Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Maximus X Hero (WiFi) SLI Issues

    Good morning,

    It seems there is an issue with power regulation on the Maximus X Hero Wifi boards when running graphics cards in SLI. I have 2x 1080Tis and when playing a game like The Witcher 3 or running a stress test in Furmark, my computer will shut down and restart after a short period of time. Adjusting the GPU power limit in MSI Afterburner higher makes the crashes come faster (although it has crashed even with a limit as low as 85%).

    So far, I have tried 3 different high end (Seasonic Titanium and Corsair Platinum) PSUs ranging from 850-1000 watts. I have swapped out the motherboard with another Maximus X Hero WiFi, I have tried 3 different HB SLI bridges, and I have tried 4 different RAM sticks at stock clocks and at their 3733mhz XMP profile. If I run the cards individually at 120% power limit (I tested each card individually and in each PCIE slot), the system is stable.

    I am hoping someone from ASUS could test this on their end with 1080tis and see what is causing this issue.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Reputation
    161
    Posts
    7,454


  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)
    Korth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Reputation
    152
    Posts
    2,719

    1000W PSU should suffice for a 95W CPU and two 250W GPUs at peak demand, unless you're running a small mountain of USB devices and HDDs.

    The basic SLI bridge provided with the motherboard should "always" work.

    I think your crashes under load are far more likely caused by misconfigured CPU or DDR4 overclock than by bad PSU or bad GPU hardwares.

    DDR4-3733 is a marketing spec, not a technical one. Anything faster than JEDEC-2666 is an overclock. And requires a strong CPU part to run at the higher extreme.

    Clear CMOS, reset system to stock clocks (boring CPU spec and boring JEDEC SPD profile). Try stress runs again at rated spec, nothing overspec.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

    [/Korth]

  4. #4
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    1000W PSU should suffice for a 95W CPU and two 250W GPUs at peak demand, unless you're running a small mountain of USB devices and HDDs.

    The basic SLI bridge provided with the motherboard should "always" work.

    I think your crashes under load are far more likely caused by misconfigured CPU or DDR4 overclock than by bad PSU or bad GPU hardwares.

    DDR4-3733 is a marketing spec, not a technical one. Anything faster than JEDEC-2666 is an overclock. And requires a strong CPU part to run at the higher extreme.

    Clear CMOS, reset system to stock clocks (boring CPU spec and boring JEDEC SPD profile). Try stress runs again at rated spec, nothing overspec.
    I have already cleared CMOS and tried the ram at stock speeds (the 2400 or 2133 whatever the 8700k supports) and the issues persists. I will try the bios Raja suggested and report back.

  5. #5
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Hi Raja,

    The problem is still present on 0601. I have also tried the GPUs on a Maximus VIII Gene motherboard and they work fine. So, I am fairly certain the problem needs a bios update for the M10H. Any other ideas?
    Last edited by mzimm88; 10-19-2017 at 01:01 AM.

  6. #6
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    A friend is using SLI 1080tis on his Gigabyte Aorus 7 board and does not have the crashing issue. I really hope Asus is taking this seriously.

  7. #7
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Reputation
    161
    Posts
    7,454

    Quote Originally Posted by mzimm88 View Post
    Hi Raja,

    The problem is still present on 0601. I have also tried the GPUs on a Maximus VIII Gene motherboard and they work fine. So, I am fairly certain the problem needs a bios update for the M10H. Any other ideas?

    No other UEFI builds. Sounds odd to me. Either OCP is tripping for some reason, or the system isn't stable.

  8. #8
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    No other UEFI builds. Sounds odd to me. Either OCP is tripping for some reason, or the system isn't stable.
    I have switched the motherboard for another M10H, tried three different PSUs, tried 8 different RAM sticks, and even went out and got two different 1080tis and the issue is still there. Can you please have your R&D people look into this?

  9. #9
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Reputation
    161
    Posts
    7,454

    Quote Originally Posted by mzimm88 View Post
    I have switched the motherboard for another M10H, tried three different PSUs, tried 8 different RAM sticks, and even went out and got two different 1080tis and the issue is still there. Can you please have your R&D people look into this?
    The board does not actively supply power to the graphics cards (passive power via the ATX power connector only), so something doesn't add up here. Can the system pass CPU and memory stress tests? If so, take the board out of the case and set it up on a non-conductive surface with bare minimum components and report back. Make sure everything is at defaults. If you still get issues, provide a full list of all components plugged into the board.

  10. #10
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    The board does not actively supply power to the graphics cards (passive power via the ATX power connector only), so something doesn't add up here. Can the system pass CPU and memory stress tests? If so, take the board out of the case and set it up on a non-conductive surface with bare minimum components and report back. Make sure everything is at defaults. If you still get issues, provide a full list of all components plugged into the board.
    Hi Raja,

    I tried what you suggested last night and the issue is still there. Here is the exact hardware:

    Maximus X Hero WiFi
    i7-8700K
    Noctua NH-D15
    Samsung 960 PRO 1TB
    32GB Corsair LPX 3733mhz RAM (tried at stock clocks and at the 3733 XMP)
    2x EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite (issue also present when using 2x EVGA 1080Ti SC Black Edition)
    Seasonic SSR-1000TD PSU
    Asus HB SLI Bridge (I have tried 3 different HB SLI Bridges (1 from Asus, Nvidia, and Gigabyte)
    Last edited by mzimm88; 10-22-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •