cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX501 buzzing/clicking noise

ManofOneWay
Level 7
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Zephyrus GX501, and I'm noticing that under load there is an obvious buzzing/clicking sound coming from the laptop. The sound seems to increase when graphic settings are higher, and becomes significantly lower when not running anything or even during loading screens. Has anyone else noticed this?*
10 REPLIES 10

Digimutant
Level 7
ManofOneWay wrote:
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Zephyrus GX501, and I'm noticing that under load there is an obvious buzzing/clicking sound coming from the laptop. The sound seems to increase when graphic settings are higher, and becomes significantly lower when not running anything or even during loading screens. Has anyone else noticed this?*

Might be a power management thing. The only way I get rid of it on my G752VT which exhibits a similar noise is turning to Power Saver mode.

Digimutant wrote:
Might be a power management thing. The only way I get rid of it on my G752VT which exhibits a similar noise is turning to Power Saver mode.

This dosn't seem to be fixing it for me. Is anyone else with a GX501 getting similar noises?

Yes I have the same noises. They are not very loud but you can here them under load. I know this issue from other "graphics cards". For me it is "normal" but it will be hard to get complety rid of it. You can have a "silent" card but you can also have a card which makes this noises. For me this isn't a problem. I only hear it when everythin is completly silent an playing a "light" game. In Movies or Browsing I'cant here anything.

Edit: Can't here any clicking noises in my machine. Only a light electrical noise, like a capacitor.

ManofOneWay wrote:
This dosn't seem to be fixing it for me. Is anyone else with a GX501 getting similar noises?

Nope, silent as ever. Maybe the fan defective bearings?

After some research the sound appears very similar to that of coil whine.*

DJRiful wrote:
Nope, silent as ever. Maybe the fan defective bearings?

Seriously? Zero noise?

ManofOneWay wrote:
After some research the sound appears very similar to that of coil whine.*

Seriously? Zero noise?

Wind noises... but can you record it? I am not sure what click. You mean like the ballpoint pen extract in and out clicking at the end of the pen?

mhe
Level 7
I have the same buzzing noise that depends on fan RPM, it wasn't there from the start but seems like one of the fan bearings went bad quite quickly.
Would happily fix it myself if somebody told me where to get a fitting fan. Haven't done anything else to it other than replace the SSD.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100812-Zephyrus-is-making-weird-noise
This is my thread about a similar problem.
Would you say it's the same as yours? And do you know more about it yet? It really sounds like the graphics card is making all kinds of noise to me.

mhe
Level 7
Mine is definitively fan RPM dependent, I verified that. Currently travelling, but as soon as I get home, I'll have to fix this. This is really getting out of hand, a -100mV undervolt made it a bit quieter als the lowered temps reduce fan RPM but it is still there and annoys the hell out of me. This is not what I paid 3 bloody big ones for. In that price category I expect actually good components.