cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is ECO MODE in the GX501 ASUS ROG Game Center?

DJRiful
Level 7
Hi, can someone explain me what is the ECO MODE in the game center?

I'm on ASUS Zephyrus GX501 laptop.
11 REPLIES 11

JustinThyme
Level 13
It’s going to be model specific but my guess is a reduced power profile to extend battery life.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
It’s going to be model specific but my guess is a reduced power profile to extend battery life.*

Well it's indeed something to do with power since I just unplug the AC, the ECO mode is forced ON. On AC, it can toggle on and off.

Korth
Level 14
Same thing the "eco" settings always do.

Save the rainforest, preserve biodiversity, reduce emissions, reduce pollution, keep your battery out of the landfill, quit smoking, cure cancer. I would say it saves the whales, too, but tech whales are not well loved and dumping laptops into the ocean probably wouldn't save any other kind of whales at all.

It works by throttling your machine at lower "power saving" performances. Stretches out battery charge. Ramps down heat output.

Impact varies from game to game, Minesweeper or Undertale wouldn't be at all affected, Crysis 3 or Rise of Tomb Raider would be crippled to unplayability.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Thanks.

I also found out I am missing a few ROG softwares. I wonder why. I am missing ROG GameFirst, ROG TurboGear. What happened to out of the box?

Any words on ROG Game Center for iOS?

Korth
Level 14
Apple makes and sells iOS devices. ASUS does not. Why would ASUS support iOS? I'm not even sure they'd be allowed to, lol. Though I could be wrong.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

After updating BIOS to version 309 of the Zephyrus GX501 Model, the notebook keyboard has stopped working, and the ECOMODE is ON even with the AC On, so I can not get the maximum performance from my Video Card (GTX 1080) Any idea what to do?

Contact tech support or/ install an earlier version of the bios with a manual / offline flash? Have you tried plugging in an external keyboard - this way you should be able to go into Windows and rollback this bios update.

Pheebau wrote:
Contact tech support or/ install an earlier version of the bios with a manual / offline flash? Have you tried plugging in an external keyboard - this way you should be able to go into Windows and rollback this bios update.

I tried to downgrade as indicated by the support but it did not work, the support asked to send the notebook to them, I'm in Brazil, they gave me an estimate of $ 1460 for the keyboard only concert, without the cost of shipping, which leaves me with much anger, was that the problem happens after they released a BIOS update of them, it was not a third-party software, it's asus software that was not well tested, and now asus does not want to be held responsible