Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

street public

This is only somewhat related, but is there a reason why the E and F boards got a BIOS update and not the H. Aren't these all essentially the same boards, except for WIFI and RGB additions?

Should I be nervous if/when the LLC issue is fixed via a software update?

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by illusiveguy View Post
    This is only somewhat related, but is there a reason why the E and F boards got a BIOS update and not the H. Aren't these all essentially the same boards, except for WIFI and RGB additions?

Should I be nervous if/when the LLC issue is fixed via a software update?

This depends on what the updates are for and how busy the teams are. Staggered releases are common.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    R&D does the testing, not me. Again, measure the voltage properly and see what it's actually feeding, then adjust the ia ac/dc loadline to get the voltage you want. If third party software isn't accurate, you'll need to talk to them about it. 2.10 mOhms is Intel ref. I'm not sure if this affects all voltage modes. Like I said, I need a board to see what's going on. If you don't want to test or can't, then you'll need to wait until I do (or someone more capable tests).

Asking for proper testing before drawing firm conclusions isn't snarky.
    And the only way yo properly test is to buy a new cooler? Fine, then buy me one and for all of your future boards indicate that noctua's coolers are incompatible with your boards.

And you are being snarky. You're putting others down for questioning the greatness of Asus. And even if it's off, it's not .15V off. You people are just shifting responsibility and throwing blame wherever you can. All that you should have said is "We'll look into it. Also keep in mind that third party software could be reading incorrectly." When I put in 0.01 instead the reading is close to what I set in BIOS, and the temps seem in line with what to expect at that voltage, so there's no freaking way that the actual Vcore is far enough away from the true Vcore for it to be safe. I've seen people measure it. The Delta is half of what it would need to be for your advice to be sound. Tell R&D to look into it. I can guarantee that doing that will cause voltage to spike to no less than .1V higher than it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Hog View Post
    And the only way yo properly test is to buy a new cooler? Fine, then buy me one and for all of your future boards indicate that noctua's coolers are incompatible with your boards.

And you are being snarky. You're putting others down for questioning the greatness of Asus. And even if it's off, it's not .15V off. You people are just shifting responsibility and throwing blame wherever you can. All that you should have said is "We'll look into it. Also keep in mind that third party software could be reading incorrectly." When I put in 0.01 instead the reading is close to what I set in BIOS, and the temps seem in line with what to expect at that voltage, so there's no freaking way that the actual Vcore is far enough away from the true Vcore for it to be safe. I've seen people measure it. The Delta is half of what it would need to be for your advice to be sound. Tell R&D to look into it. I can guarantee that doing that will cause voltage to spike to no less than .1V higher than it should be.
    No, you wouldn't need a different cooler, because you'd see the initial delta on a DMM and would use values within its confines. Remember, I already stated that I'd look into it or have R&D look into it. Those posts were made on a Saturday. No fewer than 24 hours later, someone came in asking for a definitive answer. Let's digress, though.

The sag that is being reported and you've allegedly seen people measure would take more than a value of 0.01 to cure, so something in your 'testing' is off. But if you are happy with 0.01, carry on. The value of 0.01 was for Kaby Lake (as shown in this guide).

And oddly enough, I'm expecting some UEFI updates later.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

I tried this and the software reported over 1.5V Vcore with 1.355V set in the BIOS.
    You've not mentioned how you measured the voltage?

New ROGer Array

No, you wouldn't need a different cooler, because you'd see the initial delta on a DMM and would use values within its confines. Remember I already stated that I'd look into it or have R&D look into it. Those posts were made on a Saturday. No fewer than 24 hours later, someone came in asking for a definitive answer. Let's digress, though.

The sag that is being reported and you've allegedly seen people measure would take more than a value of 0.01 to cure, so something in your 'testing' is off. But if you are happy with 0.01, carry on. The value of 0.01 was for Kaby Lake (as shown in this guide).

And oddly enough, I'm expecting some UEFI updates later.
    So if I don't have a DMM I should just not use my computer until there's an update? Okay. Well if I can't use my computer anyway there's little reason to not just buy a new board, is there?

And I'd still need a different cooler to measure the initial value.

So if I don't have a DMM I should just not use my computer until there's an update? Okay. Well if I can't use my computer anyway there's little reason to not just buy a new board, is there?

And I'd still need a different cooler to measure the initial value.
    Vdroop isn't going to harm your computer, so carry on using it.

You would not need a different cooler to make a measurement. You would make the measurement before you'd determine you need to change the value. Making changes before you know you need to make them is akin to putting the cart before the horse.

New ROGer Array

Vdroop isn't going to harm your computer, so carry on using it.

You would not need a different cooler to make a measurement. You would make the measurement before you'd determine you need to change the value. Making changes before you know you need to make them, is akin to putting the cart before the horse.
    But I can't make the measurement because the backplate is in the way. So yes, I'd need to change the cooler.

But I can't make the measurement because the backplate is in the way. So yes, I'd need to change the cooler.
    Then dont change a thing and carry on using your PC. When there's an update for it, use the update. Like I said, Vdroop is not harmful.

New ROGer Array

Then dont change a thing and carry on using your PC. When there's an update for it, use the update. Like I said, Vdroop is not harmful.
    If I don't change anything from "stock" then MCE will be on due to another UEFI bug which sets "sync all cores" to default. And my concern is more that voltage might be spiking.

I guess this really is my fault, though. I could have avoided this by getting the Hero like originally planned. Well, lesson learned: only buy Asus products if they're high-end. I'll tell my friend who can't afford to spend $300 on a board to look at another company instead. Thank you. I'll wait for the update, and maybe get something new once Z390 rolls around.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast