Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Superbowl View Post
    For anyone still having problems updating to 1709 please join the conversation here :
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...130851#U130851

There is a Microsoft engineer there answering questions. He claims this problem is almost exclusive to ASUS X299 MOBs. He says they really need firmware upgrades from ASUS, but Microsoft is trying to solve the problem.

Please join here, and give Microsoft your story of the failed 1709 upgrade.
    I mentioned this, about 5 pages back, that the ASUS UEFI implementation was pretty broken, depending on what drive(s) you might have enumerated this way.

This is why I posted my "fix", of moving to a (typically singular) RAID set, installing FCU, and then moving back to NVME. This works around the UEFI problem because the drive(s) are properly abstracted (behind the RAID layer).

I mean "what the heck", we're on a 3 month old BIOS (this is NOT the ASUS I've known for 15+ years or so), on a brand new "flagship" motherboard, and they can't get someone on this, to fix the UEFI problems? Really?
    It's not like their X299 isn't prevalent, ASUS is the close, if not the biggest MB manufacturer out there, tons of OEM systems are built from their MBs.
    Last edited by pgrey; 12-08-2017 at 01:23 AM.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

Quote Originally Posted by pgrey View Post
    I mentioned this, about 5 pages back, that the ASUS UEFI implementation was pretty broken, depending on what drive(s) you might have enumerated this way.

This is why I posted my "fix", of moving to a (typically singular) RAID set, installing FCU, and then moving back to NVME. This works around the UEFI problem because the drive(s) are properly abstracted (behind the RAID layer).

I mean "what the heck", we're on a 3 month old BIOS (this is NOT the ASUS I've known for 15+ years or so), on a brand new "flagship" motherboard, and they can't get someone on this, to fix the UEFI problems? Really?
    It's not like their X299 isn't prevalent, ASUS is the close, if not the biggest MB manufacturer out there, tons of OEM systems are built from their MBs.
    It would actually be easier to turn off CSM, go to install windows and install the NVMe drivers. M.2 drivers will show up every time at that point. Then when done with install turn on CSM.
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 4x8 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p in a bootable VROC RAID 0 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Spatha
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

ROG Enthusiast Array Superbowl PC Specs
    Superbowl PC Specs
    MotherboardPrime X-299A
    Processori7-7820X
    Memory (part number)32 GB Kingston HyperX KHX3000C15D4/8GX
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
    MonitorLG 4K Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 512GB 960 Pro Nvme M.2
    Storage #2Western Digital SATA 7200 6 TB
    Power Supply1000W EVGA® SuperNOVA 80 Plus Certified PSU

The Microsoft engineer seems to think it is an a problem with the ASUS BIOS and firmware. He said:

"Yes, the Asus board is the most common one. It's a pretty subtle issue, only exposed by 1709 due to a slight increase in the boot image size (which is why previous versions worked fine) that results in the boot image being loaded into higher memory due to memory fragmentation on that specific motherboard with that specific firmware."

It seems that Microsoft and maybe even ASUS is working on a fix for this, but I would not hold my breath waiting for the fix.
    Last edited by Superbowl; 12-08-2017 at 02:42 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Brighttail View Post
    It would actually be easier to turn off CSM, go to install windows and install the NVMe drivers. M.2 drivers will show up every time at that point. Then when done with install turn on CSM.
    Yeah, but not in WinPE, this won't work, this is how I had things configured, when I went to update.
    The M.2 driver doesn't load properly, or the UEFI gets mucked up, or both, but the end result is the same.

CSM should "just work" in this case. Sure, it's slower, but it's way better than staring at a crash screen.
    If CSM worked, properly, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation at or, or it'd be limited to some edge-cases.

I'm not sure about the PE driver load too, it's likely skipping the NVME driver (inbox would be fine in this case), again I would guess due to a BIOS issue.

Is it ASUS or MS? Hard to say, but both sides should get fixed regardless, as it makes future scenarios much more robust.

I don't think I've ever seen ASUS updates less than monthly, for the first 3-6 months of a new MB, particularly one of the high-end ones. I've had a lot of their motherboards over quite a few years, built them into friends/family computers, etc, this is just plain bizarre, it's almost like they ditched their whole dev/test effort after releasing the board (I doubt this is true, but it's sure appearing like that).

I still think my RAID conversion is significantly easier, but maybe it's just that I've poked around in a lot of RAID configs. Maybe 10 minutes, tops, configuring to a RAID drive, and then reversing to NVME, when done.

You DO NOT want to be running CSM when you're done, or you'll be running at maybe 20% of NVME, if that.
    You might not really notice, unless you're doing something disk-intensive, but you're more or less going to "cap out" at around 500 or so that way.
    Last edited by pgrey; 12-09-2017 at 08:14 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Superbowl View Post
    The Microsoft engineer seems to think it is an a problem with the ASUS BIOS and firmware. He said:

"Yes, the Asus board is the most common one. It's a pretty subtle issue, only exposed by 1709 due to a slight increase in the boot image size (which is why previous versions worked fine) that results in the boot image being loaded into higher memory due to memory fragmentation on that specific motherboard with that specific firmware."

It seems that Microsoft and maybe even ASUS is working on a fix for this, but I would not hold my breath waiting for the fix.
    Yeah, they're loading it into "high mem", for WinPE anyway.
    ASUS has a switch for this, in the BIOS, but it doesn't work, on the X299 anyway.
    WinPE hasn't really had a need to advance in this area, mostly because things either load low, or the access switch "works properly" and things can be swapped in/out.
    I'm kind of annoyed at ASUS, they sure seem like they're abandoning the 299 series, from where I sit anyway...

ROG Enthusiast Array TheSpearman PC Specs
    TheSpearman PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus X299 Deluxe
    ProcessorIntel 7900X
    Graphics Card #1Asus Gtx 1080 FE
    Graphics Card #2Asus Gtx 1080 FE
    Sound CardCreative X-Fi Titanium HD
    MonitorAsus PG279Q 27-Inch
    CPU CoolerAlphacool EisBaer 360
    CaseMountainMods Ascension

BIOS 1004 just appeared for the X299 Prime Deluxe, so time to give that a go and see if it sorts anything. I don't see anything in the notes that suggest it does however.
    Last edited by TheSpearman; 12-10-2017 at 11:23 PM.

TheSpearman PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 7900X

That's BIOS 1004, not 1005, but either way, it doesn't fix it.

ROG Enthusiast Array Superbowl PC Specs
    Superbowl PC Specs
    MotherboardPrime X-299A
    Processori7-7820X
    Memory (part number)32 GB Kingston HyperX KHX3000C15D4/8GX
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
    MonitorLG 4K Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 512GB 960 Pro Nvme M.2
    Storage #2Western Digital SATA 7200 6 TB
    Power Supply1000W EVGA® SuperNOVA 80 Plus Certified PSU

I just updated to 1004. I did not try the update to 1709 yet, but I guess it is not looking like this will fix the problem. I will try it tomorrow.

I know Microsoft is going to issue a cumulative update for windows 1703 and 1709 this week on patch Tuesday. Maybe that with this new BIOS 1004 will help us upgrade. Who knows ?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpearman View Post
    That's BIOS 1004, not 1005, but either way, it doesn't fix it.
    Weird, from here?
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...Desk_Download/

I only see 0802, from 9/15, I fully flushed my browser cache, even tried another machine (that wouldn't have this page cached at all), and I looked at the page source, I can't find a "1005" or "1004" value that's relevant.

What's the date on it?

Edit: NEVER MIND, it's there now, from my view. I think possibly this was posted and retracted yesterday, I was looking at the site changes, and the 1004 string value wasn't there, and now is.
    Last edited by pgrey; 12-11-2017 at 06:52 PM.

TheSpearman PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 7900X

Quote Originally Posted by pgrey View Post
    Weird, from here?
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...Desk_Download/

I only see 0802, from 9/15, I fully flushed my browser cache, even tried another machine (that wouldn't have this page cached at all), and I looked at the page source, I can't find a "1005" or "1004" value that's relevant.

What's the date on it?
    It's listed in the drivers section, not the explicit BIOS section. It's dated November 14th internally.

Direct link is http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...958.1511291934

and the notes are the usual somewhat vague stuff:

Version 1004 2017/12/108.75 MBytes

PRIME X299-DELUXE BIOS 1004
    1.Fixed some keyboards issue
    2.Updated IRSTe to v5.2.0.1029
    3.Improved Q-Fan function
    4.Improved Intel VROC tech
    5.Improved system stability

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast