Parts

Threadripper 1950X
Asus Rog Strix X399 E Gaming Board
Asus Rog Strix 1080ti
Corsair Hydro H100iv2
EVGA Supernova 850 G3
GSKILL Trident RGB 2x8gb 3000mhz F4-3000C16D-16GTZR
Corsair Air 540

Hi I am having issues getting this build to post. After the build, I set the RAM into the Asus recommended configuration. When I pressed the power button, the computer would set into a boot loop. I would not get anything on the monitor, it would just start and shut down one second later and repeat until I powered down the power supply. The code displayed was d0 and then 8 when it shut off. I took out the cpu and checked for bent pins and re seated it. Everything looks fine there.

Next I took out the ram and began taking one stick across the dimm slots. Two slots on the right side of the board allowed the computer to power up, but would not post, and displayed d5 on the code display. I have googled this many times and cannot come up with an answer to what might be the issue. I suspected it could be the RAM because the cpu light displays yellow when powering up on the board, which according to the manual it suspects the RAM. I have ordered a new set of RAM. Its the same brand, but different speed and is a recommended set according to the QVL to work with Threadripper.

When I remove the RAM completely, the computer will boot as well, and displays OC on the code display.

Unfortunately this board is so new that there is no info I can find about it anywhere. Like at all. This is why I am posting in the Zenith section. I will receive the new RAM tomorrow and give it a try Sunday to see if that fixes it.

I also tried using the BIOS flashback because maybe the board had old BIOS which didn't support the Threadripper or the RAM. I could honestly not tell if it did anything or not. I put the fat32 formatted usb stick into the bios flashback slot, pushed in the button for the flashback. It blinks three times then goes solid. I then push it again and it starts to blink for a while and then goes out. I assume that this is the BIOS update completing. There is also no light on the front of the board that does anything when I do this. I noticed that some boards do have lights that flash when the Flashback is working. Also the Power On button on the board is not lit, when in the manual it says it should be lit. It does work though and will power the machine on.

Please, if you can help at all with this issue, I would really appreciate it. I want to get this build up and going so I can start to work from it. I don't want to RMA the board and wait another 2 weeks, but I might have to do that or switch to another board that has information online about it. These are things I would prefer to avoid and just have the one I have working.

Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5

Could the ram really be causing all this trouble? Can you post without ram? If so, why won't mine when it's all out?

Kitten wrote:
Could the ram really be causing all this trouble? Can you post without ram? If so, why won't mine when it's all out?

According to your first post, you tried BIOS Flashback with the supplied driver USB which contains an old UEFI version.
Please download 0801 from the pinned thread, put it on a FAT32 formatted USB stick and rename the extracted UEFI update to ZE.CAP
When that is performed, try BIOS Flashback with that file.

The UEFI supplied with my motherboard would not POST if I used the DIMM.2 riser with M.2 devices and a PCI-E graphics card, resolved in later UEFI updates.

Ljugtomten wrote:
According to your first post, you tried BIOS Flashback with the supplied driver USB which contains an old UEFI version.
Please download 0801 from the pinned thread, put it on a FAT32 formatted USB stick and rename the extracted UEFI update to ZE.CAP
When that is performed, try BIOS Flashback with that file.

The UEFI supplied with my motherboard would not POST if I used the DIMM.2 riser with M.2 devices and a PCI-E graphics card, resolved in later UEFI updates.

There was no supplied usb. I used a fat32 stick and loaded the latest bios from Asus on there and renamed it to the filename in the booklet. This isn't a zenith it's a strix x399 e, but there is no section for that board yet.

Took it all out of the case and apart and rebuilt it and now it works.