Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

No keyboard or mouse during Windows 7 installation (B350-F)

I am building new PC and using Asus STRIX B350-F Gaming motherboard. It has only USB connection available for mouse, so I used USB mouse and keyboard. I went first to BIOS and I am able to use keyboard and mouse there. USB options are all enabled. However, when I start installing Windows 7, I get to the first screen to select language and neither keyboard nor mouse is detected.

I understand that relevant USB drivers are not on W7 installation that I use. I wouldn't want to purchase new Windows just because of that.

I searched for USB drivers on that particular motherboard support site on Asus, but there is none. There is Chipset drivers of 1.3 GB but I can not use them prior I install windows. So after reading various websites, I understand that the only way out is to find relevant drivers and insert them into installation ISO file. I have tested one driver, used NLite to inject drivers to ISO, but ended up with same problem, no mouse or keyboard under installation. The whole process took quite some time, so I would like to avoid running through multiple attempts to find the right set up. This is why I am here.

Do you have any advice? Or link to correct driver for this particular motherboard? Or am I missing something else?

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array haihane PC Specs
    haihane PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair V Formula Z
    ProcessorAMD FX 8350
    Memory (part number)Gskill F3-2400C10-8GTX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS HD 6950
    Storage #1WD Velociraptor 1TB
    Storage #2Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 120XL
    CaseCooler Master Silencio 650
    Power SupplyCorsair HX850
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
    Mouse Logitech G500
    OS Windows 7 X64
    Network RouterLinksys E2500

do you have any other usb keyboards you can use?
    try different ports too maybe?
    no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

ROG Member Array

I have tried all ports. BIOS updated to latest version. Both, mouse and keyboard are available if I go into BIOS (and I need to click F2 to get into bios), so computer finds hardware. But when I start installing windows, it is not available anymore...

haihane PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD FX 8350
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
    Mouse Logitech G500
    OS Windows 7 X64

yeah, i know :/

here's what i think:
    you said it only has connection for mouse <here i was thinking: can't be, there's more than enough USB ports on your motherboard for both mouse and keyboard>, then i assumed you meant: one usb port for mouse, one usb port for keyboard (you're not using some sort of unifying dongle that connects both mouse and keyboard to a single dongle right?).

then you went and tried windows install, and both mouse and keyboard inputs were non-existent (missing). this made me think: i've only seen this instance once, when a Corsair K70 keyboard's firmware wasn't up to date and forcing repeated keystroke inputs.

look at picture below:

the switch controls compatibility and response rate. i had this problem on the reverse (windows install was fine, but to use the keyboard on bios, the switch must first be switched to BIOS mode before it'd work, and you've got to do it before bios starts detecting hardware). my workaround at the time was simply getting another generic USB keyboard i had lying around to get into bios and finish up windows install. subsequent Corsair K70 firmware updates fixed this for good.

i'm suggesting the same because it's the easiest fix (if the problem did come from your keyboard).

alternatively, maybe perhaps: disable fast boot on bios and force full hardware detection during every restart.
    USB keyboards (in general) should work universally, their protocol is standardized, and one shouldn't really need to install additional drivers for windows install to work as it should, hmm. :/

ROG Member Array

I said "It has only USB connection for mouse" meaning there is no PS2 connection. But yes, there are several USB ports and I tried them all. I did not use unify dongle, used usb cable mouse and usb cable keyboard connected to separate usb ports.

I will check if there is any switch on keyboard, not at home right now. However mouse definitely has no switches and is not detected either. I have read that W10 has USB drivers, while W7 might not have it for modern motherboards. This is why I try to find them and insert to W7 installation ISO file

haihane PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD FX 8350
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
    Mouse Logitech G500
    OS Windows 7 X64

Interesting.

I've long stopped playing with nlite and my memory about that is fuzzy at best. Sorry can't help you on this one. It'll take me quite a while to get up to shape with that program again.

Tell mah how it goes, I might learn something or two from your endeavor too.
    Hey, do me a favor and disable fast boot and also enable full system initialization on bios. See if that helps anything.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

Quote Originally Posted by ajocius@gmail.com View Post
    I went first to BIOS and I am able to use keyboard and mouse there. USB options are all enabled. However, when I start installing Windows 7, I get to the first screen to select language and neither keyboard nor mouse is detected.
    There should be a "Legacy USB" setting somewhere in BIOS. Try booting with this setting enabled/disabled to see if it helps.
    I understand that relevant USB drivers are not on W7 installation that I use. I wouldn't want to purchase new Windows just because of that.
    Some possible solutions ... at least ideas to try out or consider ...

- Connect the keyboard/mouse to a USB hub to the computer, the older and cheaper the better, because if the hub only supports early USB2 or USB1.x protocols then all downstream USB devices connected through it will enumerate with older USB2 or USB1.x protocols that Win7 natively supports.
    - Alternately, if a USB keyboard works but USB mouse does not then you might be able to connect the mouse through a USB hub built into the keyboard.
    - If your Win7 isn't SP1 then you can upgrade it to SP1 at no cost (using the same Windows Product Key), I can't recall but I think it had better USB support.
    - You can try reinstalling a clean copy of Win7 from a bootable USB flash drive, when I did this with a Win8 installation it automagically fixed similar USB issues in some way I never quite bothered to understand but which still worked perfectly.
    - You can try installing an Intel USB driver (like this one) intended for other Win7 platforms, sometimes they won't install or won't work, sometimes they will.
    - You can try fixing Win7 USB drivers. Apparently the perfect solution for many users.
    - You can buy a Win10 Product Key. Microsoft charges CAD$148+, other vendors charge much less ("only" $20~$50), and there's often promo codes or coupons. A sucky option, but at least it will future-proof better against future USB (or other hardware) problems and probably cost less than you paid for the keyboard and mouse. I hate giving Microsoft money, I already bought stupid Windows at least two dozen times over the years.
    - You can install a linux! Mint is a popular and powerful choice for linux novices and Windows refugees. There's also SteamOS, Androids, etc, though I don't know much about running them on desktops. It might do everything you wanted Windows to do except run DirectX (although Mantle and Vulkan are pretty good*). These non-Windows operating systems are well-supported, always FREE, and can run off "Live USB" or "Live CD/DVD" installs so there's not even any need to do a fixed OS installation if you're apprehensive about "wrecking" your Win7. Nothing to lose by trying one out.

* Vulkan is proving very compelling (one example) and even superior in some ways over Microsoft DirectX 12. The caveat is that *very few* games are optimized for Vulkan, it's supported by SteamOS and UE4 and it's steadily gaining traction, it will be supported by many (if not all) upcoming titles ... but in the meantime it is poorly supported and games with no Vulkan and no DX12 must run sucky OGL, lol.
    Last edited by Korth; 10-12-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array MikeAdu PC Specs
    MikeAdu PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1/3701 BIOS
    ProcessorIntel i7 5960X @strap 100/4,0/3.5 1,15V both/1.92V input
    Memory (part number)CMD32GX4M4B3333C16 (two sets,64Gb,8 slots)
    Graphics Card #1Asus GTX 1080 Ti Turbo
    Graphics Card #3Asus GTX 1080 Ti Turbo
    Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster ZxR
    MonitorSamsung T260HD
    CPU CoolerEK Supremacy EVO waterblock,1x360mm + 2x240mm + 2x120mm radiators
    CaseCorsair T760 White
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Logitech G19S
    Mouse Logitech G700S
    Headset Logitech G35
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System
    OS Windows 10 64bit/Windows 8.1 64bit/Windows 7 64bit

Hi.Sometimes I had the same issue.Try to disconnect mouse and keyboard for 10 seconds and then plug them back.Maybe it will help.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Can you please post what keyboard and mouse you are using?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array MikeAdu PC Specs
    MikeAdu PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1/3701 BIOS
    ProcessorIntel i7 5960X @strap 100/4,0/3.5 1,15V both/1.92V input
    Memory (part number)CMD32GX4M4B3333C16 (two sets,64Gb,8 slots)
    Graphics Card #1Asus GTX 1080 Ti Turbo
    Graphics Card #3Asus GTX 1080 Ti Turbo
    Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster ZxR
    MonitorSamsung T260HD
    CPU CoolerEK Supremacy EVO waterblock,1x360mm + 2x240mm + 2x120mm radiators
    CaseCorsair T760 White
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Logitech G19S
    Mouse Logitech G700S
    Headset Logitech G35
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System
    OS Windows 10 64bit/Windows 8.1 64bit/Windows 7 64bit