cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Cooling for Older Rigs

Seda
Level 8
Hi,

I have a bit of an unusual project and I'm looking for some advice before I start diving into it. I was scheduled to replace my primary and support workstation by 2020 but it looks like I'm going to need my current ones to last quite a while longer. These are older systems and they unfortunately cannot be replaced by anything on the market today due to issues that are probably outside the scope of a hardware thread.

This is the current primary system (in a Thermaltake Chaser MK-I case) (prepare to laugh, she's an oldie):

CPU : AMD FX-9590
Memory : 32 GB (4x Corsair 8GB Vengeance Modules) DDR3-1600
Board : ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
Video : 2x ASUS-Branded AMD Radeon 7850 TOP PCIe
Audio : Creative X-Fi Titanium HD PCIe
WiFi : ASUS PCE-AC68 PCIe
Storage : 1x AMD-Branded Radeon R7 120 GB SSD & 4x WDC VelociRaptor 500 GB Mechanical & 1x WDC Black 1TB Mechanical
PSU : Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W

The second system is similar, but it uses 2x Radeon 7790, an FX-8350, a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and a Thermaltake 875w PSU - and it is in a Thermaltake Overseer RX-I case.

If you've gotten this far, you will notice these systems are ancient in computing terms; the technology is primarily 2012-era. However, I need it and I need it to keep working. They're rock-solid stable at present, and haven't given any thermal issues - but Australian summers can be brutal and I need them to last as long as possible. Currently, cooling is provided by (aside from the stock case fans) a Corsair Hydro H60 per system.

I would like to install a cooling solution that provides something better for the CPU, and something for the RAM, Video cards, and the motherboard. The hottest component of both systems at present appears to be the motherboard circuitry located to the left of the processor (near the back I/O panel). This certainly gets much hotter on the Crosshair than it does the Sabertooth, but both are a concern. I have not performed much liquid cooling before - only all in one units - so in addition to wanting to do something to older workstations, I'm potentially entering new territory.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. What type of stuff should I buy? Should I replace the cases? Would full liquid cooling be ideal, or would an improved AIO cooler and a new case be sufficient?

Apologies if this is in the wrong sub forum or if this question is so weird it doesn't belong in any forum. I don't really know where else to get this kind of advice. I'm used to building computers to last, but these workstations get thrashed on a daily basis - I'm worried about them long-term.

Note; if it's relevant, I'm running Debian GNU/Linux, so software-controlled or driven cooling devices are probably not ideal.
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hi Seda

So you want to liquid cool two older pc's ? Since you have all in one liquid cpu coolers, I don't know if I'd do it as it can get expensive but.....

If your heart is set on it here is an easy option to liquid cool two pc's.

I'm using the Koolance ERM-2K3U, there are two newer versions, the ERM-3K3UC and ERM-3K3UA. What makes it nice with this is you just install the waterblocks, fittings and tubing. No reservoir, pump or rads to mount inside the case.

You'll likely need to get universal gpu waterblocks, finding full cover blocks may be a chore. You may be able to find some on Ebay but most will be used and I'm not sure of the price, same with the motherboard waterblocks.

Universal gpu blocks, you can use their cooling configurator to make sure which ones are compatible - https://www.ekwb.com/shop/water-blocks/vga-blocks/universal-vga-waterblocks.

CPU waterblocks - https://www.ekwb.com/shop/water-blocks/cpu-blocks

For the ram blocks you'll have to remove the heat spreaders and use the monarch modules.

Ram blocks - EK Monarch x2 - x4 https://www.ekwb.com/shop/water-blocks/ram-blocks
Monarch modules - https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-ram-monarch-module-black-2pcs

Then you'll need to consider the size of the tubing and type of fittings or barbs, 3/8 x 5/8 tubing works well with the Armor+.

Koolance tubing - http://koolance.com/tubing-clear-uv-reactive-pvc-10mm-x-16mm-3-8in-x-5-8in
3/8 x 5/8 barbs or fittings of your choice.

Koolance coolant - http://koolance.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=58_58

Koolance ERM-3K3UC copper rad (2400w heat dissipation)- http://koolance.com/erm-3k3uc-liquid-cooling-system-copper
Koolance ERM-3K3UA Aluminum rad is cheaper and dissipates 300w more (2700w heat dissipation) - http://koolance.com/erm-3k3ua-liquid-cooling-system-aluminum

PC number 2 will probably run 3c- 5c warmer as you'll have them in series.

The ERM-2K3U has an aluminum rad and is rated up to 2000w of heat dissipation.

I'm not sure if the Overseer RX-1 has holes for tubing like the armor+ but if it doesn't you could drill two 7/8 inch holes and add two rubber grommets.

https://www.amazon.com/I-D-Grooved-Rubber-Grommet-Hole/dp/B00DYUOHI4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=15086012...

haihane
Level 13
can we have a picture of what your current system cooling looks like?
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

I just wrote a huge post, hit 'submit reply' and the forums threw an 'access denied' ... 😧

I'll re-write the reply post when my brain works a bit better (it's currently 3:51am in Sydney). However, I will say thanks for replying - I'm going to look into all that stuff whenever I wake up today.

Here's some photos as requested. If you see anything obvious or anything I could do better, please throw it at me. I know my cabling could improve, or at least it feels like my system build is a spaghetti monster compared to others...

These photos are of system one. As a correction to my original post, it's actually in a Chaser MK-I (I hadn't physically seen this thing in a while since it's been behind a desk for almost its entire four year + life. I'm not opposed to buying a new case, if that is required for optimal lifespan.

The fans in this case are stock. As the case shipped with only one fan on the top, I added a second one when it was initially built. All of the case fans (including my addition) are TT-2030.

The Corsair Hydro H60 shipped with one fan; I added a second. They are set as an intake.

Another one of the TT-2030 that shipped with the case. The drives are arranged so that the Black is at the bottom, the Raptors are in the middle, and the SSD is on the top.

Expansion cards. Video, WiFi, Audio, Video. All just as they were when bought.

Apologies if that's too many images/post flood. I'm trying to include anything that could matter.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

If you see anything I've done that's really stupid in this build, that'd be helpful to point out too. I'm aware my cable management skills are lacking, but as it's now 4:01am I'm passing out. Back in a few hours ... lol

Nate152
Thanks for the pics, the more the better.

I guess I should have mentioned, to do what I posted the pc's will have to be in the same room, if they're in separate rooms, I don't think you want 50 ft. of tubing through your house.

In all honesty I'd keep what you have, if motherboard temps are a problem you can always take the side cover off and have a floor fan blowing in on it. In my opinion it's too much money to invest in older hardware, you could all but build a new machine for what it's going to cost.

All right, good night and sleep on it. 🙂

Nate152 wrote:
I guess I should have mentioned, to do what I posted the pc's will have to be in the same room, if they're in separate rooms, I don't think you want 50 ft. of tubing through your house.

Probably not! These two computers are in the same room though! 🙂

Nate152 wrote:
In all honesty I'd keep what you have, if motherboard temps are a problem you can always take the side cover off and have a floor fan blowing in on it.

If the system is at 4700mhz or higher for over a few hours, temperatures on the left side of the board seem pretty savage but like I've said, this thing hasn't crashed, so I'm not sure but I've been concerned. I guess I could probably stick a fan behind the desk, that seems such an obvious solution I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't think of it...

Nate152 wrote:
In my opinion it's too much money to invest in older hardware, you could all but build a new machine for what it's going to cost.

It's a bit of a long story, but any processor made after 2012 in the x86 space lacks certification for operation on the network I'm connected to. The last are the AMD FX-9590 and the 2008-era Intel offerings. Replacements for these workstations are likely to be an alternative architecture, such as ARM or PPC. The good news is I won't have to pay for that. The bad news is I have to wait a few years. Currently, if this FX rig breaks, I'm going back to a Phenom II 1055T on a Crosshair II Formula. Retro much? 😛

I shall deploy the cheap floor fan option for now, but on that site you linked me I found this:
http://koolance.com/ex2-1055-exos-2.5-liquid-cooling-system-aluminum

And that looks pretty awesome. I think I'll watch temperatures over this December, and if things get brutal (thats the hottest time of year in Adelaide, and that's where these machines will be running during that period - I'm in Sydney now, Adelaide soon,,, who knows where later...), I'll probably pick that up and the other stuff you linked me.

I didn't even know external cooling units like that existed prior to your post! I guess I should probably do some research other than simply browsing what's available on our primary retailers here, heh.

Really can't thank you enough for the tips/links!

Nate152
Yeah see how temps are with a floor fan, it should help a good bit if the motherboard is getting hot.

For the EX2-1055 you'd need one for each pc, it looks like it would mount on top of the case somehow.

How are cpu and gpu temps as it is now ?

Nate152 wrote:
Yeah see how temps are with a floor fan, it should help a good bit if the motherboard is getting hot.

For the EX2-1055 you'd need one for each pc, it looks like it would mount on top of the case somehow.

How are cpu and gpu temps as it is now ?

Temperatures as reported by the OS place the CPU between 14C and 42C depending on load and power level. The max I've ever seen the processor hit is 58C.
Temperatures for the motherboard range between 40-60C.
Temperatures for the graphics cards range between 34C and 62C depending on system load. The second graphics card is usually a few degrees hotter.

If I restart into the UEFI, the temperatures reported by the UEFI are usually a few degrees higher (for the CPU) and usually a few degrees lower (for the MB), but I'm unaware of whether the UEFI runs the CPU at full throttle or at a low power setting.

I should specify that's the reported temperature for whatever part of the motherboard the computer can pick the sensor up from. The left side of the board absolutely radiates heat when it's been under full load for a while ; you can feel it like an oven blasting air out of the top, so I have reason to distrust the sensor readings.

Nate152
Hmmmm, temps look pretty good and aren't in the danger zone but if it's feeling like an oven, I'd be getting a fan on it. 🙂

Placing a desk fan next to the PC cut temps by 5-10c across the board.

I've since made a hole in the case and stuck a Corsair AF120 as an outtake, and that further improved temperatures (I tested it as another intake first but that actually raised temperatures, probably interfering with airflow from the other fans I suppose).

The system is no longer capable of frying eggs.

I can't believe the solution was so simple, lol. Thanks 😄