cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero - Couple of pre-purchase questions

DaleR
Level 7
After days of deciding what board to go for I'm about to order a Maximus X Hero for my 8700K

I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm coming from a Hero VII which has 3 display outputs and I have 3 screens, the M10H only has 2 display outputs, is there any way to run 2 displays off the display port like you can on some computers, to get 3 separate individual outputs?

2. I'm tempted to go for the WiFI version to gain Bluetooth, WiFi isn't really much use but it's handy, however I've studied both manuals and can't get an answer to this, does the WiFI version lose anything at all, such as PCIe lanes etc?

Thanks and can't wait to get it 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

Menthol
Level 14
1. no idea, use a graphics card
2. I don't think so, if you start using NVME drives you'll loose some sata ports

Menthol wrote:
1. no idea, use a graphics card
2. I don't think so, if you start using NVME drives you'll loose some sata ports

I don't use graphics card, the onboard one is fine for my uses.

Korth
Level 14
I don't know about MAXIMUS X HERO, but embedded WiFi controller on the earlier MAXIMUS IX was linked to PCH (the same way as the wired network controllers). It doesn't use any CPU PCIe lanes unless it says so in the manual or specs.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
I don't know about MAXIMUS X HERO, but embedded WiFi controller on the earlier MAXIMUS IX was linked to PCH (the same way as the wired network controllers). It doesn't use any CPU PCIe lanes unless it says so in the manual or specs.

Thank you, I couldn't see anything in the manual about it, but as the Z270 is very similar I should imagine it would be the same.
When I bought the HERO VII the Ranger VII had more PCI lanes due to it not having an extra SATA controller IIRC.