cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI being shipped unprotected

Oakhome
Level 7
Was an owner of the Asus Rampage VI Extreme MB for all of a day until I returned it. For reasons unknown I received it with most of the protective plastic removed along with dirt and fingerprints all over. It had plastic covering the IO shield and the ROG nameplate, but nowhere else.

For a MB that cost me nearly £650/$820 it was quite the disappointment (understatement). Sent it back, and waiting for it to be received by the seller, before deciding what to do next.

Anyone else experience this?
8 REPLIES 8

mpoffo
Level 10
Oakhome wrote:
Was an owner of the Asus Rampage VI Extreme MB for all of a day until I returned it. For reasons unknown I received it with most of the protective plastic removed along with dirt and fingerprints all over. It had plastic covering the IO shield and the ROG nameplate, but nowhere else.

For a MB that cost me nearly £650/$820 it was quite the disappointment (understatement). Sent it back, and waiting for it to be received by the seller, before deciding what to do next.

Anyone else experience this?

While this might not be the case with yours, many received their extreme boards with some finger prints and some of the plastic covering starting to peel off. Mine had finger prints and all the plastic on it but some were starting to curl. This has been discussed several times but many of the early boards had the VRM heat sink changed on them, so finding some finger prints was not uncommon.

To my knowledge most did not have issues with their boards and most were easily cleaned up. I know it is not something you would expect when you pay out a large sum of cash for a board like this nevertheless it happened.

Did the board not work?

I suppose it is possible that someone returned it but that is what a number of people on this forum found with the first set of boards off Newegg in the US as least.

My board works great so far.
RVIE X299 System:
Windows 10 Prof 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x | ASUS Rampage VI Extreme | Corsair AX 1200i PSU
Corsair 900D | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL Trident RGB Series | RTX 3090/EVGA GTX 1080 | Acer X34 Predator Monitor
Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive
Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup

I didn't have any of the missing plastic or peeling issues but was surprised to see that it was just a matter of flipping open the box lid and removing the clear molded plastic cover on top to gain access to the board. The dark grey aluminum sheet on the IO shield that has the name printed on it keeps coming loose at one end due to the 2-way tape not sticking properly or whatever it was that was used.

Homewrecker
Level 9
I didn't have any of the plastic peeling issues but was surprised to see that it was just a matter of flipping open the box lid and removing the clear molded plastic cover on top to gain access to the board. The dark grey aluminum sheet on the IO shield that has the name printed on it keeps coming loose at one end due to the 2-way tape not sticking properly or whatever it was that was used.

JustinThyme
Level 13
The only place mine had any plastic on it was the ROG logo under the socket. The metallic pieces over the PCH and the top of the I/O shield had manufactuing residue on it and a few finger prints on the plastic. A soft microfiber towel with a little mild cleaner on took care of any residue and finger prints. Truth be known I would have smudged it up anyhow during the build process. So long as there were no gouges or scratches its of no concern to me. The plastic is a PITA to get off at times anyhow.

I don't believe there was any work done on mine, if so whoever did it has some seriously incredible solder skills if they can replicate that of a wave soldering line and leave no residue or flux behind. Im just happy I got a board that is still extremely difficult to come by in the US and its up and running with amazing results thusfar....with the exception of the Win 10 Fall creators update issues that Im still sorting out but thats nothing to do with the board and how it look or works..

Just look as this hideous specimen!!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

xarot
Level 11
This is nothing new, my Rampage IV Black Edition mobos also had fingerprints on them, also the RVE10 was dirty when I got it. I didn't check my R6 Extreme much but I always check for scratches and bent pins, found none. Also with my R6 Apex the plastic was half way peeled off, but I am sure all these mobos are new. It's just Asus QC style, sometimes it is just less than many expect. But if the mobo is fine, why bother?
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling

Korth
Level 14
"! Important:
- Install processor FIRST then remove and KEEP the cover.
- Well place this cover while removing processor or returning motherboard."

One of the M9C mobos I bought had this sticker in the usual spot. And two extras that had snagged onto a corner of the socket and stuck onto each other.

Completely harmless and even a little amusing. Though I do wonder who fell asleep in the QA or packaging dept that shift, and if the next two motherboards didn't have their stickers.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Thanks everyone for your responses.

In hindsight I may have overreacted, but my initial thought was that I'd been sent either a return board or a demo board. I've never received a hardware component without any form of seal on the box, and certainly not with only some of the protective plastic in place - not to mention dirt and fingermarks all over.

I'm new to the Asus brand, seems unusual if this is typical for their quality control :confused:

Incidentally, I'm building my computer from scratch and hadn't yet received the case when I returned it - so never tested it

Got a replacement board, it too came without plastic protection and with fingerprints here and there. This time only one - quite noticeable - smear.

Guess this then illustrates Asus quality control