cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero (WiFi) SLI Issues

mzimm88
Level 7
Good morning,

It seems there is an issue with power regulation on the Maximus X Hero Wifi boards when running graphics cards in SLI. I have 2x 1080Tis and when playing a game like The Witcher 3 or running a stress test in Furmark, my computer will shut down and restart after a short period of time. Adjusting the GPU power limit in MSI Afterburner higher makes the crashes come faster (although it has crashed even with a limit as low as 85%).

So far, I have tried 3 different high end (Seasonic Titanium and Corsair Platinum) PSUs ranging from 850-1000 watts. I have swapped out the motherboard with another Maximus X Hero WiFi, I have tried 3 different HB SLI bridges, and I have tried 4 different RAM sticks at stock clocks and at their 3733mhz XMP profile. If I run the cards individually at 120% power limit (I tested each card individually and in each PCIE slot), the system is stable.

I am hoping someone from ASUS could test this on their end with 1080tis and see what is causing this issue.

Thank you.
14 REPLIES 14

Raja
Level 13

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Try UEFI build 0601.

Hi Raja,

The problem is still present on 0601. I have also tried the GPUs on a Maximus VIII Gene motherboard and they work fine. So, I am fairly certain the problem needs a bios update for the M10H. Any other ideas?

A friend is using SLI 1080tis on his Gigabyte Aorus 7 board and does not have the crashing issue. I really hope Asus is taking this seriously.

mzimm88 wrote:
Hi Raja,

The problem is still present on 0601. I have also tried the GPUs on a Maximus VIII Gene motherboard and they work fine. So, I am fairly certain the problem needs a bios update for the M10H. Any other ideas?

No other UEFI builds. Sounds odd to me. Either OCP is tripping for some reason, or the system isn't stable.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
No other UEFI builds. Sounds odd to me. Either OCP is tripping for some reason, or the system isn't stable.

I have switched the motherboard for another M10H, tried three different PSUs, tried 8 different RAM sticks, and even went out and got two different 1080tis and the issue is still there. Can you please have your R&D people look into this?

mzimm88 wrote:
I have switched the motherboard for another M10H, tried three different PSUs, tried 8 different RAM sticks, and even went out and got two different 1080tis and the issue is still there. Can you please have your R&D people look into this?

The board does not actively supply power to the graphics cards (passive power via the ATX power connector only), so something doesn't add up here. Can the system pass CPU and memory stress tests? If so, take the board out of the case and set it up on a non-conductive surface with bare minimum components and report back. Make sure everything is at defaults. If you still get issues, provide a full list of all components plugged into the board.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The board does not actively supply power to the graphics cards (passive power via the ATX power connector only), so something doesn't add up here. Can the system pass CPU and memory stress tests? If so, take the board out of the case and set it up on a non-conductive surface with bare minimum components and report back. Make sure everything is at defaults. If you still get issues, provide a full list of all components plugged into the board.

Hi Raja,

I tried what you suggested last night and the issue is still there. Here is the exact hardware:

Maximus X Hero WiFi
i7-8700K
Noctua NH-D15
Samsung 960 PRO 1TB
32GB Corsair LPX 3733mhz RAM (tried at stock clocks and at the 3733 XMP)
2x EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite (issue also present when using 2x EVGA 1080Ti SC Black Edition)
Seasonic SSR-1000TD PSU
Asus HB SLI Bridge (I have tried 3 different HB SLI Bridges (1 from Asus, Nvidia, and Gigabyte)

Well, I went to Fry's and grabbed a Corsair AX1200i and my problems are gone. Really puzzling that three different PSUs (850 to 1000 watts) that should have no problem with my setup were just too underpowered. Under load, it never pulled more than 750 watts, but perhaps it was just too many amps coming through one of the connections that was tripping overcurrent protection.

I do have another problem though. With the new 0601 bios, my Corsair LPX 3733 32gb kit won't boot with the XMP profile enabled. They are shown as compatible in the memory QVL list, and I don't recall this happening with the 0215 bios. Any ideas?

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I thought the latest BIOS for the Maximus X Hero (WiFi) was the 0505 version, where did you find the 0601 BIOS?