cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed with Z170 Pro after BIOS update// RAM and XMP issues

Polypropylen
Level 7
Dear Asus forums,

I need your help. My system basically consists of the following: Asus Z170 Pro mobo, i7-6700K and 4x 8GB 3200Mhz Corsair Domi DDR4 The system was working flawlessly for almost two years until today. Today, I decided to update my BIOS to the latest version because I got access to a cheap 7700K which has been delidded which I wanted to use. The update itself went smooth but the aftermath oh my...

*At first I wasn’t even able to go past POST but then I realized XMP is giving the system troubles so I deactivated it. This allowed me to boot the pc as usual. Then I cleared the CMOS, removed all RAM four ram sticks and put only a single one back in place. Then I activated XMP again and it was working as usual. RAM was recognized, running at 3200Mhz and PC booting normally. I went ahead and put the three other RAM sticks back in one after another. The system was correctly working again. ......at the surface at least......

When all four sticks were recognized with XMP profile and Windows also reported 3200Mhz frequency, I went back into BIOS to set my usual settings again that got lost in the process. Then I noticed, that the XMP profile correctly inserted 1.35V in the DRAM Voltage Box of the BIOS but somehow the value next to it(indicating its current value) read 1.456V, several reboots didn’t fix it. I went ahead and loaded the standard optimized default settings and rebooted. This resulted in the basic RAM settings without XMP (2133Mhz and like 1.2v). Setting XMP afterwards resulted in the same 1.456v instead of 1.35v. So I reverted to the default settings and then input the RAM specifications (latency and stuff) manually instead of using XMP. Well, my RAM now works correctly but runs at 1.36V instead of the 1.35V I set it at but this is better than the XMP profile I guess.

*I also noticed my PC taking longer to boot because it stays in POST longer than before. In fact I noticed the Memory/RAM LED constantly glowing 4-5secs before it goes off and the pc continues to boot. The boot process won’t continue as long as this LED is on.

*So my problem boils down to two things which were both not present with the old bios version:
*1. Strange XMP voltages (it was sitting at exactly 1.35V before)
*2. Longer boot time because memory LED lights up longer during POST (I think it lighted up as well before the BIOS update but it wasn’t as long as it does now....I guess it is normal that it lights up during boot at least for a short period of time to check if all is ok?)

*Can anyone give me advice what to do?
*Thank you very much!
I appreciate all replies and tips!
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hi Polypropylen

Welcome to the ROG forum !

If setting your ram manually is working without issues, go with it. I prefer setting the ram manually vs. XMP.

As for the longer boot time, in the bios on the boot tab try disabling CSM and see if it boots any faster.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Polypropylen

Welcome to the ROG forum !

If setting your ram manually is working without issues, go with it. I prefer setting the ram manually vs. XMP.

As for the longer boot time, in the bios on the boot tab try disabling CSM and see if it boots any faster.

I just found it strange that XMP sets the wrong Voltage after the Bios update versus it was working beforehand.*

Okay I will try disabling CSM when I get back home. Any idea what causes the Memory LED to light up longer than before?*

Maybe I will flash the BIOS with the same version once again just to make sure it worked correctly. Is there a way to do that?*

Nate152
You can revert to an older bios version or refflash the bios with the EZ Flash 3 utility and a usb flash drive.

If all was well before updating the bios, reverting to the previous version might be the best solution.

Nate152 wrote:
You can revert to an older bios version or refflash the bios with the EZ Flash 3 utility and a usb flash drive.

If all was well before updating the bios, reverting to the previous version might be the best solution.

I discovered this Problem has something to do with the newer BIOS and XMP profiles. I reverted my BIOS to the version beforehand the most up to date one. It still gets 1,456V to the RAM and takes MUCH longer to boot AS SOON AS I either switch on XMP or set the parameters of my RAM manually. No idea why. I will continue to test some earlier BIOS version....

This is so frustrating!*