cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG27VQ Questions

Marelius
Level 7
Hi there,
In the last weeks i updated my System with a ASUS 1080TI OC Card and decided i want to go from my BENQ 27" 1080p XL2720Z TN Panel to a 1440p Monitor. The first monitor i tryed was the PG279Q AHVA (IPS) Panel, but i returned it because it had extensive glow i noticed in some games i play even at normal room lighting. Than i read about the new PG27VQ TN Panel and was very exited there was a new monior coming without the IPS panel lottery (i really dont want to play it). It was curved witch i wanted to try anyway and advertised with this quantom dot thing. End of last week i spoted the monitor in an online shop and a day later i got it delivered.

The first thing i thoght when i turned it on was, wow the colors dont look as bad as my old TN and were very near to the PG279Q from my memory. Then i opend the explorer and the next thing i was donig was rubbin the screen with a micro fiber, because i thought there were some grease or something on the screen. To my surprise nothing changed and i was looking if there was some kind of protective foil on it (witch i have never seen on a pc monitor) so i was careful and did some research. While doing this i was hit with the disapointment bat right in the face. The grainy look on the monitor is the AG-coating. In the last years i owned serveral matte TN panels (most recent the BENQ, 2 Samsung SyncMaster P2450 and some notebooks from work) all with a matte coating and i have never seen such a grainy look. I read many reviews on the IPS panels with the BLB and Glows and all but i never paied really attention to the coating as i thout matte is matte. And the recent IPS panles i have seen (PG279Q and a ROG Notebook) where about the same coating as the TNs i know.

So i am now considering to return this one as well.

So now to my questions:
-Why do nearly all 1440p TN monitors have this strong coating? I normaly like matte and never had problems with the light coating, but i find the look of this one disturbing
-Is there any other TN monitor close to the PQ27VQ with a lighter coating other than the new revisions of the DELL S2716DG (i dont really like the looks of this one) or a way to minimize the grainy look without damaging the monitor (as of removing the coating, wich i surely will not do)
-Dose the PQ27VQ really have this quantum dot thing, i read on several occations it was advertised early but was removed from the monitor later
8 REPLIES 8

flakeoff101
Level 7
Where did you actually buy this monitor? I can't find it for sale anywhere.

German Online Shop:
https://www.alternate.de/ASUS/PG27VQ-LED-Monitor/html/product/1380351?

But i think im going to return it. Its just too expensive for that i really dont like the coating.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi Marelius,

What exactly is the issue with the coating? Too glossy you mean? PG27VQ does not have Quantom Dot technology, initially it was an option on select models and regions but later cancelled.

The issue with the coating is that it was far too heavy, bright and escepialy white color looked grainy with little sparkling effect, wich i found very disturbing.

The AG coating on the PG279Q was fine tftcentral refferes to that as "light ag coating" this is about the same i know from my BENQ and all other TNs i owned over the years.

I mention tftcetral because it was the only website wich really classified the coatings in its reviews.

I did many hours of research in the internet about this issue, and it seems nearly all TN pannels (1440p 144hz+) nowdays use this "moderate" coating as the PG27VQ or PG278QR. An exception is the DELL S2716DG. Dell changed the coating in Revision A02 to a "light" one.

So i returned the PG27VQ 2 days ago, and now im back at the BENQ waiting for some kind of alternative to come out.

What a bummer, i was really looking forward to this monitor and was hoping they would use a lighter coating this time, since the heavily grainy coating on the PG278Q and PG278QR was one of the main community complaints.

There are some alternatives in 2018, though. The PG27VQR (the quantum dot version of this monitor, confirmed by a PR-Manager), which will maybe use a different coating, or the new AOC TN display, which will release May 2018. Also Acer will release a quantum dot TN monitor sometime in the future.

ok call me crazy but you sell a monitor 870e in my country is 1050 for what? no QD , TN display curve which is almost useless with that backlight bleed or even worse and why not get the pg279Q which is cheaper with IPS display aka LOT BETTER COLOURS , like what??? i dont get the price policy you must kick the dude fix the prices ps. this will be the most undersell monitor if price tag not change will w8 the pg27vqr

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
What exactly is the issue with the coating?

Intead of asking what the issue is, can't you tell us why the coating is actually different from few last models instead? That's what we really want to know when we are in the process of buying a new monitor.

PG27VQ does not have Quantom Dot technology, initially it was an option on select models and regions but later cancelled.

Same here, can't you tell us WHY it was cancelled? I know it was advertised being QD all over the place and then you just remove that info without telling potentials buyers why. Was there any issues with it?

FYI I was highly looking at this monitor and was waiting for reviews to show up but now I must admit with the coating issue and QD now gone without explanation, it's a big turn off. I will still keep an eye on review of course, maybe I'll learn more.

Now, what can you tell us about the PG27VQR? I've heard from a reviewer it will be the same monitor but with QD. The fact is I doubt ASUS will launch 2 very similar monitors in less than 6 months interval because you would kill the first one. And if QD was an issue why this time it would not? Of course the reply I'm expecting here is you won't say anything about it exactly to not kill the current one just starting to show up in stores, right?

Clearly, ASUS need to be more transparent with their loyal fans.

AlexTheRepublic
Level 9
Hey. I wrote some questions about the price and availability of this monitor a while back on this forum. The thread got a handful of views, but anyway, I ended up buying a FreeSync alternative with the same specs (less then two thirds of the PG278QR and about half of the PG27VQ's price). Now that I've had it as my daily driver for a month or so I have to say that the coating is one of its biggest downsides. The colors are #1 but hey, it's a TN. Anyway, seeing that you have the same complain about yours is quite astonishing and it really makes me satisfied with my decision. I'm okay with that fact that I didn't wait.

Later!