cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

build quality Asus factory GTX 1070 vs Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition

gozorakgogo
Level 7
So I finally swapped the original broken GtX 1070 that came installed in my G20 CB with the Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition. THe original failed. Im not enough of an expert..in fact I have very little knowledge on such things but the difference in build quality is easily apparent. The factory 1070 was housed in plastic and looks and feels not very substantial. The Nvidia Founders Edition by contrast appears to be very sturdy, well assembled, substantial. Would the flimsy build of the original factory 1070 have contributed to its failure? Im guessing overheated/fried? I had been playing Prey in 4k as well as using my oculus rift in the week that led to the failure. It doesnt seem to me that such use should have caused a malfunction. Thats what these cards are supposed to be able to handle right? Anyway I hope the Nvidia Founders will be able to handle whatever load i put it under in the future
3 REPLIES 3

kdash106
Level 7
the cooling in these machine aren't that good, with fan on auto playing PUBG i was hitting 84C. I turn the fan onto 80% percent and it cooled my GPU to 44c flat. could it be cause your GPU is overheating? Let me know if the FE works better in these machines or not.*

PS i went thought 2 1070 cards with asus... if i send it back again i am looking for a refund or replacement. *

Menthol
Level 14
No I do not think so, the ASUS has a less expensive fan housing as other manufacturers also do, plastic instead of alloy but the board itself is identical or close to it. Even over heating usually doesn't damage them as the cards are designed with safeguards for over current, over voltage, over heating, they will automatically lower clock rates and voltages and increase fan speeds.
Probably just a random failure, it happens

gozorakgogo
Level 7
As unfortunate and expensive as the failed oem 1070 was I am hoping it was a random failure. I had been playing Prey on the original with maxed out graphics and I could hear the GPU fan working extra hard to deal with the load and then the failure. No such issues with the replacement Founders Edition. But then again I no longer push it with gaming other than the occasional VR experiences. For me its back to console, Xbox One X, for 4k gaming lol