Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

I have this happen every so often when playing audio. Most of the time it gets fixed by muting and then unmuting the main audio control.

ROG Junior Member Array

Hey there,
    I went to nearest ASUS they ordered a new speakers for me they installed them and yet I'm still having the same problem.
    Will there you go we need a software update or the motherboard has a problem ...

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array ROG_HARDCORE PC Specs
    ROG_HARDCORE PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GX501VI Zephyrus
    MotherboardROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-7980XE
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4-4700MHz Trident Z RGB
    Graphics Card #1ROG Poseidon GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Platinum edition
    Graphics Card #2ROG Poseidon GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Platinum edition
    Graphics Card #3ROG Poseidon GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Platinum edition
    Graphics Card #4ROG Poseidon GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Platinum edition
    Monitor2X ASUS ROG Swift Curved PG348Q
    Storage #12TB Samsung 960 PRO
    Storage #22TB Samsung 960 PRO

Can anyone clarify what latest bios provide? is the fix provided? Why is it so difficult to provide a change-log asus slaves??? why is it so hard to write ? You don't know how to write English? Use chinese then! I bet asus don't even know what they doing!

ROG Junior Member Array

Based on what I've read so far, it would seem like a likely candidate for the issue is the Ti Smart Amplifier ICs used in the GX501. The amplifiers are supposed to monitor excursion, temperature, voltage and use a model of each speaker to increase the sound pressure levels without damaging the speakers. Perhaps the calibration was not performed correctly, or is not done on a per unit basis (which the Ti document seems to imply should be done). If for some reason the calibration model is different from the speakers, the feedback could lead to instability and oscillation. Anyone here on the forum knows the exact Ti part number used? Here's the tuning guide for reference:
    http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa751/slaa751.pdf

The calibration data is not hard coded, which would lead me to believe that somehow a fix could be implemented through a BIOS update. Perhaps we could enable feed forward protection only?

ROG Junior Member Array

I uninstalled their version of Realtek Audio Drivers (currently at V6.0.1.8219) and installed it through Windows instead. It's been about a month and I haven't experienced any distortion since then.

New ROGer Array

I also have a left speaker distortion that happens between 350 Hz - 450 Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by PiTpOsSuM View Post
    Still have the distortion on my left speaker. But here is what I have found out. When reproducing the speaker distortion lift up the very front of your notebook chassi. My distortion only occurs when it stands flat on the table. When lifting the front a bit...only for a few millimeters... the distortion is gone. Try it out and please give feedback to me...
    Indeed and I've found the same to be true. The distortion I'm experiencing has nothing to do with drivers or software, it's the chassis that starts vibrating. Specifically the removable bottom plate. If I put pressure on the plate (e.g. by lifting the laptop while having my fingers below the left speaker on the plate) the distortion gets a lot worse. Conversely if I relieve pressure (e.g. by lifting the laptop while holding only the edges) then the distortion goes away completely!

A pretty decent permanent solution would probably be to glue on some rubber feet to the laptop corners so that the bottom plate doesn't touch the table. I haven't done that yet though. Thus far I've just used the handrest that comes with the laptop. I put that slightly below the front of the laptop and it fixes the distortion problem for me.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Zephyrus-sound.jpg  

New ROGer Array

Angry Same issue with GL703gm-ns73

I am having the same issue with three brand new out of box ROG GL703G-NS73's. I received my first one and did many tests and sent it back to Newegg. I updated every driver and every software package.
    Out of box, the second was having the same issue. The moment Cortona started speaking to setup Windows, her voice was distorted.
    A friend made the mistake of buying the same one before I received my first and is having the same problem. I have done a lot of research on this issue on many fourms, including this one. It is not isolated to any one model and has been going on for some time. Simply google "ASUS audio clipping" or "ASUS audio distortion." you will come across a wealth of information dating back to 2013.
    My third RMA is being shipped back to me right now and after reading this forum, it looks like it will be going back for a full refund.
    I emailed ASUS customer service with a complaint with the below examples last week and got such a generic reply, it could have been in reply to any complaint sent to them.
    Thank you ASUS, for tarnishing your name and taking what should have been a happy moment for me and turning into a 3 week ordeal that that looks like it's going to end with me sending it back for a refund and buying a different brand.

1. Where is the location of the sound (specific place)?
    Left Speaker

2. In what situations it will happen? (playing music/games/watching youtube(link)..., etc.)
    Any sound. Youtube videos, Windows notifications. Narrowed it down to sounds between 250hz-500hz frequencies. Turning down EQ on both will stop it, but renders any use of presets useless and sound quality is horrible.

