cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer resets when I plug in a monitor via HDMI

THX1139
Level 7
The monitor is VGA and is attached to a VGA to HDMI adapter. When I plug it into the HDMI port of the motherboard whilst the computer is running, the system resets. This has happened at least three times so I'm certain it's reproducible.

I also have monitors connected to the motherboard's DVI-D and VGA connectors and I have a discrete graphics card which is connected to a monitor via it's DVI-D port.
3 REPLIES 3

Tygerion
Level 7
THX1139 wrote:
The monitor is VGA and is attached to a VGA to HDMI adapter. When I plug it into the HDMI port of the motherboard whilst the computer is running, the system resets.

What steps have you taken to narrow down the cause or eliminate possible causes?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Firstly is there a point to unplugging and plugging in monitors while the system is up?

Its always been rule of thumb to power down before connecting or disconnecting cables. just because some thing wont do it doesnt mean exceptions should be made.

Also time to update monitors.......Im surprised you could even still find an HDMI to VGA adaptor.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein