cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Ask For Advice] Buying A Gaming Laptop Under $800

deve21
Level 7
Hello Everyone,
I was planning to buy a new gaming laptop with a $800 budget, I already searched online and confused between 2 laptops depending on this gaming laptops guide
1. Dell Inspiron i5577
Processor: Intel Core i5-7300HQ
Speed: Up to 3.5GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Graphics Size: 4GB of GDDR5
Ram: 8GB DDR4
Hard Drive: 256GB SSD

The dell offers a 4 GB graphics memory (GTX 1050) but it has TN screen.

2. ASUS M580VD
Processor: Intel Core i5-7300HQ
Speed: Up to 3.5 GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Graphics Size: 2GB of GDDR5
Ram: 8GB DDR4
Hard Drive: 256GB SSD

On the other side the Asus offers 2GB memory of the same graphics card but it offers a lot of good features and HD display.

Is 2 GB of GTX 1050 enough for modern games ? or i should get the 4GB laptop ?
4 REPLIES 4

Korth
Level 14
Newegg, Amazon, PCPartPicker, etc allow searches filtered by price.

An important question is screen size (which also basically determines the size of the whole laptop). Along with screen resolution and quality, of course.

Note that you can (almost) always upgrade the RAM and drives in the future but you (usually) cannot upgrade the motherboard, processor, GPU card, or battery. So it might be worth buying a model with smaller/slower memory or drives now (and upgrade these components later) if it allows faster/better CPU and GPU now within your budget.

To answer your question about GTX 1050 ... it is plenty for some games, okay for other games, dismal on some games. Logical Increments offers fair summaries for how well specific hardware performs at specific games and tasks. Mobile and desktop GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060 GPUs are roughly equivalent (you can compare specs at Wikipedia), assuming they have the same amount of VRAM. A 4GB GPU is a serious performance upgrade over a 2GB GPU with anything more demanding than Netflix/Youtube these days.

$800 might buy you more with a "normal" laptop instead of a "gaming" laptop. Because they basically don't force you to pay for tons of fancy RGBs, hyped audio, extra overclocking and undervolting technologies, and other gamer-specific enhancements. I will say that I've observed much advantage in mechanical keyboards on laptops in recent years, whether you're a typing elitist or not you'll appreciate the fact that they're robust enough to last many years before a keycap falls off or a keyswitch malfunctions, lol. I personally cannot abide touchpads and must have a real mouse, I always add the price of a mouse into the price of the laptop.

I advise the first thing you do the first time you turn it on, before even allowing a single update or deleting a shortcut to the most obvious and obnoxious junkware, is make a complete backup image/clone of the entire system drive. The second thing you should do is lookup how to retrieve your Windows Product Key then write it down.

[Edit: This is an ASUS forum so most people here are going to advise an ASUS laptop.]
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Newegg, Amazon, PCPartPicker, etc allow searches filtered by price.

An important question is screen size (which also basically determines the size of the whole laptop). Along with screen resolution and quality, of course.

Note that you can (almost) always upgrade the RAM and drives in the future but you (usually) cannot upgrade the motherboard, processor, GPU card, or battery. So it might be worth buying a model with smaller/slower memory or drives now (and upgrade these components later) if it allows faster/better CPU and GPU now within your budget.

To answer your question about GTX 1050 ... it is plenty for some games, okay for other games, dismal on some games. Logical Increments offers fair summaries for how well specific hardware performs at specific games and tasks. Mobile and desktop GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060 GPUs are roughly equivalent (you can compare specs at Wikipedia), assuming they have the same amount of VRAM. A 4GB GPU is a serious performance upgrade over a 2GB GPU with anything more demanding than Netflix/Youtube these days.

$800 might buy you more with a "normal" laptop instead of a "gaming" laptop. Because they basically don't force you to pay for tons of fancy RGBs, hyped audio, extra overclocking and undervolting technologies, and other gamer-specific enhancements. I will say that I've observed much advantage in mechanical keyboards on laptops in recent years, whether you're a typing elitist or not you'll appreciate the fact that they're robust enough to last many years before a keycap falls off or a keyswitch malfunctions, lol. I personally cannot abide touchpads and must have a real mouse, I always add the price of a mouse into the price of the laptop.

I advise the first thing you do the first time you turn it on, before even allowing a single update or deleting a shortcut to the most obvious and obnoxious junkware, is make a complete backup image/clone of the entire system drive. The second thing you should do is lookup how to retrieve your Windows Product Key then write it down.

[Edit: This is an ASUS forum so most people here are going to advise an ASUS laptop.]

Korth, thank you very much that's great answer. However i can't understand some advanced points so i think i will go with the Dell laptop and connect to external display at gaming time. Thank you again 🙂

The dell one shared by you is best in this budget but the con with that one is that it comes with TN display instead of IPS one.... If possible spend more money and get the one with IPS display check this list https://laptopjar.com/best-gaming-laptops-under-800-dollars/

I have used ASUS ROG G701VI-XB72K which provides me very amazing experences. MAY U ALSO HAVE A UNFORGETTABLE MEMORY.:eek: