can G20CB overclock memory(DDR4 RAM)?

Azry_Raz
Level 7
Hey Guys,
Any experience installing higher clock DDR4 RAM
6 REPLIES 6

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
depends on your cpu and if it can take that high speed, what speed are you looking to install and what is your cpu?

Hey WG,

Sorry for the late reply.Big Fan, Im using a i7 6700.

Regards,

Korth
Level 14
You've got an ASUS-proprietary "ROG" H170 mobo, i7-6700, "8GB up to 32GB" of dual-channel DDR4-2133.

It should be able to overclock memory if the firmware hasn't locked XMP out. But I don't think by a whole lot, your G20-H170 mobo probably doesn't have all the VRMs and overclocking features that are embedded in mainstream ROG mobos.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Too bad, seems modern game utulise higher clock Ram push extra performance.

chilinmichael
Level 10
Simple answer: There are no memory performance options in the BIOS. Unless it somehow automatically steps up, doubtful. From my numerous posts asking about memory upgrades in the past, not a single person chimed in with upgrading and seeing any difference. You could probably upgrade, but you'll run at whatever the BIOS was at with the previous ram/stock.

Someone would have to purchase better RAM, then use a utility to see what it's running at.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

Indeed, the best you can do is to buy 2133Mhz SO-DIMM RAM with the lowest latency and timing possible. In DDR4, the quickest i founded was some Crucial and HyperX ram with 13-13-13 timing (the last values between both are similar), then get a 13 CL (or CAS).