cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6E: Any clue on what is the expected i9-7940X overclock?

Inkar
Level 7
Hi,

Does anyone have a clue about what is the all core expected i9-7940X (non-avx) overclock range with the Rampage VI Extreme and an AIO?.
I know nothing is guaranteed other than the factory specs. I just can't find any reviews with this kind of data for the 7940X.

Thanks.
83 REPLIES 83

JustinThyme
Level 13
As soon as you mentioned AIO you killed the OC capabilities.*

There isn’t much data out there just yet as the platform is just too new. What is out there are comparisons on the 7900X and the 7920X.

If you want to run a mild OC a very good AIO is required like at least a Corsair H115i or one of the 360 rad AIOs. *If you want to see what it can really do it’s going to require a well designed custom loop.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Brighttail
Level 11
I have to agree here. Anything over a 7900x is pretty much very limited to any decent overclock over the set turbo unless you have the ability to really cool the chip. I would also agree that you would need a minimum of a 360 rad on any AIO. Just based off a quick internet search 4.3 is the turbo limit but that is only on 2 cores. With an AIO i think you would be very lucky to hit 4.0 on all cores under normal CPU stress tests. The HCC processors just throw off that much heat.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Inkar
Level 7
Thanks for the replies.

Definitely I'm going to buy a good AIO. I have this one in mind, but could change it for another if there is something better:
EVGA CLC 280 - https://eu.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-CL28-V1

I read this review at TomsHardware for the 7960X (has 2 more cores than the 7940X). They got a 4.3GHz OC with a Corsair H100i, but the temps are 84-88ºC while stress-testing. Guess with 2 less cores and the slightly better cooler I could keep that speed with more reasonable temps and that would be it.

JustinThyme
Level 13
More like this

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Performance-Radiator-Compound-included/dp/B01KZTE0XS

or this

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Ultimate-Enthusiast-Cooling-CL-W007-PL12BL/dp/B00MPIDYTO

or this

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xlc-predator-360-incl-qdc

Any of these will be acceptable but barely for mild OC. Again if you want to clock it then you will need to do a proper custom loop. A 300W TDP when the Vcore is jacked and all cores are loaded and OCd is not out of the question and there is currently no AIO that can handle that.

Of course Im adding two GPUs in the mix but Ill be running 2x480, 1x360 and 1x240 or 280 which ever will fit in whats left. The 480s will have push pull configuration. Ill have it done within the next few days.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

jab383
Level 13
I agree with JustinThyme that AOI is inadequate for the expected 300 watts, plus GPU. I also think that, at the 300 watt level, no water loop will cool the CPU well with all that baby poo under the heat spreader. Consider delidding and using a better TIM.

mpoffo
Level 10
I have a Corsair H115i and under stress tests things heat up but under the limits (high 60's to mid 80's depending on the stress/benchmark test). For normal everyday use though (i.e. gaming) things seem to run pretty cool with a 4.4/4.5 OC for me on all cores. In some games the temps stay in the 40's (Ark) or get a bit warmer (50's). Again it will depend on the game/application you are running and how it utilizes the CPU.
RVIE X299 System:
Windows 10 Prof 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x | ASUS Rampage VI Extreme | Corsair AX 1200i PSU
Corsair 900D | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL Trident RGB Series | RTX 3090/EVGA GTX 1080 | Acer X34 Predator Monitor
Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive
Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup

mpoffo wrote:
I have a Corsair H115i and under stress tests things heat up but under the limits (high 60's to mid 80's depending on the stress/benchmark test). For normal everyday use though (i.e. gaming) things seem to run pretty cool with a 4.4/4.5 OC for me on all cores. In some games the temps stay in the 40's (Ark) or get a bit warmer (50's). Again it will depend on the game/application you are running and how it utilizes the CPU.

Thanks. Skunkfoo has a 7940x too and is getting approximately the same results with the AIO he is using for testing before he makes his custom build.

BTW, I'm guessing you didn't delid. Did you?

Inkar wrote:
Thanks. Skunkfoo has a 7940x too and is getting approximately the same results with the AIO he is using for testing before he makes his custom build.

To clarify I have a 7900x and no I did not delid (although tempted to). I can't imagine the results will be much different though.
RVIE X299 System:
Windows 10 Prof 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x | ASUS Rampage VI Extreme | Corsair AX 1200i PSU
Corsair 900D | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL Trident RGB Series | RTX 3090/EVGA GTX 1080 | Acer X34 Predator Monitor
Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive
Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup

Inkar wrote:

Thanks for the mention. To recap:

Test bench build:

• Thermaltake AIO 360 Floe
  • NON Delidded
  • 4.6 GHz
  • 1.25 VID
  • Stablish but Fails on Aida64 Stress Test
  • hits thermal limit when stressed 90C+

Tower 900 Custom Dual Loop build:

• EK Monoblock, Enermax 400ml pump res, Black Ice Nemesis 560 GTX (CPU Only)
  • NON Delidded
  • 4.6 GHz
  • 1.25 VID
  • Very Stable passes all stress and benchmark tests
  • 70C-80C under load 27C-31C idle

I tried 4.7 GHz at 1.275 and it would boot and run a few things but crash after a few minutes. I feel like I have room to push more voltage but I have no idea what a safe max voltage is. Can I go to 1.3 VID?

Of note, when I ran XMP for my G.Skill 3733 kit at the default 4.4 turbo CPU ID and Aida64 reported a max of 1.322 VID!!! And it was typically 1.288 VID.

Anyone have a reliable link that talks about max voltages for a i9 7940x?