Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress Test Application - without AVX

Dtfkev
Level 7
Edit:

I'll just try to start from scratch.

What is a good stress test application without AVX? I'm trying to establish a baseline overclock.
8 REPLIES 8

Yoda1
Level 7
I would perhaps have a look at your memory voltages, SA and VCCIO.

It's can be an absolute pain to get the SA and VCCIO voltages right. Too low or too high voltages on these two things can make things unstable.

I hope that helps.
Your ass is grass, smoke it I will!

Yoda wrote:
I would perhaps have a look at your memory voltages, SA and VCCIO.

It's can be an absolute pain to get the SA and VCCIO voltages right. Too low or too high voltages on these two things can make things unstable.

I hope that helps.

Gotcha. I haven't even made it that far into the guide yet. Still trying to find a stable core / voltage OC.

I'm not sure how I would go about stressing to test SA / VCCIO being how I can't make it 30 seconds into real bench with stock clock & voltages on CPU lol

Yoda1
Level 7
So even resetting it back to stock clocks isn't working, is that with XMP on?

You might have to go back to BIOS defaults and retest. No point in overclocking if the base settings aren't stable with XMP off.

If I'm not mistaken Real Benchs first test is based on CPU clocks and memory frequency. Which would explain why its crashing if your memory isn't set correctly.

I would deffo read the whole guide.

I would pay close attention to the VCCIO and SA voltages as mentioned earlier but also the LLC settings.

Did your Gskill memory come in a box? My Gskill box had the memory voltage written on it at least.

Yoda wrote:
So even resetting it back to stock clocks isn't working, is that with XMP on?

You might have to go back to BIOS defaults and retest. No point in overclocking if the base settings aren't stable with XMP off.

If I'm not mistaken Real Benchs first test is based on CPU clocks and memory frequency. Which would explain why its crashing if your memory isn't set correctly.

I would deffo read the whole guide.

I would pay close attention to the VCCIO and SA voltages as mentioned earlier but also the LLC settings.

Did your Gskill memory come in a box? My Gskill box had the memory voltage written on it at least.

With all bios settings to default / auto. I can run real bench just fine.

When I change the following I was able to run real bench for 1 hour without issues.
AI overlock tuner Manual
Sync all cores
50 Core
LLC @ .01
Manual voltage at 1.35

However, if I change manual voltage to adaptive 1.35 I can't get real bench to run longer than 30 seconds with anything higher then a 45 core clock.

The Gskill memory was brand new when purchased. I have timing and voltages if I needed to input them manually.

Yoda1
Level 7
Auto voltages can be set too high. For example my Gskill memory is rated to run on 1.35V but when I turned on XMP the system decided to set it too 1.5v which is bonkers high.

I set this manually back to 1.35V no problems but I would deffo find out what model of GSkill 3200 DDR4 you have and find the rating for yours (Maybe its on the GSkill website).

Dtfkev
Level 7
Does realbench use AVX? Maybe I need to just apply an offset to start?

Yoda1
Level 7
1.35v on the CPU should be more than enough for even 48 core clock I believe on most 7700K samples.

Have you got any type of monitoring software that shows you what your CPU core volts actually are while under load?

You might want to have a look into something like HWinfo64 or something that records things like CPU Volts, VCCIO, SA and a mass of other readings with Minimum, Max and current readings. Obviously check their terms and conditions first to ensure you are ok with downloading and installing their software.

Maybe report back here once you know what those values are showing. I think the labels are "Vcore", " "VCCSA" and "CPU VCCIO/IMC" under the HWInfo.

On my Apex mobo I have mode 5 set for LLC which minimises the VDroop under CPU load.

It's getting late here m8, so i will check back tomorrow. Good luck Marine!

Edit
Try a negative offset on AVX if you like but at 45 clock that shouldn't be needed. Maybe pop in 3 which will drop your core by 3 example 48 clock will drop to 45 when AVX is being used.

Dtfkev
Level 7
I think I'm just going to start over.

What's a good stress test application that doesn't use AVX?