cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

high temperature when overclocking

amino1990
Level 7
Recently, I built my first computer and tried to overclock using this tutorial :https://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/the-kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/ I don't really understand it, but I can adjust the vcore and the multiplier to get 4.7 gHz with vcore =1.24 V. My computer can pass a 4 hours realbench while all the cores reach ~80 C (max temp =85 C). For me, this temperature is very high, and if I overclock ram with xmp profile, the temperature can even reach 88-90 C. How can I reduce the temperature? I don't know whether my cooling system has problem, or temperature drop can be only archived with better cooling system.
22 REPLIES 22

Nate152
Hi amino1990

The 7700k is known to run hot but I'd expect a little better temperatures with the H100i, there are a few things that can lead to higher temps. The best thing you can do is delid, it will reduce temps on average 15c.

1) What is your room temp ?
2) Did you use the pre-applied thermal compound or apply your own ?
3) Not enough thermal paste or applied unevenly
4) Waterblock not making good contact with the cpu
5) Faulty cpu cooler
Here are temps and voltage with my 7700k delidded, the Vcore is the cpu voltage.

JustinThyme
Level 13
amino1990 wrote:
Recently, I built my first computer and tried to overclock using this tutorial :https://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/the-kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/ I don't really understand it, but I can adjust the vcore and the multiplier to get 4.7 gHz with vcore =1.24 V. My computer can pass a 4 hours realbench while all the cores reach ~80 C (max temp =85 C). For me, this temperature is very high, and if I overclock ram with xmp profile, the temperature can even reach 88-90 C. How can I reduce the temperature? I don't know whether my cooling system has problem, or temperature drop can be only archived with better cooling system.

The 7700K is known to run hot when overclocking. Intel played a cruel joke by using toothpaste between the die and the IHS. If you want to get a decent OC you are going to have to do the delid process. You can either do it yourself or send it off to Silicon lottery and they will do it for a fee and test it to see what OC your chip is capable of.

I delidded mine and replaced the crappy TIM with cool labs liquid ultra and the temps dropped 20C. This is not to be taken lightly as this is metal TIM and easy to botch and it will 100% void your warranty.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I applied my thermal paste (kryonaut thermal grizzly) but the temperature was still high. I think my room temperature is ~20 C. If I delid my CPU, do I need to replace the liquid metal over time?

amino1990 wrote:
I applied my thermal paste (kryonaut thermal grizzly) but the temperature was still high. I think my room temperature is ~20 C. If I delid my CPU, do I need to replace the liquid metal over time?

The liquid metal TIM hasn’t been on the market all that long but so far there is no indication it breaks down and needs to be replaced.
20C is more than fine for an ambient.

You can apply all the TIM you want 20 ways from Sunday and it won’t change anything. Pulling heat off the IHS is pointless if the IHS isn’t pulling the heat off the die. **

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Hi,
Yesterday I delided my CPU and the temperature decreases dramatically. Using the guide I mentioned in the first post, I set the multiplier = 49, VCPU = 1.3 and tried a short stress test (15 mins with REALBENCH). The temperature is ~ 70 C. However, I got BSOD (< 15 mins with Realbench) when I increased the frequency from 4.5 to 5 GHz even if the VCPU is increased to 1.32 V. Is that the limit of my CPU? If I want to manually overclock Ram, which parameters should I change? I read some guides but I don't really understand how to do this step.

Nate152
Hi amino1990

Awesome on delidding, it was well worth it huh?

The BSOD means you need more VCPU, since your temps are very good you have some headroom.

Before raising the voltage, set LLC to level 5 or 6 and VCPU to 1.32v and run the test, if it stll BSOD's....

Increase the VCPU .01v and test each time, next would be 1.33v and if it BSOD's, try 1.34v. You shouldn't need up to 1.40v but it's safe if temps allow. Don't let temps go past 90c.

Let us know what voltage got you stable and what temps are too.

I think I see 5.0GHz coming. 🙂

I'm glad that I didn't break my CPU.:D
I set LLC to 5, VCPU =1.32, multiplier = 50 can pass the 4 hour tress test with the max temp ~83 C. Is that ok? I tried lower VCPUs but always got BSOD at some point during stress test. What should I do to overclock Ram?

Nate152
Yeah that's ok but temps seem a little high, was the voltage at 1.32v or close to it while running the test ?

To set your ram enable XMP or set your ram manually.

I want to manually overclock Ram, but which parameters should I adjust? Using HWINFO64, I found that the VCORE is 1.312, and the maximum VCORE is 1.328 when I run stress test.