Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Protocol View Post
    No "forgiving" testing for me. If it won't run any instruction set in any stress program/benchmark/non-synthetic workload at absolute 100 percent for at least 8 hours then I do not consider my system stable. (I only perform 8-hour testing if a smaller 2-hour test passes. Usually minor tweaks over a day or so gets everything dialed in tightly). Being lidded, I am hitting a thermal wall myself. Just can't get enough heat out and into the waterblock/coolant.

Skylake-X in general suffers from heat-transference issues due to the TIM compound that is used. I'm sure a hefty number of people are able to hit clocks with decent voltage overhead remaining but are reaching the TMAX instead (non-delidded of course).
    This methodology doesn't work well on these platforms, unless you're ok with sacrificing performance. Nobody really wants to do that, do they? There is little to no point at all subjecting the CPU to that much torture if you don't plan on using AVX workloads.

Major Asshattery Array Protocol PC Specs
    Protocol PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    Processori9-7940X
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Special Edition Torque - DDR4-3200
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 - EK waterblock
    Graphics Card #2EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 - EK waterblock
    Sound CardOnboard Audio
    MonitorAcer Predator XB321HK
    Storage #1Samsung 960 PRO NVMe
    Storage #2Samsung 960 PRO NVMe
    CPU CoolerEK R6E Monoblock
    CaseCorsair 900D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse Razer Mamba Tournament Edition
    Headset Astro A40
    Mouse Pad Razer Manticore
    Headset/Speakers Klipsch THX
    OS Windows 10 Pro (Track-Me Edition)
    Network RouterCisco ASA 5515
    Accessory #1 MCP655 PWM Pumps (2)
    Accessory #2 Gold-plated AK
    Accessory #3 Spinners

Yes, very aware of this. Works fine on mine. Highly subjective really because of course it’s going to depend entirely on what "the goal" is! Having an 8-hour render fail due to that extra 100 MHz that tips the scales doesn’t make sense for some. I do a lot of HEVC encoding and other parallel workloads. AVX2 primarily as I tend to soft-disable AVX-512, for now.

If anything one would want to test more throughly with AVX workloads given the characteristic power/heat tendencies.

Sacraficing performance is subjective because performance itself is subjective. To me performance is stability at decent clocks and temperatures for an extended amount of time. To others they might be content with the opposite if their workload supports it.
    Last edited by Protocol; 01-29-2018 at 09:25 AM.
    | Corsair 900D | i9-7940X @ 4.5 GHz 24/7 (All-Core) | Rampage VI Extreme |
    | 32GB (4x8) Corsair Dominator Special Edition 3200 Kit (14-16-16-36) |
    | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 with EK blocks - 2x-SLi | Corsair AXi1200 PSU |
    | 2x Samsung 960 PRO NVMe | Custom Liquid Cooling (Dedicated CPU/VRM - EK Monoblock) vs. VGA Loops | Koolance Fittings |
    | 2x 360mm BlackIce SR-1 Radiators - Push-Pull | 12x Corsair AF-120 Fans |
    | 2x MCP655-PWM Pumps | 2x BitsPower 250mL Reservoirs

Yes, very aware of this. Works fine on mine. Highly subjective really because of course it’s going to depend entirely on what "the goal" is! Having an 8-hour render fail due to that extra 100 MHz that tips the scales doesn’t make sense for some. I do a lot of HEVC encoding and other parallel workloads. AVX2 primarily as I tend to soft-disable AVX-512, for now.

If anything one would want to test more throughly with AVX workloads given the characteristic power/heat tendencies.

Sacraficing performance is subjective because performance itself is subjective. To me performance is stability at decent clocks and temperatures for an extended amount of time. To others they might be content with the opposite if their workload supports it.
    When talking about overclocking, the metric is frequency for a given workload. As per my previous post:

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    There is little to no point at all subjecting the CPU to that much torture if you don't plan on using AVX workloads.
    If the stress tests are relevant to a given workload, then that's fine. That's a little different from saying the below...

No "forgiving" testing for me. If it won't run any instruction set in any stress program/benchmark/non-synthetic workload at absolute 100 percent for at least 8 hours then I do not consider my system stable.

All the more reason to make good use of AVX and AVX512 offsets.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ASUS; 01-29-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Stable

Well I have been for the past few weeks running 24/7 a mixture of large scale zip work consisting of over 42,000 files being opened, changed and repackaged from one SSD to another using all cores. This produces heavy loads on all cores, heavy memory use and constant I/O. This has been stable. The PC also runs blender for 6+ hours with 100% CPU without fail. I have not de-lidded but I did use liquid metal paste between the CPU and the HUGE dedicated EK CPU & VRM waterblock.

