Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

It was the RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Thireus View Post
    Reflash BIOS, leave everything on stock settings, check if the board is stable, if not stable, check if your PCI-E and other devices are not causing the issue (i.e. remove your graphics card and plug another one).

Had same issue, the freezes were caused by a "bad" PCI-E Ethernet card (which btw appeared to be working just fine...), I learned from it, https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...en-overclocked.
    It turned out to be the RAM. I have never run into a system that is so finicky with memory, but I found that DRAM that is "lower" quality just won't work. The kit, being at C16 at 2400Mhz just was not good enough. I bought another set, this time C16 at 3200 and 1.35V did the trick. I also ensured that the new kit is specifically listed in the QVL and got a quad channel kit (instead of two dual channel - which I have never had issues with until now). The memory I ran before I assumed would work because the QVL listed the same kit, except with C15, instead of the C16 I had - I was wrong.

I changed nothing except putting in the new ram, resetting the BIOS, applied XMP without Sync All Cores and was able to stress test for over 3 hours in AIDA64 before I turned it off. There is no skimping on the memory on this setup.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array FireRx PC Specs
    FireRx PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel 7900 X
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMD32GX4MA2800c16
    Graphics Card #1EGVA RTX 2080ti
    Sound Cardonboard
    MonitorLG 34" curved
    Storage #1Samsung 960 M2 SSD 1 terabyte
    Storage #2Samsumg 850 PRO SSD 1Tb
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i
    CaseLian Li VS2000
    Power SupplyThermaltake 1200 modular
    Keyboard Logitech K800
    Mouse Logitech
    Headset Powerbeat2 wireless
    Mouse Pad Xtrac Ripper XL
    Headset/Speakers logitech
    OS Windows 10 Pro 17692
    Network RouterNetGear
    Accessory #1 Logitech G940 FLight gear

I can tell you what I'm observing is folks not buying a Match Single Memory kit. That is most of the problem there. Buy a single 32gb Memory kit. those DIMMS are matched for peformance perfectly. If you purchase two 16bgs kit to for a total 32 gb. No matter what the package says, those Dimm kits often have issues working together. This has been a practice since the x99 days.
    Intel Core i9 7900X @4.7ghz @1.219v
    Asus Rampage VI Extreme [bios 1902]
    LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
    Nvidia RTX 2080ti
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by FireRx View Post
    I can tell you what I'm observing is folks not buying a Match Single Memory kit. That is most of the problem there. Buy a single 32gb Memory kit. those DIMMS are matched for peformance perfectly. If you purchase two 16bgs kit to for a total 32 gb. No matter what the package says, those Dimm kits often have issues working together. This has been a practice since the x99 days.
    This is the first time I have ever seen any issues with two sets of matched DIMMs from the same company and same sku, personally. *Just FYI, I ran each of the first two in dual and quad channel and still had the hard freezing issue. Two sets or one didnt make the difference. Being exactly on the QVL (in particular the latency) was the difference maker, as you can see the QVL excludes the higher latency sticks in the same speed from the same manufacturer, thereby requiring the highest grade memory kits = extra $$$. Just something to keep in mind now that DRAM prices are through the roof. 1 or 2 CL can make a 32GB kit a couple hundred more. *This also seems to be something specific with this board as other have stated they put all the same components in another board (ie Apex) without issue. I winder what it is about the R6E? *Eitherway I love the board, just a little dissappointed that memory is so finicky. Out goes the value in getting a lower spec ram kit and overclocking it.*

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array FireRx PC Specs
    FireRx PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel 7900 X
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMD32GX4MA2800c16
    Graphics Card #1EGVA RTX 2080ti
    Sound Cardonboard
    MonitorLG 34" curved
    Storage #1Samsung 960 M2 SSD 1 terabyte
    Storage #2Samsumg 850 PRO SSD 1Tb
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i
    CaseLian Li VS2000
    Power SupplyThermaltake 1200 modular
    Keyboard Logitech K800
    Mouse Logitech
    Headset Powerbeat2 wireless
    Mouse Pad Xtrac Ripper XL
    Headset/Speakers logitech
    OS Windows 10 Pro 17692
    Network RouterNetGear
    Accessory #1 Logitech G940 FLight gear

Try a 32gb match kit and see if you get the same results. Now I have to admit, I do not overclock the memory beyond it's specs that I puchased. Also are you running T-1 or T2 on your timings. some little stability testing you can run.
    Last edited by FireRx; 01-24-2018 at 12:26 PM.
    Intel Core i9 7900X @4.7ghz @1.219v
    Asus Rampage VI Extreme [bios 1902]
    LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
    Nvidia RTX 2080ti
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by FireRx View Post
    Try a 32gb match kit and see if you get the same results. Now I have to admit, I do not overclock the memory beyond it's specs that I puchased. Also are you running T-1 or T2 on your timings. some little stability testing you can run.

I did purchase a quad channel 32GB set and it is running fine, but I also made sure that it is specifically listed on the QVL. BUT, as you stated running two 16gb kits could cause issue, I had already ran on a single kit in dual channel mode and still resulted in hard freezing issue. The difference then, is the "quality" of the RAM (XMP with a lower latency) and being on the QVL.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Haans249 View Post
    It turned out to be the RAM. I have never run into a system that is so finicky with memory, but I found that DRAM that is "lower" quality just won't work. The kit, being at C16 at 2400Mhz just was not good enough. I bought another set, this time C16 at 3200 and 1.35V did the trick. I also ensured that the new kit is specifically listed in the QVL and got a quad channel kit (instead of two dual channel - which I have never had issues with until now). The memory I ran before I assumed would work because the QVL listed the same kit, except with C15, instead of the C16 I had - I was wrong.

