cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with G.Skill TridentZ DDR 4 32Gb 3600 Kit

Homewrecker
Level 9
I'm running the RVIE with an i9 7940X and 32Gb of G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin 3600 (PC4 28800) P/N F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR Memory.

I've updated the Bios to 0802 as well. The board Posts fine and defaults to a 2133Mhz 1.20V memory setting. With everything else left at default settings I change the Ai Overclock Tuner setting to 'XMP'. The memory specs are detected just fine - 3603 at 16-16-16-36, 1.35V.

When I save and restart, the Post hangs with the display code on the board reading "Code AF: Detect Memory". I have to clear the CMOS and it Posts just fine back into the Bios with the original default 2133Mhz 1.20V setting.

I installed all 4 modules as per the instructions in the motherboard manual (DIMM B1, A1, C1, D1 slots). With XMP enabled I manually override the frequency and can't get past 2800Mhz.

The next step up is 2933Mhz. When I try that frequency the board hangs during POST with "Code AF: Detect Memory". I have to clear the CMOS to get it to boot back to default settings.

I then tried each module individually installed in the DIMM C1 slot as per the manual. Each module behaved the same way. I could not get past 2800Mhz and each one made the Motherboard hang during POST if set to 2933Mhz or higher. The same POST code also appears - "Code AF: Detect Memory".

In the past all one would have to do is bump up the DRAM voltage slightly but from everyone that has posted on the ASUS forums they have no issue with this kit running at 1.35V.

I'm tempted to RMA this kit.
Is there another setting in the BIOS I should change to make this kit work or could this be a bad kit?

Note: This Kit is on the ASUS DRAM qualified vendor list as well.
31 REPLIES 31

smithkid
Level 7
I have the same memory. Before trying any manual OCing I ran the Dual Intelligent Processor 5 which turned on the XMP and ran a 40% OC. The memory went straight to 3200MHz.

From there I started playing.

smithkid wrote:
I have the same memory. Before trying any manual OCing I ran the Dual Intelligent Processor 5 which turned on the XMP and ran a 40% OC. The memory went straight to 3200MHz.

Rampage VI Extreme

smithkid wrote:
i have the same memory. Before trying any manual ocing i ran the dual intelligent processor 5 which turned on the xmp and ran a 40% oc. The memory went straight to 3200mhz.

From there i started playing.

re6

Homewrecker
Level 9
smithkid wrote:

I'm not even really trying to OC. I just want the memory to run at the rated speed. I'll get into OC'ing later when I can get this thing to run normally.

I seem to recall that when I first booted the board with the original 0702 BIOS I changed the AI Overclock Tuner to 'XMP' and it rebooted into the BIOS just fine with the new speed of 3603Mhz. After I updated to 0802 I think that's when I was starting to have problems I listed above.

I tried to switch to the second BIOS to see if it's still at 0702 and test it but pushing the BIOS switching button does not work. The LED for the #1 BIOS stays lit.
Could this end up being a bad board?

Homewrecker
Level 9
Ok, so I've spent more time testing and getting results that are all over the place.

I let the board boot into the standard 2133Mhz / 1.20V memory configuration. I then select 'XMP' with the memory being detected at 3600Mhz / 1.35V. The board reboots and hangs with a post code of "AF: Detect Memory". I then press the "Safe Boot" button to get back into the BIOS. I set the memory frequency back to 3600 and the board reboots with no issues. When I try to reboot the board again it hangs with a post code of "AF: Detect Memory".

I've tried this scenario multiple times with the exact same results; the Board boots successfully at 3600Mhz only once after the 'Safe Boot' method is used and hangs each time after that until I use the 'Safe Boot' method again.

I also tried increasing the VCCSA slightly but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Since I also can't seem to switch to BIOS #2 using the button on the board I'm starting to think there is something seriously wrong with this board. I've got a week left to return or exchange this thing and don't want to get stuck with $800 paper weight.

Shamino
for dram, it seems as though your memory controller is a little intolerant of uncore voltage offset which is needed for mem clocks, try manually setting uncore voltage foffset +0.37 to say +0.42 to see where your tolerance lie.

for bios switch it will NOT work the first time from total power loss meaning if you clear cmos or lose all power, the first time you will need to power on one time and shut down (doesnt matter if it fails to boot even 4 second power down will work) before the switch will switch the bioses, this is to protect the ME from cases of corruption.

Shamino wrote:
for dram, it seems as though your memory controller is a little intolerant of uncore voltage offset which is needed for mem clocks, try manually setting uncore voltage foffset +0.37 to say +0.42 to see where your tolerance lie.

for bios switch it will NOT work the first time from total power loss meaning if you clear cmos or lose all power, the first time you will need to power on one time and shut down (doesnt matter if it fails to boot even 4 second power down will work) before the switch will switch the bioses, this is to protect the ME from cases of corruption.

Well, I thought the problem was resolved but its back. After installing windows 10 and a few reboots I'm getting the same code "AF: Detect Memory". The only way it will boot now is if I leave the AI Overclock tuner to 'Auto'. Even setting it to 2133Mhz with 'XMP' enable will not work.

I tried increasing the uncore voltage slightly more to + 0.44 but no luck.

I did notice that the problem happened after I installed a sound card into the PCIEx4_1 Slot. I removed the soundcard but the problem remained. I took the video card out as well and it seemed to boot fine. Could this be a PCIE related issue?

At the default of 2133Mhw @1.20 volts it boots every time.

I'm completely lost. I have until this Sunday to return the board. Is there anything else you can suggest?

Homewrecker
Level 9
Thanks Shamino. Ill give that a try and report back.
Without an OS installed how do I power down the board? Is there another way besides shutting off the PSU?