3. Is there any external device be used? (mouse/adapter?)
    No

4. Is there any video available?
    Here are four videos I made myself as an example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7LPK_4pbP8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL3N3plMl20
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5c4bEToXm0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1BaQR2R84I

Quote Originally Posted by OnePiece@ASUS View Post
    Hi all

In order to speed up the confirmation of the problem, would you please tell us the following messages:
    2. In what situations it will be happened? (playing music/games/watching youtube(link)..., etc.)

Thanks for your great support.
    Last edited by DustyinLVNV; 11-26-2018 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Redundant quote and additional info.

New ROGer Array

3rd RMA had same issue.

Just an update. I got my 3rd RMA today from Newegg and it had the same exact issue. I tried using peace after updating everything to adjust the sound. Uninstall sonic and reinstalled. Did everything ever forum said to do to no avail. I have now RMA'd it as a refund and bought a different brand.

Quote Originally Posted by DustyinLVNV View Post
    I am having the same issue with three brand new out of box ROG GL703G-NS73's. I received my first one and did many tests and sent it back to Newegg. I updated every driver and every software package.
    Out of box, the second was having the same issue. The moment Cortona started speaking to setup Windows, her voice was distorted.
    A friend made the mistake of buying the same one before I received my first and is having the same problem. I have done a lot of research on this issue on many fourms, including this one. It is not isolated to any one model and has been going on for some time. Simply google "ASUS audio clipping" or "ASUS audio distortion." you will come across a wealth of information dating back to 2013.
    My third RMA is being shipped back to me right now and after reading this forum, it looks like it will be going back for a full refund.
    I emailed ASUS customer service with a complaint with the below examples last week and got such a generic reply, it could have been in reply to any complaint sent to them.
    Thank you ASUS, for tarnishing your name and taking what should have been a happy moment for me and turning into a 3 week ordeal that that looks like it's going to end with me sending it back for a refund and buying a different brand.

Left Speaker

2. In what situations it will happen? (playing music/games/watching youtube(link)..., etc.)
    Any sound. Youtube videos, Windows notifications. Narrowed it down to sounds between 250hz-500hz frequencies. Turning down EQ on both will stop it, but renders any use of presets useless and sound quality is horrible.

No

Here are four videos I made myself as an example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7LPK_4pbP8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL3N3plMl20
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5c4bEToXm0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1BaQR2R84I

Quote Originally Posted by DJRiful View Post
    I heard and seen people complain about the distortion but I never realize until I hit this video you YouTube. The high pitch frequency everytime he pronounce cause the the sound on my left speaker to go static "shrsrhshrsr" awkwardly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3Qe1ECXgb8

Can someone at ASUS test this?

I have BIOS 300 with latest drivers.

My volume is only around 50-60% on Microsoft EDGE browser. It doesn't seem to happen on Chrome. After playing on Chrome, I went back to EDGE after this post. It doesn't happen anymore.

Then switch to my Logitech G933, it plays fine.

I opened up the Laptop to see if the left speaker was installed properly.
    The screw was tight which held the left speaker but it was still wobbly,
    because there was very tiny gap at the top and bottom of the left speaker.
    it vibrates and hits the chassis whenever it is producing the high pitch sounds and causing the distortion.
    I put a thin paper under the speaker to cushion it but the distortion seems to persist, although much less.

ROG Member Array

Angry

I just received my brand new GX501. $2600, gtx 1080... everything is good at first glance...

At the system setup, as soon as windows 10 booted for the first time, I hear the windows default chime... Ohhh lord. The speaker sounded like it had sand on it...

It sounded very distorted, almost like when you are tuning your electric guitar's distortion, and you get a horrible ugly distortion until you get it fine tuned...
    Almost like using a 300 watts amp on a 50 w speaker... It's nasty...

The left speaker isnt too bad, but still not acceptable.
    The right speaker, I better off take my plasma cutter, and cut that right side lower corner right out...I need to get that speaker out of there at all costs.

BUT... for the price I paid, I will be returning it, since I know after reading many many threads, I hear tons of people are doing a RMA on these, then when they get it back, not only the down time, but also it comes back the same !!! WTF man...

Ok... It's a gaming laptop, and we will be wearing headphones when we play...
    But, for a laptop of this caliber, and this price, there is no way in hell I would accept these speakers.

Laptop return request for a full refund. I am going with the competitor on this one.

A little disappointed.. I have been building high end computers for 18 years, every 2 years... All the main components, mother board, gpu... I always choose ASUS... But on this one, I couldn't believe it when I heard it.

Complete Trash.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast