cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with G751JY (flipping between AC/Battery)

Phishd
Level 7
I'm sorry if this has been posted before but i couldn't find an appropriate thread, or i couldn't seem to get the right search terms. I've had my G751JY since around March of 2016 and i have been noticing an odd issue. As of about a week ago the laptop will flip between AC and Battery power(as if I am plugging and unplugging my laptop), it seems to be only games that are more intensive on my graphics card or with periods of use for a long time. I can run 2d games, or light 3d games very well, but I cant even play Rocket League without it happening. It also seems that my AC input and plug(the plug that goes into the laptop) get hot , although that might just be me noticing it more because I'm paying more attention to my plug now. Again this only happens when i play 3d intensive games, and its really getting on my nerves.
16 REPLIES 16

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes under heavy loads your notebook demands power from both AC and your battery This is normal
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes under heavy loads your notebook demands power from both AC and your battery This is normal

wasn't there major issue(s) with GL502VS (63 pages now) because consumers were pissed this happened?

not that there's anything wrong with what you said; but, from a user perspective, if i plug the plug in, i expect it to not slowly kill my battery.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Yes at times things are what they are we just work around them. Also if you unplug your CPU and GPU with throttle down to power level present. These have been known for some times since the G751, I don't remember the issue with the G750 or G75. Compromises are made to get these powerful CPU and GPU to work in such a small crowded format as a notebook computer.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

haihane
Level 13
i really want to believe you, that it's something that can't be avoided. 😕

honest question: can't this thing be solved with a bigger powersupply brick out of the factory?

I have no Idea haihane, I don't play games so I haven't every actually seen the issue, just know about it from reading this forum. I personally stay plugged on all the time Desktop replacement. I pack up and move from job to job but once I'm on a project I stay plugged in My G75VW lasted me nearly 5 years on the same battery it was still working as a UPS when I handed it over to a family member whom continues using it today. I'm almost a year now with this G752VY, I guess it will raise it ugly head right after my 2 year warranty runs out.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

haihane
Level 13
i like your answer, i can feel honesty in it. thanks.

Well were all here to learn and try to help each other out
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

But i never had this issue previously. It just started happening in the past week. I dont understand how, games i played previously can just suddenly start causing the laptop to flip between AC and Battery power. It causes a massive drop in my FPS due to the laptop throttling the cpu and gpu down(even when on high performance mode) and is really hindering my ability to use this gaming laptop to play games.

Sanctrum
Level 9
I have G751JY too and I have never noticed what are you writing. Including the hot plug – never observed. I used to play The Witcher 3, Call of Duty Infinite War, Titanfall 2… for 2-3 hours per session and it is always ok.
Looks like your power brick is defective (or battery, or some”shortcut”). I would count on the power brick. Maybe just the power cord is defective, the one with the plug… Someone maybe bent it too much or stepped/pressed it with some chair leg? Or similar? That would explain the hot plug. So it looks like your rig does not receive enough power the time it is needed = during playing heavy GPU/CPU tasks… so rig simply switches to the battery supply.
Try to borrow some other power brick and test…