cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LLC (Load Line Calibration) not working... Bios fix required ASAP

morph_
Level 11
Any eta on when there will be a bios patch/fix for LLC?

Vdrop is just too high at the moment it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCAQpvFhiUs
138 REPLIES 138

Raja
Level 13
https://www.io-tech.fi/uutinen/paivitys-testilabrasta-coffee-laken-kayttojannite-asuksen-strix-z370-...

Use google translate. That will give some of the you the answer to this hoo-haa. Unfortunately, they aren't measuring from the right place, either. To get a more accurate reading, you'd use one of the MLCC caps behind the socket. You want to get as close as you can to the socket pins so that you can see how much resistive loss you get through the power plane. Review sites simply aren't equipped to do this stuff properly. The non-technical guys profess to know things they don't understand, and those that try to be technical mess it up, too.

The requested VID can be affected by the IA/AC and DC load line settings. Has been like that for a while now. I'll see if I can get a board here and check what's going on.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
https://www.io-tech.fi/uutinen/paivitys-testilabrasta-coffee-laken-kayttojannite-asuksen-strix-z370-...

Use google translate. That will give some of the you the answer to this hoo-haa. Unfortunately, they aren't measuring from the right place, either. To get a more accurate reading, you'd use one of the MLCC caps behind the socket. You want to get as close as you can to the socket pins so that you can see how much resistive loss you get through the power plane. Review sites simply aren't equipped to do this stuff properly. The non-technical guys profess to know things they don't understand, and those that try to be technical mess it up, too.

The requested VID can be affected by the IA/AC and DC load line settings. Has been like that for a while now. I'll see if I can get a board here and check what's going on.

IO-tech got told by Asus to measure this way, which was a mistake. It will not yield accurate results. It would be best to measure at the MLCCs at the back of the socket, or even better using the on-die sense pins which are a bit trickier to find. Basically the closer to the CPU the better.

As a comparison on latest test BIOS with 1.360V manual mode. 4.7G loaded with Prime95 29.1 SmallFFTs. LLC levels are not fully tuned yet so can't reference which one yet. Probably around 4-5. CPU-Z has been relatively accurate and at most ~15mV off.

CPU-Z 1.264V
Measuring at IO-Tech indicated location 1.345V
Measuring at socket MLCC 1.253V

elmor wrote:
IO-tech got told by Asus to measure this way, which was a mistake. It will not yield accurate results. It would be best to measure at the MLCCs at the back of the socket, or even better using the on-die sense pins which are a bit trickier to find. Basically the closer to the CPU the better.

As a comparison on latest test BIOS with 1.360V manual mode. 4.7G loaded with Prime95 29.1 SmallFFTs. LLC levels are not fully tuned yet so can't reference which one yet. Probably around 4-5. CPU-Z has been relatively accurate and at most ~15mV off.

CPU-Z 1.264V
Measuring at IO-Tech indicated location 1.345V
Measuring at socket MLCC 1.253V

Thanks, Jon. Someone needs to learn where to measure.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Thanks, Jon. Someone needs to learn where to measure.

You mean whoever at Asus told them to measure there? 😛

Tech Hog wrote:
You mean whoever at Asus told them to measure there? 😛

More so the person that told them, but also for everyone that measures. If you need to ask... 😄

Raja@ASUS wrote:
More so the person that told them, but also for everyone that measures. If you need to ask... 😄

True. I think I'll order a new DMM just in case. You never know after all.

Fingers crossed for a fix this week!

Tech Hog wrote:
True. I think I'll order a new DMM just in case. You never know after all.

Fingers crossed for a fix this week!

Good choice. Expecting updates this week.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Good choice. Expecting updates this week.

Is this only affecting Strix boards btw? I've heard people saying that they think Prime-A and even M10H have the issue as well.

Tech Hog wrote:
Is this only affecting Strix boards btw? I've heard people saying that they think Prime-A and even M10H have the issue as well.

The Prime, yes. Elmor would know about the Hero. Either way, all boards that require an UEFI update will get one.