your case to related personnel and department for further investigation
Thank you

Bill
Level 7
Hello vpca
Thank you for your information
I've passed this information to our local personnel
Thank you