Can I just ask again what people with the 7940x are setting their VCCIO and CPU System Agent to?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Marko911 PC Specs
    Marko911 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage extreme VI
    Processori9 7900x @4,7Ghz cores at from 7x1,20v-3x1,21v
    Memory (part number)G.skill 32GB 3200MHZ CL14 DDR4 quad kit
    Graphics Card #1Aorus 1080ti extreme edition @2032Mhz/12000Mhz
    MonitorAsus something IPS,144Hz ,Freesync
    Storage #1m.2 Samsung EVO 960 1TB
    Storage #2m.2 Samsung EVO 960 500GB
    CPU CoolerEKWB monoblock
    CaseThermaltake view 71 TG
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard rappo wireless keyboard and mouse
    Headset Logitech G933
    OS win 10 pro/64bit
    Accessory #1 HL GTS 360mm/push only
    Accessory #2 HL SR2 360mm push/pull
    Accessory #3 HL SR2 420mm push/pull

I Oced mine i9 7900x stock TIM,I couldn't pass PRime95 26,yesterday I did delidding with rockit99 and my temp in idle are 26,full load 75C...So I don't think I could expect something more from OC beyond 4,0 all cores expect little better temps at full load.Will give full report in a few days.Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko911 View Post
    I Oced mine i9 7900x stock TIM,I couldn't pass PRime95 26,yesterday I did delidding with rockit99 and my temp in idle are 26,full load 75C...So I don't think I could expect something more from OC beyond 4,0 all cores expect little better temps at full load.Will give full report in a few days.Hope it helps.

Did you buy the CPU to run Prime all day?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Trout View Post
    Well I have been for the past few weeks running 24/7 a mixture of large scale zip work consisting of over 42,000 files being opened, changed and repackaged from one SSD to another using all cores. This produces heavy loads on all cores, heavy memory use and constant I/O. This has been stable. The PC also runs blender for 6+ hours with 100% CPU without fail. I have not de-lidded but I did use liquid metal paste between the CPU and the HUGE dedicated EK CPU & VRM waterblock.

Can I just ask again what people with the 7940x are setting their VCCIO and CPU System Agent to?
    CPU and memory kit dependent, but for 4000Mhz 4x8GB I'm using VCCSA 0.880v and VCCIO 1V
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ASUS; 01-30-2018 at 07:50 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array CSN7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Trout View Post

Running a 7920X, but SA 0.880v should be about right. Didn't really need to raise it beyond that even at 4000Mhz and 15-15-15-35 1T.
    IO on the other hand is very usefull to stabilize Mesh frequency. I think not everyone realizes that. Is set to 1.1v IO for everyday use @3200 Mesh.

But that's what's possible with a good combination of settings:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aida 4000Mhz.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	71030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R15 3324.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	71031

Just wanted to add that certain cores will heat up a lot more than others and that the only way to keep heat issues resolved is to back off on the cores that run hot and concentrate on the others that don't.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Marko911 PC Specs
    Marko911 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage extreme VI
    Processori9 7900x @4,7Ghz cores at from 7x1,20v-3x1,21v
    Memory (part number)G.skill 32GB 3200MHZ CL14 DDR4 quad kit
    Graphics Card #1Aorus 1080ti extreme edition @2032Mhz/12000Mhz
    MonitorAsus something IPS,144Hz ,Freesync
    Storage #1m.2 Samsung EVO 960 1TB
    Storage #2m.2 Samsung EVO 960 500GB
    CPU CoolerEKWB monoblock
    CaseThermaltake view 71 TG
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard rappo wireless keyboard and mouse
    Headset Logitech G933
    OS win 10 pro/64bit
    Accessory #1 HL GTS 360mm/push only
    Accessory #2 HL SR2 360mm push/pull
    Accessory #3 HL SR2 420mm push/pull

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    Did you buy the CPU to run Prime all day?

CPU and memory kit dependent, but for 4000Mhz 4x8GB I'm using VCCSA 0.880v and VCCIO 1V
    Point taken,I'm new to HEDT platform so I'm used to run prime on i7 7700k...Can you suggest me something to test stability on i9?I didn't have any issue with TPU II OC profile but,but temps on those settings are pretty much high for delid CPU...

Quote Originally Posted by Marko911 View Post
    Point taken,I'm new to HEDT platform so I'm used to run prime on i7 7700k...Can you suggest me something to test stability on i9?I didn't have any issue with TPU II OC profile but,but temps on those settings are pretty much high for delid CPU...
    The point was really just that, it depends on the workload. So what is your workload?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast