Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Junior Member Array

GameFirst IV - Flagged as malware by McAfee

I acquired a brand new ROG GL502VT recently and absolutely love it. It came with a free McAfee Antivirus Subscription, the store requires it for warranty purposes.

Everything was great until McAfee did its first scan. It immediately quarrantined two files, c:\Program Files (x86)\Asus\Game First IV\nfapi.dll and nfapinet.dll. I re-downloaded the GameFirst IV software from Asus, and reinstalled it. Two days later, McAfee again flagged the same two files as malware.

I have been in touch with McAfee Support, and even got through to one of their software engineers, who checked the files for me and confirmed that its not a false positive, it is a true positive, and McAfee are classifying them as malware.

I am wondering what the next appropriate step to resolve this issue will be, and if I actually need GameFirst IV installed in the first place. I can't seem to find a lot of information about it.

Many Thanks

ROG Member Array MassNerd PC Specs
    MassNerd PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell 7000 2-in-1
    MotherboardAsus Z270F RoG Strix
    ProcessorIntel i7 7700K
    Graphics Card #1Asus RX480 Strix
    MonitorDell 27" 1080p
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseFractal Define R5
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 750W
    Mouse Razer Death Adder

Quote Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
    I acquired a brand new ROG GL502VT recently and absolutely love it. It came with a free McAfee Antivirus Subscription, the store requires it for warranty purposes.

Everything was great until McAfee did its first scan. It immediately quarrantined two files, c:\Program Files (x86)\Asus\Game First IV\nfapi.dll and nfapinet.dll. I re-downloaded the GameFirst IV software from Asus, and reinstalled it. Two days later, McAfee again flagged the same two files as malware.

I have been in touch with McAfee Support, and even got through to one of their software engineers, who checked the files for me and confirmed that its not a false positive, it is a true positive, and McAfee are classifying them as malware.

I am wondering what the next appropriate step to resolve this issue will be, and if I actually need GameFirst IV installed in the first place. I can't seem to find a lot of information about it.

Many Thanks

Hey Asus,
    You need to address this one. I'm getting the same warning, but on a ROG Strix Z270 motherboard with a RX480 Strix GPU and the drivers installed from your website.

Ex-employee Array

I can tell you it's definitely a false positive, why their rep said it's a true positive is a big question mark as we don't put malware in our software. Unfortunately the antivirus software needs to be willing to update their database to allow this file to be recognized as secure. Almost all antivirus software update this once a month based on the reports from users and their own verification. You will experience the same issues with many other antivirus programs and unfortunately the only thing you can do is report it as a false positive and hope that it gets added to their secure list. If it doesn't and you wish to use this software then please uninstall the antivirus and try a different antivirus program.

I will send this over to our software team and I can tell you they will probably say the same thing. It's not the first time an antivirus software has flagged our software with true positive but in the end they admit they were wrong privately but not to the public.

Ex-employee Array

I contacted our software team and they confirmed that they need to submit update all updates to McAfee every time and appears the last update wasn't submitted. This issue should be resolved within 2-3 weeks.

New ROGer Array PMaqueo PC Specs
    PMaqueo PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ROG Strix GL553VD
    MotherboardRampage V Edition 10

Still unresolved. McAfee deleted the dll in my laptop. I contacted them and they suggested me to send it to McAfee labs. They maintain that the file is a virus. By the way, gmail detects it as a virus as well.

New ROGer Array

The same problem

Hi,

In my G752VS occurs the same: McAfee show NFAPI.DLL like a virus or trojan

Ex-employee Array

I will check with our team again, they said they already contacted McAfee to resolve this. I will update again as soon as possible.

Ex-employee Array

Can everyone experiencing this issue please share your software version? This is required by our software team.

Ex-employee Array

I received update that only motherboard version is reported to McAfee so it's fixed for MB users but NB version is different team, I will get a hold of the team responsible for NB software and have them do the same.

New ROGer Array

So we can go with this being safe?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast