cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Fall Creators Update with a ASUS x299 MOB & Samsung NVMe SSD

Superbowl
Level 7
Lots of people, including myself, are having big problems trying to update Windows 10 to the Fall Creators Update. We all get error message 0xc00000bb when trying to reboot to install the FCU. It seems as though almost all the people have the same thing in common: ASUS X299 MOB, a Samsung NVMe SSD, and lots of us also seem to have SATA drives with the SSD. See here from the Microsoft Technet Users Forum with the URL below. Lots of people having the same issue. Can ASUS, Samsung or Microsoft put out some sort of fix for this so we can all update ?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/08485ba0-f69f-483b-861e-238f161dabee/problem-with-...
172 REPLIES 172

Korth
Level 14
Always beware any WinOS update, lol. Every major revision or service pack breaks compatibility with something (usually M.2, PCIe, USB, or RAID).

Always wise to fully backup/clone/image your entire system drive before applying such updates, a standard Windows Restore Point is almost always useless when serious Windows-centric problems occur. And always wise to let other people beta test things for you, wait a week or so and see how many others complain about the updates breaking their systems.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth
Level 14
Always beware any WinOS update, lol. Every major revision or service pack breaks compatibility with something (usually M.2, PCIe, USB, or RAID).
On the plus side, you can expect the most popular consumer products (like your Samsung NVMe SSD) to get compatibility fixed/patched with a few weeks at most.

Always wise to fully backup/clone/image your entire system drive before applying such updates, a standard Windows Restore Point is almost always useless when serious Windows-centric problems occur. And always wise to let other people beta test things for you, wait a week or so and see how many others complain about the updates breaking their systems.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Yes, I did a disc image backup of my C: drive before the update and have it on an external hard drive. Thanks for the advice.

Feklar
Level 8
What? A Win 10 update that broke something? Say it ain't so!

i9 12900k + Asus Maximus Z690 Apex + EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000l XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK+ Samsung 870 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Fractal Meshify 2 XL case
Ek Velocity 2 CPU block, Ek GPU block
Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
LG 38GL950G Monitor +
Windows 10 Pro

I have updated. R6E with 960pro boot drive on the DIMM.2

Took close to an hour but no problems.

smithkid wrote:

Do you have any SATA drives also installed ? I heard from some people if you have a Samsung 960 Pro as your boot drive, but other SATA drives installed that could be the problem. I was wondering if all your drives are SSD or do you have SATA drives, as well ?

Superbowl wrote:
Do you have any SATA drives also installed ? I heard from some people if you have a Samsung 960 Pro as your boot drive, but other SATA drives installed that could be the problem. I was wondering if all your drives are SSD or do you have SATA drives, as well ?

Good point. I have NO SATA drives installed.

smithkid wrote:

Two Polaris drives here on DIMM.2. No issues here, either.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

G75rog
Level 10
R6 Apex, 7900x here with 3 960 Pro's on Dimms and no Sata. "Windows setup is unable to configure your hardware" "Restoring previous Windows"