cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8700K OC on Maximus X Hero (Wifi) results, and a couple of questions

Nerror
Level 7
The 8700K (batch number L729C232) has been delidded and Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut has been used both over and under the IHS. I have so far only focused on the CPU overclock, so the memory is still running at the default 2133MHz.

At first I basically followed this guide from Raja: https://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/ and tried the Adaptive mode. After half a day of testing and trying, I just couldn't get it stable at 5.1GHz and even though I increased Vcore to 1.43v at one point, temps didn't really go up much either. They just hovered at around 65-68 degrees max.

So today I tried manual mode overclocking instead, and things changed quite a bit. I am now able to get a completely stable 5.1GHz OC. Temperatures went up as well, so I am thinking the Adaptive mode has a lot of vdroop and possibly some delay issues. A friend told me he has had a lot of similar issues on ASUS boards. Maybe a BIOS fix can do the trick?

Anyway, it's taken a bit to find what I think might be a proper vcore reading. CPU-Z shows a weird number, but the latest HWInfo beta, under the ROG MAXIMUS X HERO header has a Vcore reading that seems correct. When I set the Vcore to 1.35v manually in the BIOS, it shows around that number when idle, and then shoots up to 1.408v under max load. Is that normal? Is the reading wrong?

It's 2+ hour stable in Prime95 versions 27.9 and 28.10 as well as ROG Realbench 2.56 and the x264 stability test. Max temps on the cores for the latter three programs range from high 60s to mid 70s degrees, and up to 80 degrees on the hottest core in Prime95 27.9. During regular gaming temps stay in the mid-50s usually. I can actually push the chip to 5.2GHz except for core #3. It invariably fails in Prime95 while the rest truck on, so I guess that's my CPUs weak spot.

Here's a 2½ hour Prime95 screenshot. https://i.imgur.com/JIl3MGZ.jpg
19 REPLIES 19

Nerror
Level 7
Well dammit... Apparently I messed up the OC profiles or something, and the load line calibration I thought I had set manually was at Auto. That was a lot of testing at the wrong settings... Anyway, I set LLC to 6 and disabled Spread Spectrum as well for good measure, and I get this in Prime95 27.9. Still stable, showing lower vcore (1.344-1.360v) and also slightly lower temps than before during the 1 hour run.

Edit: And a 6 hour Realbench test over night. It's time to look at memory speeds.

You achieved a superb OC 🙂

I can't get it stable at 5Ghz with Vcore 1.33 . I don't want to set higher voltage. I'm getting around 85+ oC at Prime95 and it crashes after a while.

Although I'm stable at 4.8Ghz with 1.30V . Tested 1 hour prime95 small FFTs and X264 encoding one hour and it passed.

My cpu is not delidded and using a corsair h115i with 4 fans push-pull at 1000rpm.

I didn't change any setting in BIOS except XMP in RAM, vcore and multiplier. Can you post your settings in BIOS ???? 🙂

lefteris82 wrote:
You achieved a superb OC 🙂

I can't get it stable at 5Ghz with Vcore 1.33 . I don't want to set higher voltage. I'm getting around 85+ oC at Prime95 and it crashes after a while.

Although I'm stable at 4.8Ghz with 1.30V . Tested 1 hour prime95 small FFTs and X264 encoding one hour and it passed.

My cpu is not delidded and using a corsair h115i with 4 fans push-pull at 1000rpm.

I didn't change any setting in BIOS except XMP in RAM, vcore and multiplier. Can you post your settings in BIOS ???? 🙂

Make sure you don't forget to set the load line calibration, like I did at one point 🙂 But you are definitely temperature limited compared to my delidded chip.

I currently have the RAM running at 3466MHz stable, but I am stuck there at that speed and with those primary timings until I know how far I can safely push VCCIO and VCCSA. I did an all-night 8 hour Realbench test as well, but forgot to screenshot it. The RAM settings are also both Memtest86 and HCI Memtest stable:

Here are the BIOS screenshots you asked for:
Extreme Tweaker main page

External Digi+ Power Control

Internal CPU Power Management

My DRAM Timings as well, but that's just if you happen to have the exact same RAM as me they are useful. But you should probably disable the MRC Fast Boot, as that allows your RAM to train and find the correct timings on boot.

