cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max CPU speed lower then Base speed at full load on windows Tank Manager ... any FIX

Chudik
Level 7
Hey guys , need some help ...
I have Crosshair VI Hero with 1701 Current installed ( used other bios before with same results)
1800X OC with P .state to 4.0 Ghz
G.skill 32 GB ram 2 plates 14.14.14.34 at 2900 speed .

The problem is when i'm running CPU at full Speed "stress test" Tank manager onley shoing my speed at 3.96 Ghz but Base speed displayed as 4.00 Ghz

Idle

But any other application" CPU-Z " will show max speed at 100% load as 3990.48 Mhz ( 4.0)

Idle

Full speed
And Cinebench R15 will show really good # "1762" ... so this is windows problem , or i mestup in Bios or other location ?
I know this is only informational but this is triggering me hard lol please help !!!!
Thank you
Chudik

P.S this is my BIOS

10 REPLIES 10

Korth
Level 14
BCLK is rarely exactly 100.0MHz, it's typically something like 99.8MHz to 99.9MHz.
Multiply x40 and "4.0GHz" is really something like 3.992GHz to 3.996GHz.

It's only a ~0.2% variance, within part tolerances and completely unnoticeable outside benchmarks. It's "normal" and very common.
It's probably caused by oscillator drift (± few hundred KHz across volts, temps, age, etc) and/or caused by timing logic components somehow compensating for varying loads across the bus. Extreme precision reference oscillators (and extreme precision reference voltage sources to run them accurately) do exist but they are very expensive parts.

You may have BIOS options to disable Spread Spectrum, disable Phase Control, or enable/disable SVID.
You may have BIOS option to manually set BCLK to 100.0, although you may need to set something like 100.2 or 101 or 105 to keep stable 100MHz (and you may cause system instability or break an overclock by doing so).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Thank you for the information , i will try to mod this. But at the end is OC with P state bather then conventional OC with CPU Core ratio?

Korth
Level 14
I don't know P State overclocking, I know oscillators, lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Chudik wrote:
Thank you for the information , i will try to mod this. But at the end is OC with P state bather then conventional OC with CPU Core ratio?

Korth wrote:
I don't know P State overclocking, I know oscillators, lol.

Not really TBH. I have p-state setup as I was curious and didn't want the CPU idling at 4GHz, 1.42v all day everyday, but it makes almost 0 difference to power consumption. If you have it setup, leave use it, but I wouldn't waste your time setting it up, unless your curious.

Heres a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzxn1hS7Nq4

It only talks about power consumption, so I doubt it is the whole story, as I presume there is a CPU takes time to boost aspect as well, but have never looked into it. My system feels pretty snappy and responsive, so I'm happy.

As for the BCLK issue, I just override mine to 100MHz, although with multiplier 40 (A0 p-state FID) I get 3.997GHz under load, as the BCLK dips to 99.9-99.7MHz. Its really a non-issue.

unknownmiscreant wrote:
Not really TBH. I have p-state setup as I was curious and didn't want the CPU idling at 4GHz, 1.42v all day everyday, but it makes almost 0 difference to power consumption. If you have it setup, leave use it, but I wouldn't waste your time setting it up, unless your curious.

Heres a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzxn1hS7Nq4

It only talks about power consumption, so I doubt it is the whole story, as I presume there is a CPU takes time to boost aspect as well, but have never looked into it. My system feels pretty snappy and responsive, so I'm happy.

As for the BCLK issue, I just override mine to 100MHz, although with multiplier 40 (A0 p-state FID) I get 3.997GHz under load, as the BCLK dips to 99.9-99.7MHz. Its really a non-issue.

Yes i so that Video , i'm not really worry about power but more for cooling , and i have 2 different configs saved on Bios one for 4.00GHz with P state , that i'm using and i links pix and its super stable , and one config with CPU core ration OC and BCLK... and its stable to. performance seems to be the same.
I'm sorry about thous stupid questions i'm new to all OC and AMD etc...

So i change the OC to core ration OC and BCLK..." and now i'm getting same stooped info from Task Manager .. my OCD is Kiling me now haha

Idle

100% load

I'm losing it

Chudik wrote:
Yes i so that Video , i'm not really worry about power but more for cooling , and i have 2 different configs saved on Bios one for 4.00GHz with P state , that i'm using and i links pix and its super stable , and one config with CPU core ration OC and BCLK... and its stable to. performance seems to be the same.
I'm sorry about thous stupid questions i'm new to all OC and AMD etc...

So i change the OC to core ration OC and BCLK..." and now i'm getting same stooped info from Task Manager .. my OCD is Kiling me now haha

[Removed pictures]

I'm losing it

Not sure whats going on there. I would probably recommend you go with BCLK auto or 100, whichever least triggers your OCD and p-state.

In terms of cooling, the power that goes into the processor has to go out. Under load both overclocks draw the same amount of power, as I presume they are the same voltage. This means both will have the same heat output and require the same cooling.

Your probably never going to get the CPU frequency to a round number, simply due to the lack of oscillator precision as @Korth has already said.

Got it !!!!
Thank you Guys for a great help!
I will stay with P State for now and use bather tools then windows taks manager haha 🙂

Chudik wrote:
Got it !!!!
Thank you Guys for a great help!
I will stay with P State for now and use bather tools then windows taks manager haha 🙂

Cool. I do sometimes question the existence of task manager. Its pretty useless. I have had it report 4GHz current speed on an OC'ed ryzen 3, while ryzen master, CPU-Z and AI suite all report 1.5GHz.

Judging by the GPU showing in Task Manager I assume you installed the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update?
Since installing it myself I've noticed that task manager will never quite show the right clock speed. In the past using P-State OCs would make the absolute maximum be a little below the base speed, like an overclock of 3.9ghz would typically show up as 3.90ghz in the BIOS and as the Base speed on the CPU tab of task manager but the speed would usually sit on about 3.84ish under speed (despite HWinfo64 and CPU-Z reporting a solid 3.90ghz under load). Just setting an overclock to 3.90ghz in the BIOS without adjusting P-States would result in both the base speed and actual speed in task manager matching (so 3.90ghz would equal 3.90ghz).

However since installing the Fall Creators Update this is no longer the case. My 3.90ghz overclock will fluctuate between 3.83 and 3.85 in task manager despite staying a flat 3.90ghz in all other utilities.

My guess would be the Fall Creators Update somehow adjusted how task manager reports CPU speed.