cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G20CB with full powered gtx1080ti

evantangcd
Level 7
Provious:
I've tested 1080ti on my G20CB which has H170 (mother board). When I just unplug the 230w power supply, the gpu fan did span a little and then shutdown, seems it does not have enough power to boot up, that might be the fact to prove the mother board share some power with GPU. But also I used furmark and 3d mark to run my card with 100% power limit, nothing goes wrong, and GTV5 works without under power issue, but not with H1Z1, and PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS. It suddenly shutdown when I start to go around to find things in h1z1. It will be fine if setting the power limit to 90%, cuz I added extra ssd which might require additional wattage, usually 90-92% is fine. It's just so strange that it passed the fire strike ultra in 100% power limit , and after testing, i checked the data, the GPU load is 99% most of the time, and 3 peaks at 100% load. by the way all the fgames running under 1080p is more satable than under 4k.

Now:
Last time. my card has issues on running some "thirsty" games under 4k, I set the TDP limit for the card to 90% to solve the issue. But then I kind of get a estimation of the wattage of the whole computer, it's definately under 410w. Thus I did some experiment on the power jumper, Fotunitely, The 1080ti can run with full power on CB. The flowing image shown how I move the jumper. I guess, by doing so , the motherboard and graphic card are sharing the whole 410w. The PC can be boot up by plug one of the power supply in either hole! wow

I've tested my computer for about 1 month, no crash on any game under 4k , no any under power issue when running Mark3d 4k tests, and furmark. I think I've done with my G20CB, at least for now. Put the computer case back on, and enjoy it ! next step for me is the cooling system. You guys can try it as well, but im not responsible for this. By the way the DELL thing is not as good as the factory power supply.
The image of jumpers are below
6 REPLIES 6

spartan_hoplite
Level 10
So now you can run H1Z1, and PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS with 100% power limit? Congratz man.

spartan_hoplite wrote:
So now you can run H1Z1, and PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS with 100% power limit? Congratz man.

yeah! thanks man

Thanks for the post. I was wondering about this myself.

Would you say the fps/performance difference between the 1080 and the 1080Ti @ 90% TDP is significant enough for the swap?

tplante03
Level 7
evantangcd wrote:
Provious:
I've tested 1080ti on my G20CB which has H170 (mother board). When I just unplug the 230w power supply, the gpu fan did span a little and then shutdown, seems it does not have enough power to boot up, that might be the fact to prove the mother board share some power with GPU. But also I used furmark and 3d mark to run my card with 100% power limit, nothing goes wrong, and GTV5 works without under power issue, but not with H1Z1, and PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS. It suddenly shutdown when I start to go around to find things in h1z1. It will be fine if setting the power limit to 90%, cuz I added extra ssd which might require additional wattage, usually 90-92% is fine. It's just so strange that it passed the fire strike ultra in 100% power limit , and after testing, i checked the data, the GPU load is 99% most of the time, and 3 peaks at 100% load. by the way all the fgames running under 1080p is more satable than under 4k.

Now:
Last time. my card has issues on running some "thirsty" games under 4k, I set the TDP limit for the card to 90% to solve the issue. But then I kind of get a estimation of the wattage of the whole computer, it's definately under 410w. Thus I did some experiment on the power jumper, Fotunitely, The 1080ti can run with full power on CB. The flowing image shown how I move the jumper. I guess, by doing so , the motherboard and graphic card are sharing the whole 410w. The PC can be boot up by plug one of the power supply in either hole! wow

I've tested my computer for about 1 month, no crash on any game under 4k , no any under power issue when running Mark3d 4k tests, and furmark. I think I've done with my G20CB, at least for now. Put the computer case back on, and enjoy it ! next step for me is the cooling system. You guys can try it as well, but im not responsible for this. By the way the DELL thing is not as good as the factory power supply.
The image of jumpers are below

Im sorry, i must be blind i dont see what jumper you change to get all 410watts to the gpu. Can you circle it on the picture? Thank you
Asus Rog G20cb-b21

xeromist
There are 5 jumpers on the left of the photo. 3 down, 2 up. However you should be very careful about moving around jumpers without knowing what they do. If you are removing a current limit you could damage something.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Wanted to thank the OP for this post. I'm currently running a G20CB-B21 with a reference 1080TI at full speed, stock power bricks.

It may not be the latest and greatest... but with a Samsung 970 256GB M.2 and an addition SSD.. it still flies!