New ROGer Array

Cool ROG G20CB with full powered gtx1080ti

Provious:
    I've tested 1080ti on my G20CB which has H170 (mother board). When I just unplug the 230w power supply, the gpu fan did span a little and then shutdown, seems it does not have enough power to boot up, that might be the fact to prove the mother board share some power with GPU. But also I used furmark and 3d mark to run my card with 100% power limit, nothing goes wrong, and GTV5 works without under power issue, but not with H1Z1, and PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS. It suddenly shutdown when I start to go around to find things in h1z1. It will be fine if setting the power limit to 90%, cuz I added extra ssd which might require additional wattage, usually 90-92% is fine. It's just so strange that it passed the fire strike ultra in 100% power limit , and after testing, i checked the data, the GPU load is 99% most of the time, and 3 peaks at 100% load. by the way all the fgames running under 1080p is more satable than under 4k.

Now:
    Last time. my card has issues on running some "thirsty" games under 4k, I set the TDP limit for the card to 90% to solve the issue. But then I kind of get a estimation of the wattage of the whole computer, it's definately under 410w. Thus I did some experiment on the power jumper, Fotunitely, The 1080ti can run with full power on CB. The flowing image shown how I move the jumper. I guess, by doing so , the motherboard and graphic card are sharing the whole 410w. The PC can be boot up by plug one of the power supply in either hole! wow

I've tested my computer for about 1 month, no crash on any game under 4k , no any under power issue when running Mark3d 4k tests, and furmark. I think I've done with my G20CB, at least for now. Put the computer case back on, and enjoy it ! next step for me is the cooling system. You guys can try it as well, but im not responsible for this. By the way the DELL thing is not as good as the factory power supply.
    The image of jumpers are below
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171013_142142.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	68073
    Last edited by evantangcd; 10-13-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: add-on

ROG Enthusiast Array spartan_hoplite PC Specs
    spartan_hoplite PC Specs
    MotherboardModded ROG G20Ci
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 9900k
    Memory (part number)32gb DDR4
    Graphics Card #1ASUS RTX 2080 Turbo
    MonitorROG PG27vQ
    Storage #1Samsung NvMe 960 500gb + 4 Tb Samsung SSD
    Storage #2Seagate 8 tb Hard Disk Drive
    CaseROG G20
    Keyboard ASUS ROG Claymore
    Mouse ASUS ROG Pugio
    OS Windows 10 Pro

So now you can run H1Z1, and PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS with 100% power limit? Congratz man.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by spartan_hoplite View Post
    So now you can run H1Z1, and PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS with 100% power limit? Congratz man.
    yeah! thanks man

New ROGer Array

Thanks for the post. I was wondering about this myself.

Would you say the fps/performance difference between the 1080 and the 1080Ti @ 90% TDP is significant enough for the swap?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by evantangcd View Post
    Provious:
    I've tested 1080ti on my G20CB which has H170 (mother board). When I just unplug the 230w power supply, the gpu fan did span a little and then shutdown, seems it does not have enough power to boot up, that might be the fact to prove the mother board share some power with GPU. But also I used furmark and 3d mark to run my card with 100% power limit, nothing goes wrong, and GTV5 works without under power issue, but not with H1Z1, and PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS. It suddenly shutdown when I start to go around to find things in h1z1. It will be fine if setting the power limit to 90%, cuz I added extra ssd which might require additional wattage, usually 90-92% is fine. It's just so strange that it passed the fire strike ultra in 100% power limit , and after testing, i checked the data, the GPU load is 99% most of the time, and 3 peaks at 100% load. by the way all the fgames running under 1080p is more satable than under 4k.

Now:
    Last time. my card has issues on running some "thirsty" games under 4k, I set the TDP limit for the card to 90% to solve the issue. But then I kind of get a estimation of the wattage of the whole computer, it's definately under 410w. Thus I did some experiment on the power jumper, Fotunitely, The 1080ti can run with full power on CB. The flowing image shown how I move the jumper. I guess, by doing so , the motherboard and graphic card are sharing the whole 410w. The PC can be boot up by plug one of the power supply in either hole! wow

I've tested my computer for about 1 month, no crash on any game under 4k , no any under power issue when running Mark3d 4k tests, and furmark. I think I've done with my G20CB, at least for now. Put the computer case back on, and enjoy it ! next step for me is the cooling system. You guys can try it as well, but im not responsible for this. By the way the DELL thing is not as good as the factory power supply.
    The image of jumpers are below
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171013_142142.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	68073
    Im sorry, i must be blind i dont see what jumper you change to get all 410watts to the gpu. Can you circle it on the picture? Thank you
    Asus Rog G20cb-b21

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

There are 5 jumpers on the left of the photo. 3 down, 2 up. However you should be very careful about moving around jumpers without knowing what they do. If you are removing a current limit you could damage something.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Member Array

Wanted to thank the OP for this post. I'm currently running a G20CB-B21 with a reference 1080TI at full speed, stock power bricks.

It may not be the latest and greatest... but with a Samsung 970 256GB M.2 and an addition SSD.. it still flies!