Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI Suite 3 and UEFI Bugs - ROG Strix x299-XE Gaming

FaaR
Level 7
Gahh - *insert skull emoji here*

Possible UEFI bugs / misbehavior:
Warning: UEFI appears to ignore user-set voltage offset for the L3/mesh and instead apply its own rather brutal voltage curve.

Setting mesh multiplier to 32x gives almost 1.3 volts on the L3/mesh even if user sets a specific voltage offset! Also, offset is ignored entirely; UEFI sets the same voltage regardless of if user specified offset of +0.115V or +0.050V, in my testing.

I don't even know if such high mesh voltage is even safe for the CPU. I tried looking around, but did not find anything conclusive. I did not find anybody who recommended more than 1.2V for the mesh however, and most people recommend 1.15V at most. Needless to say I reduced mesh multiplier to reduce voltage fed to it as soon as I discovered what was going on, but not before already having run various benchmarks for several hours at excessively elevated voltage.

Now I am seeing some strange spontaneous program crashes, like my $1000 CPU is no longer stable. Needless to say, I am not a happy camper right now!

Also, UEFI appears to apply a 27x multiplier on the mesh by default, instead of the processor's actual 24x specs from Intel. This is without changing any settings in UEFI (or installing AI Suite 3.)

Possible AI Suite 3 bugs / misbehavior:
Simply installing AI Suite 3 bumps voltage on LLC/L3 mesh to 1.125V at all times regardless of processor load; not changing a thing either in the software itself or UEFI.

Also, AI Suite hangs the entire PC when attempting to adjust the LLC/mesh multiplier either up or down. Not sure if this started after I applied the autumn creator's patch for Win10 or not.
0 REPLIES 0