cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silly question?? GT-AC5300

disenter
Level 7
This might seem like a silly question, but how can I simply block a domain with GT-5300?

I would swear i have never had an issue with previous Asus routers (have 2x AC87u's running as media bridges on merlin firmware as well)
but I can't for the life of me seem to make it work.

On the Firewall tab, there seems only to be IPV6 firewall entry list, not IPV4. You would think it might accept both here, but it wont. It keeps telling me that my own local IP address is not valid.

The URL filter wont accept special characters, so I can't just add an ip with a /24 to block it that way.

And its the same for the network services filter, which wont allow me to add a simple domain block like 111.119.22.0/24

Yes, in case you're wondering, I wish to block Sony Japan to speed up my downloads for playstation...

Any idea's??? or do i just have to wait for firmware that actually has the features and options you'd expect from a $700AUD router?

Cheers!
Dave.
3 REPLIES 3

Korth
Level 14
Try Old Skool syntax, replace the slash (/) with a colon (:), in your example: 111.119.22.0:24.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

disenter
Level 7
I’m afraid that would be “old school” for specifying port 24 of a non existent IP address...

in any case, again, the “general” tab only appears to accept ipv6 entries here, and the network services tab for one only allows to whitelist or blacklist instead of both as it should...and further does not allow you to specify a domain, only a single ip.*

I setup a proxy server and had it block the domain instead.

But these are simple functions that should be a part of a $700AUD router.
It most certainly has enough cpu horsepower and ram to manage it!*

Korth
Level 14
Have you tried logging onto the router through a different browser? I've seen some corporate routers/gateways which, for webmaster-type reasons I don't really understand, have partly nonfunctional page scripts on different clients. One of the very few times I actually recommend using Microsoft's IE (the only other time being when running Windows Updates and navigating through Microsoft sites in general). Might not work anyways, but worth a shot.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]