cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ASUS Z370-E Build, Won't Post

Vissari
Level 7
Hey guys!

I know there's probably a bunch of these threads, but any help would be grateful.

I've got an ASUS Rog Strix Z370-E with an i5-8400, EVGA Supernova G3 650W 80gold and 1 stick of 8gb of DDR4-3000 memory.

I haven't listed the rest of the components because I've troubleshooted up to the point where I'm breadboxing, and I've been going down this checklist, and this is all I have plugged in at the moment. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

The weird thing is usually when I see 'won't post' is that the USB won't work. But I have plugged in a Corsair K95 and all of the lights lit up, so the USBs are getting power somehow.

Some other things I have tried that come to mind are all 3 of my mobo's output options, DP, DVI & HDMI, and removing a stick of ram to get my mobo to at least beep but no luck.

My thought has come down to two things, either that somehow, the bios hasn't been updated to support the CPU, or the more likely, my CPU or PSU is DOA.

Thanks again for your help guys, I appreciate it.
13 REPLIES 13

Vissari
Level 7
Bump

Menthol
Level 14
I am sure the CPU is compatible, I installed a 8400 in a Hero Wifi yesterday without issue
what heatsink are you using? I would suspect item 11 of the guide you posted, remove the heatsink and CPU to check socket pins with a magnifying glass, check heatsink mount is straight
Do you have the memory stick in the socket recommended in the manual?
clear cmos and use default bios settings?
Patience as it can take a day or 2 for reply's on the forums

Korth
Level 14
Is your memory on the QVL list for that motherboard?
What is the exact memory brand/part?

Can you test the PSU in another computer or with a PSU tester?
Inspect the 24-pin EATX12V and 8-pin EATX12V connectors, motherboard-side pins might be damaged from force, unsoldered PSU-side pins/crimps could be disconnected or "loose" inside their housings (at either end if they're modular cables). You can test cable/pin continuity with a DMM, you can backprobe with a DMM to test if pins are receiving power.

Onboard speaker/piezo is not included with most motherboards these days, sadly, stupidly, but plug-in parts can be purchased.
I can't tell if your motherboard comes with a speaker and if there are any beep codes then you can't hear them without a speaker.
(Unless, of course, you hear a brief beep during startup, in which case you obviously have a speaker, lol.)

Is the standby PWR_LED (green?) lit when system is plugged in?
Are any of the Q-LEDs - BOOT (green), VGA (white), DRAM (yellow), CPU (red) - ever lit during POST attempts or POST halts?
Are the POWER/RESET LEDs (or HDD LEDs) ever lit during boot, when pressed, when held?

The board will not boot with the CLRTC jumper in the wrong position (bridge pins 1-2 to clear CMOS/RTC RAM, otherwise leave unbridged).

Best to have the CPU_OV jumper disabled (bridge pins 1-2) when troubleshooting, only enable (bridge pins 2-3) when overclocking.

Is the motherboard CR2032 battery present, properly connected, and providing ≥3.0V?

Does the system boot (with errors) when keyboard/mouse are not connected?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

No worries! I appreciate any help at all. I'll answer both of y'alls right here.

I've tried two heatsinks, first a Hyper 212 EVO then the stock after I checked to make sure the CPU was in right. Also when I inspected the CPU i didn't see any bent pins.

I have a memory stick in the A2 slot, which is the manual's recommended, *but I've also tried all of the other slots as well with two sticks.
* I've cleared the cmos by both jumping the two plugs and removing the battery for 10 minutes.

The exact brand is Corsair Vengence DDR4-3000. CMK16GX4M2B3000C15, which I actually don't see any DDR4-3000 sticks on the QVL. While that is a potential problem, it doesn't even beep without RAM.

(Side note, the manual lists memory support from DDR4-4000 down to 2133, but the QVL only shows down to DDR4-3200? Why is that?)
** I have a PSU Tester coming in the mail in a few hours, so I'll be able to get back to you on that in a bit.

I bought one of those tiny motherboard speakers at a local store, I didn't get a beep. I figured if I took out all of my RAM the computer would've at least beeped in protest, but no luck.

The standby PWR_LED is actually orange, not green, maybe thats something? Manual doesn't say what color the light should be.
*The Q-LED's don't show up at all.
I'll also double check the CPU_OV jumper where it is in a bit, but I've left it in its default position.**

Oddly enough the CLRTC jumper area only has two pins instead of the usual 3 with a jumper, so I don't have a jumper on it at the moment.

CR2032 is the circular battery right? It's in there, and connected, I'm not sure how to check if its providing wattage however.

The system does not boot when keyboard/mouse are not connected.

Thanks so much you guys, appreciate the help.*

An update: I tested the PSU with a PSU tester and all of the readings were normal.[ATTACH=CONFIG]68079[/[ATTTACH]

do the fans spin when you turn the rig on

mandomagic wrote:
do the fans spin when you turn the rig on

Yes they do.

I just finished a build and accidentally used the pcie cables instead of the 8 pin cpu cable. Lights would go on but no fans. No post.

mandomagic wrote:
I just finished a build and accidentally used the pcie cables instead of the 8 pin cpu cable. Lights would go on but no fans. No post.

I thought about that, but the cables on my psu are labled for CPU, gpu etc, so I've only been using the CPU one.