cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PUBG pushes my laptop's fan?

Helmet_Unbuckle
Level 7
Good morning everyone,

Owning a G551J laptop that has been with me 2 years, I've had no problems playing a wide variety of games. I've never had a game that I've had a problem with playing in because of jitters or lags or where my laptop gets hot.

Not until I started playing Players Unknown Battleground at least. I don't know why even if I play it on low and I end process the things I don't need, for some reason that game pushes my laptop that the part where the fan releases air gets really really hot.

Is it because for 2 years I have not cleaned my fan? but then again I didn't find it logical as I've played other games that I thought would do the same on my laptop but it never happened. With PUBG it does and sometimes the game starts to slow down a bit.

Any suggestions / help would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks in advance 🙂
3 REPLIES 3

Korth
Level 14
The G551J specs are HM86 chipset, i5-4200H or i7-4720HQ, Intel HD 4600 or 2GB GTX960M or 4GB GTX960M, 8GB DDR3L-1333 to 16GB DDR3L-1600.

A low-end G551J variant meets Unreal Engine 4's marginally demanding minimum system requirements, although cutting it close. A mid-end or high-end G551J variant can run UE4 better, at least on external power, but it would be tasked heavy and it would run hot.

PUBG is a notoriously messy kludge. Still a "work in progress" under dev. It uses a lot of UE4 features and loads a lot of texture data into RAM and VRAM. It also generally makes poor use of multithreading and GPU scaling, it consistently loads almost all the work onto one CPU core and one GPU card, it can run a processor very hot if rendered on iGPU.
Apparently things keep on improving, gradually, as the code gets ongoing refinements and regular patches.

Yeah, maybe clean your fan with a vacuum and compressed-air blowout (but don't spin up the fans with sustained air blasts because the high rpms can quickly de-lube and wear the bearings).
Some people might advise a repaste but I wouldn't unless it's clearly necessary because temps are clearly skyrocketing up towards thermal shutdown.
It's an older laptop now, older parts tend to run a little warmer. And the battery probably puts out a lot of heat now, especially if charging and discharging simultaneously.
A laptop cooling pad can help.
Maybe halt/suspend/remove background processes which aren't needed or used while playing the game to free up maximum possible hardware resources.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
The G551J specs are HM86 chipset, i5-4200H or i7-4720HQ, Intel HD 4600 or 2GB GTX960M or 4GB GTX960M, 8GB DDR3L-1333 to 16GB DDR3L-1600.

A low-end G551J variant meets Unreal Engine 4's marginally demanding minimum system requirements, although cutting it close. A mid-end or high-end G551J variant can run UE4 better, at least on external power, but it would be tasked heavy and it would run hot.

PUBG is a notoriously messy kludge. Still a "work in progress" under dev. It uses a lot of UE4 features and loads a lot of texture data into RAM and VRAM. It also generally makes poor use of multithreading and GPU scaling, it consistently loads almost all the work onto one CPU core and one GPU card, it can run a processor very hot if rendered on iGPU.
Apparently things keep on improving, gradually, as the code gets ongoing refinements and regular patches.

Yeah, maybe clean your fan with a vacuum and compressed-air blowout (but don't spin up the fans with sustained air blasts because the high rpms can quickly de-lube and wear the bearings).
Some people might advise a repaste but I wouldn't unless it's clearly necessary because temps are clearly skyrocketing up towards thermal shutdown.
It's an older laptop now, older parts tend to run a little warmer. And the battery probably puts out a lot of heat now, especially if charging and discharging simultaneously.
A laptop cooling pad can help.
Maybe halt/suspend/remove background processes which aren't needed or used while playing the game to free up maximum possible hardware resources.

Thanks for the reply.

So in short my laptop isn't as up-to-par as newer laptops these days and it's not compatible for the current state of PUBG am I right?

In addition, is it easy to dismantle a ROG laptop and clean the fan?

Because I've never dismantled a laptop to clean it's fan, this would be the first and there's not much videos that shows how to do it online.

Will consider getting a cooling pad.

Korth
Level 14
Yeah, in short your once high-end laptop is now a mid-end laptop and PUBG is still a bit of a buggy mess which can use all the power you can give it.

There's lots of takeapart guides and videos for your laptop. Not all in English, but that's what google translate and Youtube subtitles are for, and you can usually figure things out visually from the videos/photos anyhow. There's also lots of guides showing how to takeapart and clean the fans themselves, but it's not necessary to do so unless they're so grungy they can hardly spin, and it's harder to obtain compatible replacement fans/parts for laptops than the standardized fans common to desktops, so you don't want to risk breaking them.

You don't need to strip down the machine completely. Only enough of it to get clear access to both sides of the fan(s) you want to clean. You can unplug the fans to extract them if needed. It might be a good idea to clean (carefully wipe, vacuum, or blow out) any other dust you see while the machine is open. Disconnect all power and battery first. Use a slightly damp lint-free cloth or q-tips to clean things, mild dish soap is okay but should be wiped/rinsed off so there's no conductive residue. Vacuum cleaners are safe enough, if you don't suck up any little screws or parts, though keep one hand solidly on the end of the suction hose and the other on the computer's metal chassis parts at all times to help minimize ESD buildup. Compressed air should be short directed bursts from a few inches away, with the can held vertically and top-up, without allowing the air blasts to spin fan rotors at high speeds (which are often faster than normal maximum fan speeds and can damage the fan motor or bearings).

Use notes, diagrams, or photos to help you put the thing back together in reverse order, you won't remember them all exactly after a few dozen different steps. I usually use numbered part containers, something like an egg carton would work fine. Don't force anything you can't lift off with your pinky, if it's "stuck" then there's probably another screw hidden somewhere (under a label or something) still holding it on. Think of it as a puzzle, there was a way to put it together and there's a way to take it apart.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]