cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Loading Screen Freeze Threadripper 1950X Asus Zenith Extreme

Borjaloc
Level 7
Hi,

I've been suffering from system instability for 3 weeks now. When I first built my PC I was able to use it for a week and a half for workstation purposes but also for gaming without running into any problems. I did not overclock the CPU at all, the only thing I did was change the CPU from Work Mode to Game Mode using the AMD Ryzen Master App

After that I downloaded Unreal Engine 4 to work on it and the PC required a restart. Once I restarted the PC it froze at the loading screen for Windows (since my MoBo is an Asus Zenith Extreme it's the loading screen that displays the Republic of Gamers logo and the dot circle that moves.)

I attempted to restart mutiple times but couldn't log into windows so I uninstalled it and made a fresh install of windows. Even though this worked I kept running into the same problem, and I usually have to restart the PC multiple times until it decides not to freeze. Once I'm logged in the only solution is to keep my PC running and never turn it off.

I already updated all the drivers except for the UEFI one, I ran a MemTest 86 test and it came back negative (no errors). I honestly don't know what else to do. Also, sometimes I get code errors like B9 (Test NVRAM) and the GPU won't turn on, however this happens randomly since sometimes the GPU works fine.

Does anyone else have this same problem?

My build is the following:

MOTHERBOARD : Asus Zenith Extreme
CPU : AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
GPU : EVGA Geforce GTX 1080Ti FTW3
RAM : Corsair Dominator 16 x 2 DDR4 3000Mhz
AIO : NZXT Kraken X62
POWER SUPPLY : EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G2 80+ GOLD
NVME M.2 SSD : Samsung 960 Pro M.2 (500GB Bootup drive with Win 10 Installed)
SSD : Samsung 850 Pro (250 GB)
HDD :Western Digital Blue HDD (3TB)
7 REPLIES 7

Korth
Level 14
It seems like no hardware faults - the system worked fine for a week and no hardware or firmware changed. So it's likely a software/driver problem.

Try another fresh WinOS install, with legacy GPU drivers instead of updating to the latest-greatest drivers?

The intermittent GPU failure might be fixable by reflashing VBIOS. Can you test the GPU card in another computer for a while first?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

do you have the memory profile set to something - turn it all off if you do
when ever I try to overclock my ram or memory from default settings it freezes at the windows screen

Ljugtomten
Level 9
Borjaloc wrote:
I already updated all the drivers except for the UEFI one, I ran a MemTest 86 test and it came back negative (no errors). I honestly don't know what else to do. Also, sometimes I get code errors like B9 (Test NVRAM) and the GPU won't turn on, however this happens randomly since sometimes the GPU works fine.

Which UEFI version are you using?
Latest on the official download page is 0701, latest beta is 0801.

I am having this same issue. Did this ever get resolution? Same MB and CPU, if I have to reboot the pc freezes at the part I put in my password. I have to reboot at least 7 times before it allows me back in by chance. P{lease fix this, the latest drivers didn't fix this at all

I also have Unreal Engine 4 installed and have no problems

HAVE TESTED: bios 0801 & 0804

MY SYSTEM in My Profil:rolleyes:

OLD

NEW

Chubbycherub wrote:
I am having this same issue. Did this ever get resolution? Same MB and CPU, if I have to reboot the pc freezes at the part I put in my password. I have to reboot at least 7 times before it allows me back in by chance. P{lease fix this, the latest drivers didn't fix this at all

his one happened to me but with X99. There is a problem of Windows Install.

OLD

NEW

lightknightrr
Level 8
Borjaloc wrote:
Hi,

I've been suffering from system instability for 3 weeks now. When I first built my PC I was able to use it for a week and a half for workstation purposes but also for gaming without running into any problems. I did not overclock the CPU at all, the only thing I did was change the CPU from Work Mode to Game Mode using the AMD Ryzen Master App

After that I downloaded Unreal Engine 4 to work on it and the PC required a restart. Once I restarted the PC it froze at the loading screen for Windows (since my MoBo is an Asus Zenith Extreme it's the loading screen that displays the Republic of Gamers logo and the dot circle that moves.)

I attempted to restart mutiple times but couldn't log into windows so I uninstalled it and made a fresh install of windows. Even though this worked I kept running into the same problem, and I usually have to restart the PC multiple times until it decides not to freeze. Once I'm logged in the only solution is to keep my PC running and never turn it off.

Borjaloc, what are you using to cool your CPU / RAM?