I forgot to take a screenshot of it, but I also set the C-states to enabled instead of Auto.

Thank you very much for all. I will see what i can do with manual settings , and report back !

Unfortunately deliding the CPU seems to be neccessary to reach 5Ghz stable and decent temperatures.

Nerror wrote:
Make sure you don't forget to set the load line calibration, like I did at one point 🙂 But you are definitely temperature limited compared to my delidded chip.

I currently have the RAM running at 3466MHz stable, but I am stuck there at that speed and with those primary timings until I know how far I can safely push VCCIO and VCCSA. I did an all-night 8 hour Realbench test as well, but forgot to screenshot it. The RAM settings are also both Memtest86 and HCI Memtest stable:

Here are the BIOS screenshots you asked for:
Extreme Tweaker main page

External Digi+ Power Control

Internal CPU Power Management

My DRAM Timings as well, but that's just if you happen to have the exact same RAM as me they are useful. But you should probably disable the MRC Fast Boot, as that allows your RAM to train and find the correct timings on boot.

I forgot to take a screenshot of it, but I also set the C-states to enabled instead of Auto.

Hi all

can we expect see the come back of adaptive mode it was a good idea ?

jab383
Level 13
Good OC, and yes, delidding is critical for stable working above 5GHz with 4 cores let alone 6.

I have G skill 4266, 8700k and X Hero on a H115i, I am building a full water cooled case labs setup with dual 560mm rads, but that won't be completed for a while.

out of the box I ran a bunch of benchies @ 5.2ghz 1.35, no issues at all. Not sure what temps were.

I had problems getting 3866 or w/e and have not tried to fine tweak it in there. So I settled @ 3733 @ 1.32 CL19, been totally stable. I only had 3dmark11 on hand and hit a little over 30k P score, my biggest score yet with a 1080Ti.

Currently my CPU is not overclocked but my memory is sitting @ 3733. Mainly due to the fact that when I run benchmarks I just run my fan profiles @ 100%. I need to put in the time to see where I want to land on cpu overclock and voltage for all day silent running without any crazy temps.

Basically I am burning in my mobo, memory and cpu to certify it for my hard line water build I am doing.

FunkyDoggo
Level 7
Nerror wrote:
Anyway, it's taken a bit to find what I think might be a proper vcore reading. CPU-Z shows a weird number, but the latest HWInfo beta, under the ROG MAXIMUS X HERO header has a Vcore reading that seems correct. When I set the Vcore to 1.35v manually in the BIOS, it shows around that number when idle, and then shoots up to 1.408v under max load. Is that normal? Is the reading wrong?

I have the Maximus X Hero WiFi also and my vcore does not read correctly from CPU-Z or HardwareInfo (from CPU-ID). I tried HWInfo as you mentioned and that is the only program that displays a reading that remotely matches what I would expect. I've spoken to another with the non WiFi board and they don't have this problem.. but that's a very small sample size to draw any conclusions from.

markm75
Level 7
I have a similar setup, using the 8700k silicon lottery rated 5.1ghz at 1.41 and avx -2 (by them).. with ram F4-3200C15D-32GTZ (not sure if the same, cas 15)..

I have vcore at 1.39 currently.. pushing past 3200mhz would cause no post for a long time then having to change it.. tried everything until i tried dram up from 1.4 to 1.425 and 17,17,38 timings (2t) at 3400.. llc 6.. vcio 1.15 and sa 1.2..

When i run tests like occt large, i'm only seeing a freq average of 3200.. is this normal?

Same deal with blend on prime 95 27.9 (non modded one).. seeing 3500 for instance.. ? puzzled by this, but maybe ill try your custom prime 95 test.. (there is a modded 27.9 out there that keeps temps down i think, unsure)..

With all this i max one core to 69C if that.