cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM upgrade for GL702VS with built in battery ?

tdeneve
Level 7
Hey guys, past question regarding this, promise haha

When you replace your RAM in the GL 702VS, do you do anything regading the battery? or is it meant to be replaced once the unit is powered off and disconnected without further action needed?

Just want to make sure i don't fry anything since it's a built in battery.

Thank you bunch
5 REPLIES 5

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
tdeneve wrote:
Hey guys, past question regarding this, promise haha

When you replace your RAM in the GL 702VS, do you do anything regading the battery? or is it meant to be replaced once the unit is powered off and disconnected without further action needed?

Just want to make sure i don't fry anything since it's a built in battery.

Thank you bunch

You could see more detail in chapter 5: Upgrading your Notebook PC of the user’s manual.
For your reference.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/GL702VSK/0409_E12080_GL702VS_A.pdf?_ga=2.167756153.676026328.150...
(from Page 75)

OnePiece@ASUS wrote:
You could see more detail in chapter 5: Upgrading your Notebook PC of the user’s manual.
For your reference.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/GL702VSK/0409_E12080_GL702VS_A.pdf?_ga=2.167756153.676026328.150...
(from Page 75)

that's where i was a bit confused they talked about removing power before open the cover, which you cannot when it comes to the battery since it is inside. I assume it is meant to not be messed with during the process then

I added in week-end a single one 8GB: shutdown (not sleep!), detach power cable, unscrew all the screws - including the one in the middle of the cover, protected by a poor glued rubber , carefully take off the cover (pay attention on USB region, you may use a plastic knife or a credit card to detach those small plastic ends), insert the memory in its slot and carefully press down until it clicks.
re-done everything above, but in backwards order (fix the cover and gently press it around USB regions, screw it).
you may check in BIOS if it's everything ok.

buy similar memory with the one you own already, as speed and CAS. buying a faster one, all will work as the weakest/lowest one.

dREAMZ wrote:
I added in week-end a single one 8GB: shutdown (not sleep!), detach power cable, unscrew all the screws - including the one in the middle of the cover, protected by a poor glued rubber , carefully take off the cover (pay attention on USB region, you may use a plastic knife or a credit card to detach those small plastic ends), insert the memory in its slot and carefully press down until it clicks.
re-done everything above, but in backwards order (fix the cover and gently press it around USB regions, screw it).
you may check in BIOS if it's everything ok.

buy similar memory with the one you own already, as speed and CAS. buying a faster one, all will work as the weakest/lowest one.

Thanks a lot 😉
Yes i went for a crucial 2400 Mhz at CL 17 which matches the current RAM. I figured there was not point in trying to get something better since it would indeed go to the weaker elements.

Interesting i do not have one in the middle of the cover (the screw).

now i see in picture that 502/702 doesn't have it, compared with 553vd...then you have a less screw 🙂