cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage Vi Extreme GPU PCIe slot for Dual VGA SLI

CloverJi
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I received my r6e yesterday but I find out that I cannot install my GPU on the first Pcie x16 slot because the I/O shield (bottom of shield takes room).

So I have to install my vga to the second slot, which is x8.

However, the manual of r6e indicated that IN CASE OF Sli of dual VGA the PCIex8_2 slot is N/A. Does that mean I cannot use the second slot + the fourth slot?
Is that necessary to remove the io shield to make the first slot available?

Plus, is there any place I can buy one more VGA holder like the bundled one? There's no such a product any where.

Any comment is appreciated.

Best!

CloverJ
6 REPLIES 6

JustinThyme
Level 13
What card are you using that interferes with the I/O shield? Id be looking at a different graphics card if I were in that position. The top of the card should not protrude that far above the mount. Ive had two in there from two different manufactures that posed no issue at all on air or water.

Can you post the cards you are using and the CPU? On 28 lane CPUs you are in fact limited.
I cant imagine installing one of them in anything other than slot 1.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
What card are you using that interferes with the I/O shield? Id be looking at a different graphics card if I were in that position. The top of the card should not protrude that far above the mount. Ive had two in there from two different manufactures that posed no issue at all on air or water.

Can you post the cards you are using and the CPU? On 28 lane CPUs you are in fact limited.
I cant imagine installing one of them in anything other than slot 1.

HI, my cpu is i9 7920
I just figured out that colorful igame 1080 won't fit in the first slot but MSI gaming z 1080 does fit in.

JustinThyme
Level 13
I just looked at that card......OUCH!! My bet is there other boards it wont fit in either!! Thats a wacked design.
As for bundled parts like the VGA support, you may get lucky and find someone selling one off on Fleabay or beg someone who has the kit but isnt using it for a favor. These pieces are not normally available on the retail market.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
I just looked at that card......OUCH!! My bet is there other boards it wont fit in either!! Thats a wacked design.
As for bundled parts like the VGA support, you may get lucky and find someone selling one off on Fleabay or beg someone who has the kit but isnt using it for a favor. These pieces are not normally available on the retail market.

Appreciate that!

Brighttail
Level 11
I know it is not the OPTIMAL choice, but what if you took OFF the backplate? It may give you JUST enough clearance and might be better than getting a whole new card. With the support block you shouldn't have to worry about bending.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

G75rog
Level 10
Ran into that problem on a Maximus VIII Extreme with an XFX Fury X. Removed the offending MB cover and continued on. Some day I'll get around to clamping the cover in the milling machine and make room for the card....