I changed nothing except putting in the new ram, resetting the BIOS, applied XMP without Sync All Cores and was able to stress test for over 3 hours in AIDA64 before I turned it off. There is no skimping on the memory on this setup.
    I want to confirm that Haans is right, the problem is the ram. I returned my MOBO and RAMS thinking these were faulty. The fix was buying the ram described in the QVL, Quad Channel, C16. Enable XMP in BIOS and problem solved.

My config is this:

Asus ROG Rampage VI
    Intel I9 7940x
    Corsair Vengeance RGB 16x4 3200 MHZ CMR64GX4M4C3200C16
    3x EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 TI
    PSU EVGA 1600 G2
    Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB

I hope this helps!

Thanks!

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by cargograph View Post
    I want to confirm that Haans is right, the problem is the ram. I returned my MOBO and RAMS thinking these were faulty. The fix was buying the ram described in the QVL, Quad Channel, C16. Enable XMP in BIOS and problem solved.

My config is this:

Asus ROG Rampage VI
    Intel I9 7940x
    Corsair Vengeance RGB 16x4 3200 MHZ CMR64GX4M4C3200C16
    3x EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 TI
    PSU EVGA 1600 G2
    Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB

I hope this helps!

Thanks!
    Well,

Its time to RMA this board. I got another memory kit, the one I actually want to use, it is on the QVL, quad channel, 3600 C16 and it won’t even boot with XMP and hardlocks without. *I ha e updated to the most recent bios, tried every stick one at a time, no luck.*

I have never had such an issue with a build, ever. I really hope this next board works properly or I’m moving on. You can’t expect to charge $650 for a motherboard that does not work.*

BTW the only kit that has worked for me is the Corsair quad channel on this particular board. *The Trident Z RGB i just got does not.

ROG Member Array

Just to give everyone an update on the status of my issues:

I have RMA'd the board, it is shipping back to where I purchased for a replacement.

I can confidently state that it is the Motherboard with the issue. I went ahead and bought a different brand board, Gigabyte X299 Aurous Ultimate Gaming. Plugged in ALL the same components, same RAM, same everything. It booted right up, ran XMP and ran without a single issue. I clean installed Windows 10, updated drivers and I've been stress testing for several hours and still running solid not one single hardlock or freezing issue.

I sincerely hope that the replacement R6E runs solid because I LOVE this board and is really the only board I use for my personal builds. Here's to hoping!

ROG Enthusiast Array Aysberg PC Specs
    Aysberg PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-7980XE
    Memory (part number)4 x F4-3200C14-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti GAMING OC
    Sound CardCreative SB Zx
    Monitor1x LG 34GK950G / 2 x HP DreamColor Z27x
    Storage #12 x Samsung NVMe 970 EVO 2TB / Samsung NVMe 3 x 960 EVO 1TB
    Storage #24 x SanDisk SDSSDHII960G
    CPU Coolercuplex kryos NEXT
    CaseLianLi PC-A75X
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1200i
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
    Mouse Roccat KONE XTD Optical
    Headset AKG K712 + ModMic 5
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 1809
    Network RouterMikroTik CRS317-1G-16S+RM
    Accessory #1 Mellanox ConnectX-3
    Accessory #2 Asus Hyper M.2 X16 Card

After lots of testing, I think the Rampage VI Extreme is an "extreme" picky board. Even on defaults it's not 100% stable in my case. Running RAM from QVL and on default speeds. Tested the components (excluding CPU) on my RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 and every runs smooth as silk. Even XMP and moderate overclocks with the same hardware are no problem.
    If I get my system "stable" I can be sure, the next day it wont boot, need a CMOS reset and several reboots, to get at least in BIOS again.

Strangely my 1080 Ti made this all even worth, but it's an ASUS Strix, so if even ASUS in not able to run their own HW I don't know. I exchanged the GPU twice and RMAd the RAM to G.Skill and got a new kit. Still the system is unstable, thanks to ASUS I made a lot of trouble for other companies exchanging HW, which afterwards seemed 100% OK , when the culprit seems to be the mainboard.

Or their is a wide variation in build quality, some got good boards and some bad. Have no money to buy a replacement, just for testing And why should I buy another Rampage, after experiencing such stuff. Seeing the BIOS release circle compared to other manufacturers I even get the impression ASUS does not care for the x299 faction at all.

Maybe I would try the WS X299 SAGE, in the hope that a WS board runs more stable.

ROG Member Array

RMA worked

Hello All,

I'm very delighted and happy to report that the RMA has worked. I sent in the original board and it was replaced with what appears to be a very recent build R6E. The original board i received had BIOS version 0802 installed and the new one I just got up and running yesterday, came with 1004 installed - I have not changed the BIOS. I put all the same components as before and everything is running rock solid with zero issues. No hardlocks, no failure to boot or memory detection errors. Ran fine on stock settings and is running great on XMP.

One thing that I noticed being different between the two boards was how "smooth" installation of the ram sticks felt. I will describe it as best as I can, but I noticed on the original board that when installing the ram it would a noise like a "crunchiness" as if there was fine particles of sand. I'm not saying there was any sand or any object in the slots it was just in general how it felt and sounded. I did take notice and like I said there was nothing in there, just sounded a little different than usual. Compared to this new board installing the DIMMS was very very smooth, no scratchiness/crunchiness on install and required less effort to seat the DIMMS than the prior board. Just something I thought I noticed, but again I may have been extra sensitive to anything ram related given the issues with the first board.

Anyway, I'm really glad I have my system up and running and hope everyone else continues to have success with this beautiful board.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast