cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOLVED - Help Support: Asus Zephyrus GX501 - Linux G-Sync issue

waltercool
Level 7
Hi guys,

I been discussing with Nvidia dev team weeks ago about a problem with G-Sync on this laptop using Linux, I can't reproduce this issue on Windows, but on Ubuntu and Gentoo is quite easy to reproduce. It looks like when G-Sync is enabled, the screen starts to flicker as insane as you can see on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxi9GbeCD08

Under Nvidia analysis, they believe the problem might be related on SBIOS so might require a cooperation between Asus and Nvidia to solve it.

Sadly, I contacted ASUS support, and they aren't likely to help with this

I do understand your query and I do regret to inform you that we are unable to assist you with any modifications of the unit. ASUS does not support any modifications whether it be hardware or software.

Also, on live chat, the IT guy also told me ASUS might not help me with this issue.

So, my furious and frustrating issue here is, I bought an Nvidia certified laptop, and you should gave me support about that. This is not an OS problem, and any buggy BIOS issue should be addressed ( like the audio issue https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94651-ROG-Zephyrus-GX501-feedback&p=674564&viewfull=1#post... ).

I need some support from ASUS here, or I might need to ask some refund "directly" from ASUS or escalate this issue under legal terms. I have Nvidia technical guys waiting for some internal ticket to discuss and analyze if this is a hardware (ASUS), BIOS (ASUS) or driver (Nvidia) issue.

My current ASUS Service number is N170917397
5 REPLIES 5

waltercool
Level 7
My current ASUS Service number is N170917397

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Because we provide the system for the windows system, rather than linux system. We can not guarantee the compatibility of the hardware on the linux system. Sorry for the trouble.

I agree, I'm not asking support for Linux (but I would suggest it), but to properly analyze with Nvidia if there is some BIOS conflict with a certified module of them.

About this topic, the OS should not be relevant for ASUS, the software compatibility to OS is managed by Nvidia, but if they detect a possible BIOS or hardware problem against their certified technology (G-sync for ex.) , ASUS should work with them to find the issue, otherwise, quality is part of certification. I assume they will not ask ASUS to test or install Linux, but to provide information about technical specs, so they can properly find the root of the problem.

There is some way Nvidia can contact ASUS, so they can ask technical information easily? Or this is just... we made the product, survive by your own?

Many thanks.

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
waltercool wrote:
I agree, I'm not asking support for Linux (but I would suggest it), but to properly analyze with Nvidia if there is some BIOS conflict with a certified module of them.

About this topic, the OS should not be relevant for ASUS, the software compatibility to OS is managed by Nvidia, but if they detect a possible BIOS or hardware problem against their certified technology (G-sync for ex.) , ASUS should work with them to find the issue, otherwise, quality is part of certification. I assume they will not ask ASUS to test or install Linux, but to provide information about technical specs, so they can properly find the root of the problem.

There is some way Nvidia can contact ASUS, so they can ask technical information easily? Or this is just... we made the product, survive by your own?

Many thanks.

Understand. I will report to our technical support department again. Thanks for your feedback.

Please close this. Seems like Nvidia done something at driver side to manage this, and I'm not able to reproduce this anymore.

Thank you.